Sounds like you nailed it Chris-27, thanks so much for the great feedback!!

I’ve been pairing it with some green veggies but just wondering what sides you would suggest to go with it? (Of course, if you want to make it with beef instead, I won't tell on you). Flour tortillas that are airy, tender, and subtly sweet. Well, I like to think they do.

Place eggplant slightly overlapping in a large colander. This is the second recipe i made of yours I think it’s time to follow you on Pinterest. Learn more in the Comment Policy section of our Terms of Use page. It gives your guests some time to sip some wine and yourself some time to throw together a big green salad.

of the classic recipe. This is one of my favourite go to recipes and the rest of the family love it also. I love hearing how you went with my recipes! I would say that’s an A+ for you and I. Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.

Classic moussaka is made by layering potatoes, eggplants, and a meaty lamb sauce, and then covering the dish in an egg-enriched béchamel sauce that crisps up and becomes golden brown in the oven.

A necessity because Moussaka has a nice big thick layer of Béchamel Sauce, far thicker than I use in Lasagna.

They must’ve been swooping down and stealing it from right between his paws. After finishing my degree from the University of Toronto in Studio Art and English I moved to Boston to complete my MA in the Gastronomy program at Boston University and a culinary diploma from The Cambridge Culinary School of Arts. Sauteed onions and orange bell pepper to start, thinly sliced garlic after a bit, … If it wasn’t set, it would just run everywhere! I hate / love that part when you crack through the crunchy golden topping.

Some recipes fry, I prefer to bake because you use far less oil. N x. Hubby told me after first slice I was not allowed to give any of this away. Grilling the eggplant was Sooooo easy… Great tip. Repeat with remaining eggplant. The step photos below are pretty self explanatory I think! Pop it into the oven to bake away, and THIS is what comes out….

Remove from the stove and whisk in cheese, nutmeg, Vegeta/stock powder (or salt) and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then lower heat to medium low and cook for 15 minutes, or until reduced to a thick sauce. I’ve made this several times alway s with great results but I made the mistake of feeding neighbours and now I get constant requests I’m giving them your website they can now make their own I hope Thanks again for making me look good❤️. Moussaka is to the Greek what Lasagna is to Italians. Traditionally, the eggplant slices are fried but there’s plenty of recipes (even from Greek cookbooks) that grill/broil, bake or BBQ the eggplant.

Totally worth every single pot and pan. As with all iconic dishes of the world, I imagine that every Greek family surely has their own version of Moussaka.

Last minute change of plans.

Lower oven to 180C/350F (all oven types). Heat olive oil in a large skillet or pot over high heat, then cook the garlic and onion for 2 minutes. I’m so happy it was a hit! Every bite my husband took was followed by “this is soooo good”. Can you put it all together and bake tomorrow?

Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment.

Sprinkle with some salt. Initially, I scolded him, thinking he had buried it and that I’d have to deal with muddy paw prints through the house when he decided to dig it up for snack time. I will be making this Moussaka, regularly! But his furry paws were completely clean. Stirring constantly, slowly add the milk. The bechamel was creamy and delicious. Sounds like you nailed it Judy!! Not like what we see in Lasagna and gratin dishes like this seafood pasta Gratin.

Pat eggplant dry - make sure to do this well, otherwise it's too salty.

– Nagi x. PS If you’re thinking about all the washing up, double it and that’s about how much mess I created when I made this for the recipe video!!!

Since this time, it has evolved a wee bit pursuant to other Greek cookbooks that have crossed my path, but the core of the recipe is still very much the original recipe. Leave to sweat for 30 minutes. My husband and I operate a drum and bass record store, and have two cats, Rita and Sheryl. Then stir regularly for 3 to 5 minutes or until it thickens so that it thickly coats the back of a wooden spoon (see video / step photos). Thank you!

Moussaka is a traditional Greek dish made with cooked potatoes, roasted eggplant, and a sauce of ground lamb, all covered in a rich, cheesy sauce that lies somewhere between a bechamel and a custard. I love the subtle hint of cinnamon and oregano in this – a nice reminder that it’s not to be confused with everybody’s favourite Bolognese! Authentic Moussaka: Soak eggplant slices in salted water for an hour, pat dry. Your email address will not be published. Read more…, Vary the marinade, and you can serve flank steak in endless variation all summer. We may earn a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy.

. thanks for a great meal. It involves a few components, but each one has simple flavors that come together to make a more complex final product. This is serious comfort food – a low carb one!

Many thanks, and “Hi” to Sir Dozer. It’s made with eggs (which is not in usual Béchamel sauces) so it sets when it bakes. Recipe followed exactly, although I don’t use wine, A winner on each occasion. I will be making it again , I took some to work the next day for my Greek boss to try and she was very pressed ‘nailed it’, Hi Nagi! Do not crowd the pan, do this in batches and make sure the eggplant is well browned and tender. I’ve never had Moussaka and we loved this! Some HTML is OK: link, strong, em. Thank you for great, easy to follow instructions. Hi Carly, I usually pair with just a simple side salad like this one: https://www.recipetineats.com/rocket-salad-with-balsamic-dressing/ and even garlic bread at times! If you see something not so nice, please, report an inappropriate comment.

Your email address will not be published. Hi Margie, I usually do a simple salad like this: https://www.recipetineats.com/rocket-salad-with-balsamic-dressing/ and garlic bread N x. cooked this six times now. Inspired by the Serious Eats version but not following the recipe specifically. These giant cookies aren't for the faint of heart. All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. Moussaka is a traditional Greek dish made with cooked potatoes, roasted eggplant, and a sauce of ground lamb, all covered in a rich, cheesy sauce that lies somewhere between a bechamel and a custard. Why salt the eggplant? Sauté ground lamb or beef with onion, garlic, cinnamon and a pinch of clove.

There’s a vast volume of eggplant here and it takes 3 trays. This is the best moussaka I’ve ever made. Hate it, because I just want to admire how great it looks (ok, I’m lying, I want *people* to admire it  so I can bask in the glory, yes it’s totally childish but let me have that moment because do you KNOW how many pots and pans I dirtied MAKING THIS??!!!). Bake for 30 - 40 minutes or until golden brown. Read more…, Florence Fabricant’s recommendations for the week of July 9th. Add chopped fresh or a can of plum tomatoes, and cook until thick.

It’s no different to layering up a lasagna except we use eggplant in place of pasta sheets. That sauce is outstanding! My entire family absolutely loved this “Greek lasagna.” The panko topping is genius, and adds a lovely crunch. A rich tomato meat sauce layered with eggplant instead of pasta sheets, and topped with a thick layer of béchamel sauce, this traditional Greek recipe takes time to assemble – but it’s well worth the effort.

Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake at 350 until Diner’s Journal is ceasing publication so that we can create a single Dining section destination: nytimes.com/dining.

blasphemy to bake rather than fry the eggplant. Fry them in plenty of olive oil. It’s topped with breadcrumbs for a great crunchy topping – because everybody loves a good crunchy topping! Lay on parchment paper lined trays (you might need 3 trays, work in batches), brush with oil. Thank you Nagi for your easy to follow & delicious recipe. Although moussaka is a dish most associated with Greece, it is in fact well known in many other countries in the Middle East, each having its own version of this hearty and filling casserole. Brush eggplant slices with olive oil and place on rack on a sheet tray and bake in at 375[°] oven for … Once you and your guests are ready, pour over the cheese sauce and pop it in the oven until brown and bubbly. Place a deep pan over high heat. Then I saw THIS: Dozer looking anxiously up into the pine tree at a MAGPIE that had stolen his bone. Top with remaining eggplant, then pour over the Béchamel Sauce, sprinkle with breadcrumbs.

Read more…, A list of wines to take to your summer rental.Read more…, Diana Bush, a baker at the NoMad, works from 8 p.m. to dawn making the restaurant’s bread.Read more…, Front Burner: An Unusual Vegetable, Ceramic Ice Cream Cones and More. if any?

I think they’re working in teams and sharing the prize. Required fields are marked *. I believe you can make great food with everyday ingredients even if you’re short on time and cost conscious. Join my free email list to receive THREE free cookbooks!

Pour sauce over the casserole. The meat sauce for Moussaka is traditionally made with lamb but it’s equally delicious with beef. Comments can take a minute to appear—please be patient! I’d give this recipe 10 stars, if I could. Thank you for all your wonderful and delicious recipes! Two reasons: to extract excess liquid (otherwise you end up with watery moussaka) and to remove any potential for bitterness (high heat of BBQ will avoid the need for this). Oh wait – one big difference between Moussaka meat sauce and Bolognese – this is much thicker.

I went a light on the heat with this batch because I was cooking for people who aren't super into spices. It’s a traditional recipe sourced from a Greek cookbook called The Food And Cooking Of Greece which I found at my local library back in 2015.