Local bakeries stayed open to make fresh bread for the guests. Some went to see the local forests.

Read on to hear this touching account of how kindness persevered during a time of darkness... We were about five hours out of Frankfurt flying over the North Atlantic. No one on the ground was allowed to come near the aircrafts. The page you are looking at will not be updated. A quick request was made to the Canadian traffic controller and a turn to Gander was approved immediately. (But don’t worry–she’s seen it about 100 more times since then!)

we are told that hospitality should be shown to strangers, for you may be entertaining angels. Read on to learn how this story has since inspired a movie and Broadway musical about the true events of that day. If any women wanted to be in a women-only facility, that was arranged. He further stated that he would like to do something in return for the good folks of the town of Lewisporte. We were about five hours out of Frankfurt flying over the North Atlantic. Elections: Liberal Landslides and Tory Tides, Showdown on the Prairies: A History of Saskatchewan Elections, Territorial Battles: Yukon Elections, 1978-2006, The 'Other Revolution': Louis Robichaud's New Brunswick, Equality First: The Royal Commission on the Status of Women, Pot and Politics: Canada and the Marijuana Debate, Sue Rodriguez and the Right-To-Die Debate, Trudeau's Omnibus Bill: Challenging Canadian Taboos, Voting in Canada: How a Privilege Became a Right. It is a celebration of the best in humankind.". View production, box office, & company info. The gentleman picked up the P.A. With Shawn Ashmore, David Suchet, Joanne Whalley, Colin Buchanan.

Life in Postwar Canada, A Passion for Paddling: Canoeing in Canada, Sun, Swimming and S'mores: Summer Camp in Canada, Kid Lit: Morningside Children's Book Panels, The October Crisis: Civil Liberties Suspended, Fumbles and Stumbles: Great Election Gaffes, Leaders' Debates 1968-2011: Arguing for Canada, Outside Looking In: Small Parties in Federal Politics, Addressing the Nation: Prime Ministers of Canada, Scandals, Boondoggles and White Elephants, Separation Anxiety: The 1995 Quebec Referendum, Their Excellencies: Canada's Governors General Since 1952, À la prochaine fois: The 1980 Quebec Referendum, Swearing In: U.S. Presidential Inaugurations, Nelson Mandela: Prisoner, President, Peacemaker, Making the Mosaic: Multiculturalism in Canada, Phil Fontaine: Native Diplomat and Dealmaker, Jean Chrétien: From Pool Hall to Parliament Hill, Lester B. Pearson: From Peacemaker to Prime Minister, Pierre Elliott Trudeau: Philosopher and Prime Minister, Sir John A. Macdonald: Architect of Modern Canada, The Long Run: The Political Rise of John Turner, Trudeaumania: A Swinger for Prime Minister, Electing Dynasties: Alberta Campaigns Since 1935, Friendly Rivalries: Manitoba Elections Since 1966.

Gander control told us to stay put. They converted all these facilities to a mass lodging area.

As a resident of Gander for 41 years, and was a volunteer during the 9/11 events..this is the worst movie I have ever seen...from the ATC at a rocky shore..and has to work in 1 hour....he wasn't near Gander!! We found out later why there was no hesitation by the Canadian controller approving our request. Our flight back to Atlanta looked like a party flight.

Food was prepared by all the residents and brought to the school. On 9/11, 38 planes were rerouted to Gander, Newfoundland. Below is the story of a Delta flight rerouted to Canada due to the attacks. The story of the generosity and empathy shown the more than 6,700 US passengers by our Canadian neighbors in Newfoundland is now an inspiring documentary. The ‘You Are Here: A Come from Away Story’ movie shares the story behind this amazing show of hospitality to our nation in our time of need. Gander ended up with 53 airplanes from all over the world, 27 of which were flying U.S. flags. A flight attendant who was onboard tells the story. RELATED: Bible Verse Fused To 9/11 Rubble Exposes An Important Message.

As soon as I got there I noticed the crew had one of those "all business" looks on their faces.

During the day, the passengers were taken on "excursion trips." Our 218 passengers ended up in a town called Lewisporte, a while away from Gander. Canada's Gander International Airport in Newfoundland offered refuge to 7,000 displaced airplane passengers on 9/11 and inspired the hit musical "Come from Away." But so were God's angels! Elections, 1952-2005, N.B.

When it came time for the passengers to fly back to Atlanta, it was like they had been on a cruise.

86 min

He said he was going to set up a trust fund under the name of DELTA 15 (our flight number). (Source: Nav Canada). • It took up to four days for all the aircraft and passengers to leave Gander for their destinations.

You are my glory!

How The East Was Won: Nova Scotia Elections Since 1949, How the West is Won: B.C.

A few minutes later, I went back to the cockpit to find out that some airplanes had been hijacked and were being flown into buildings all over the U.S. We decided to make an announcement and LIE to the passengers for the time being. It was quickly decided that the nearest airport was 400 miles away, behind our right shoulder, in the town of Gander, on the Canadian island of Newfoundland. GANDER, Newfoundland — They still don't know what all the fuss is about. After the events of Sept. 11, New Yorkers struggle to come to grips with what happened to their city. RELATED: Bible Verse Fused To 9/11 Rubble Exposes An Important Message. There were loud gasps and stares of disbelief.

The sense of community, hospitality and unity that followed the terror is truly inspiring. But the stunned pause quickly gave way to action. More than 6,000 passengers and crew were taken in by families there. Satan was certainly at work on September 11.

The locals were so friendly and they just knew that we were the "plane people.".

A town of 9,000 took in 7,000 passengers for 4 days until American airspace reopened.

Some people went on boat cruises on the lakes and harbors.

Softwood Lumber Dispute, Breaking the Ice: Canada and the Northwest Passage, The Confederation Bridge: P.E.I.

He asked for donations of any amount from his fellow travelers. They were given tokens to go to the local Laundromat to wash their clothes, since their luggage was still on the aircraft.

They were swapping stories of their stay. You are my glory!

We never, never, allow that.

And while the landmark surgery…. And even though Dolly loves the spotlight,…, After 3 days, a missing cat returns home to his owners with a note around his collar.

Others were driven to the eatery of their choice and were fed. and reminded everyone about what they had just gone through in the last few days. A flight attendant on a 9/11 Delta flight rerouted during the attacks shares the compassion she witnessed firsthand in a community near Gander Newfoundland.

Has Confederation Been Good for Newfoundland? Delta Flight Attendant’s Account of 9/11 Plane Diverted to Newfoundland Canada.

But, as this CBC-TV report shows, the unexpected visitors have found a meal and a bed thanks to the hard work of a small army of volunteers.

We knew it was a serious situation and we needed to find terra firma quickly. Some had cots set up, some had mats with sleeping bags and pillows set up. (Story updated 9/11/19) When we remember September 11, it's hard not to focus on the sadness and the sheer terror from that day. But did you know each of these stars served…, When a pregnant waitress at Waffle House and a pastor discovered they had a special connection, they knew God was…, Dolly Parton and Carl Dean, her husband, have been married for 54 years. 9/11 attacks in U.S. remembered with ceremonies, appeals to 'never forget' The Plane People of September 11 Gander's Ripple Effect: How a Newfoundland town's kindness made it to Broadway The population of Gander, Newfoundland is estimated to be around 9,400 in 2001. The passengers were exchanging phone numbers, addresses, and email addresses.

They were put in a high school.

As soon as I got there I noticed the crew had one of those "all business" looks on their faces. 1) “The LORD is a safe place for the oppressed-a safe place in difficult times” (Psalm 9:9), 2) “I know the plans I have in mind for you, declares the LORD; they are plans for peace, not disaster, to give you a future filled with hope” (Jeremiah 29:11), 3) “But you, LORD, are my shield! On September 11th, 2001, 38 planes headed to New York City were diverted to Gander, Newfoundland, Canada. Officials didn't know whether the planes posed a threat and wanted to minimize any potential threat to large buildings in Canada.

Directed by Alex Chapple.

Her plane was one of the 38 that landed in Newfoundland on 9/11, and her ‘character’ is featured prominently in the musical ‘Come from Away.’ Watch below as Beverly talks about how well the true story of ‘Come from Away’ was depicted–she shares that she was in tears and missed 75% of it the first time she because she was in tears the whole time. In Hebrews 13:2 we are told that hospitality should be shown to strangers, for you may be entertaining angels. All of a sudden, I was told to go to the cockpit to see the captain.

9/11 survivor tells his story A man who worked on the 84th floor of the World Trade Center's south tower describes the moment the plane… 2001: Air traffic halted after four planes hijacked in U.S. And then a strange thing happened.

But so were God's angels!

• One of the reasons so many planes were sent to Newfoundland and Labrador was to keep them away from large, urban centres such as Toronto and Montreal. He will never leave his faithful all alone. You are the one who restores me” (Psalm 3:3), 4) “The LORD loves justice. to his fellow passengers.

Families were kept together.

", RELATED: Flight Attendant's Kindness Towards A Disabled Man Is Inspiring. ALL the high school students HAD to volunteer taking care of the "guests. ‘Come from away’ is the term that residents of Newfoundland use to describe visitors and those who moved to the island. CBC Archives has a new look: Please go to cbc.ca/archives to access the new site. Their story is the …

But amidst the stories of loss and tragedy, there are also many stories of the loving unity that arose from the ashes of the terrifying attack. He reminded them of the hospitality they had received at the hands of total strangers.