but Mouse has no worry to show. Pirsig’s ‘Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance’ is my favourite novel, and I agree it can be a tough read.

But the book has saved me in times of depression, and was a key reading while I was figuring out how to quit my job. Second, the first 88 pages are the best writing on Science in recent memory (small pages, fast read). Click to Buy: Oh, the Places You’ll Go!

In the same pile belongs An Intimate History of Humanity by Zeldin, which made me rethink what a book was, and demonstrated chapter titles don’t have to be so boring all the time. “My favorite book growing up. ” — Simon Moore, “Berkun tells it like it is… you’ll gain insights to take your skills to the next level.” — Tony Hsieh, CEO Zappos.com, “Berkun sets us free to try and change the world.” — Guy Kawasaki, “Highly recommended for CEOs, project managers, and hackers alike.” — Matt Mullenweg, Founder WordPress.org.

In a series of posts, called ask berkun, I write on whatever topics people submit and vote for. Essay, Pages 2 (461 words) Views 1288. But, like you I’ve returned to it again, and again.

This beautifully illustrated tome reminds little ones that they can always rely on their mama.

He crossed subjects, forms, languages, decades… he was, in essence, a kind of free-reader. If you sign up to receive his best posts via email, you’ll get a FREE copy of a preview edition of Mindfire plus free chapters from all of his bestselling books.

Check out our Digital Detox Challenge and inspiration for offline activities like this post.

Now that my oldest is reading, I see what a great learning tool they are — fun, sweet stories that help encourage early readers.” — Rebecca Gruber, Click to Buy: The Frog and Toad Treasury ($2), “My copy is prominently displayed on my bookshelf, and I don’t have kids!” — Meg Cuna, style director, “Die-cut books are always fun, but the fact that kids can tear away the scary features of a monster piece by piece makes this an especially good choice for toddlers.” — Rebecca Gruber, Click to Buy: Go Away, Big Green Monster!

You can tell it was written a while back. “My favorite author of books for infants and toddlers, Sandra Boynton plays with the traditional animal sounds books by throwing in a few curveballs that will have tots cracking up — it’s also a book whose iPad app is a sheer delight!” — Rebecca Gruber, “This is one of my favorite books to read to my little boy, as it celebrates just how special and truly one-of-a-kind each child is. A Scientist in the City, by James Trefill. “Ferdinand is my all-time favorite children’s book. These books provide a crash course in the various short non-fiction forms there are, and gave me exposure to different writers, writing on very different topics, in very different styles.

As our editorial board’s most beloved book, Goodnight Moon is proof that some classics never go out of style. Click to Buy: Big Book of the Berenstain Bears ($11), “Yes, it is a story about the environment, but in typical Dr. Seuss form, it is written so well that the kids don’t even realize it!” — Rebecca Gruber, 50. A classic and, for many kids, a great book for learning how to read, this tells the story of a baby bird who falls from his nest and sets out in search of his mother. Tots will love the percussive rhythm of this sweet tale of animal teamwork. Other favorite novels include Slaughterhouse 5, The Life of Pi, Catcher in the Rye, Fahrenheit 451, and The Hobbit. Maybe this helps – keep up the good work! After all, there’s no such thing as a gruffalo!”, “A beautifully illustrated book about a home full of sleepy family members and pets who all end up napping in the same cozy bed — I still think about it when the afternoon starts to get dark and rainy and naptime approaches.” — Maggie Pehanick.

Quite unfortunately, I blame mind-numbing math and languages homework. Will she ever get over her love for bread and jam and expand her horizons to a more varied menu? Written by Pt. Between shots of whiskey, I asked for the book he thought I needed to read and that’s what he wrote down. A design student I was on a project team with at CMU got me hooked on Postman, and I’m in his debt. So, there you go… put things into perspective! Did your family’s most beloved books make our list? The Night Country, by Loren Eiseley. Both books opened up my perception to a new view of nature, one in which we have invented a system of thinking that has very little to do with the way the ecosystem of the planet functions. I swear my kids learned their letters through repetitive reading of this one book!” — Rebecca Gruber, Click to Buy: Chicka Chicka Boom Boom ($8). Made me want to get up and make stuff!" Quite delighted to see 2 of my favourites on your list.”Zen and the art of motorcycle..” is the only non-fiction I read more than once.But I didn’t like “Lila”.

I read this book during bedtime and all the stories are interesting to read. It explained a scientific view of evil, or rather how there really isn’t one, and how subjective and immature my view of good and evil was. I realized it’s not only okay to read widely, but a kind of necessity as a writer to be well read, as demonstrated by his example. I’m starting my Scott Berkun book reading recommendation list today. Pictures of the book make it even more interesting to read. “No words, just feelings!” — Maggie Pehanick.

“My all-time personal favorite.

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales. The book that teaches good design to everyone.

Great list, several of the titles are new to me.

You can hire him to speak, ask him a question or follow him on Twitter and Facebook. POPSUGAR has joined Thrive Global in celebration of Screen-Free Week, May 1–7, 2017.

I love reading storybooks and wish to explore a few other books too. I just read “Ignorance – How It Drives Science” by Stuart Firestein. My Favourite Book is Noddy Storybook Treasury.

Over 19,000 people have signed up.

If you could choose one what would it be?

– translations don’t pay off Log in. In fact, I still own it. Transformational. The very funny and charmingly illustrated adaptation of an old tale, Strega Nona is likely to have been a favorite of this generations’s parents when they were small. He’s different, and it’s fantastic!” — Maggie Pehanick.

Foucault’s Pendulum was the most complicated novel I’d read ever in a single sitting in the mid 90s, and I’ve read it more than once trying to figure out why. “Nobody’s better at explaining how the world really works than Scott Berkun.” – Jeffrey Zeldman, co-founder of A List Apart, "You'll find a lot to steal from this short, inspiring guide to being creative. Henry Miller wrote a book called The Books in My life. His Pigeon series is hysterical — my toddler literally rolls on the floor with laughter when we read one of these (they’re definitely not bedtime reading stories in our home; everyone gets too riled up!) These days I read about 90% non-fiction to 10% fiction – most fiction tries way to hard to seem real, and I find it unreadable. I want to imagine there is a wordpress plugin that would have made it easier, but I haven’t found it yet. White first wrote it in 1952. For many years I read lots of science books, and this was a pivotal one. He was determined not to rest ($18). The phrasing, not the vocabulary. Books are a great source of information and knowledge to readers. Good and evil, like most of our ideas, are inventions, and have varying levels of accuracy in how they map to the world. Available now where books are sold. How do you start off an essay about your favourite book? The Conquest of Happiness, Bertrand Russell.

I was a fan of his non-fiction writing in the late 1990s (Air Conditioned Nightmare, Black Spring) and when I found this book it blew my mind.

Conquest of Happiness is a very silly title, it’s like “how to force the boy/girl of your dreams to love you” or something – the title, but not the book, suggests a self-defeating strategy. This collection includes some of the favorite stories from the most beloved family of bears in children’s literature. ($16). Join over 19,000 fellow subscribers. The quantity of books he recalled fluently, and their wide range of genres. If you enjoyed Miller then you may want to check out Alberto Manguel’s ‘The Library at Night’, another writer with a voracious appetite for novels who’s also an amazing prose writer who argues of the importance of the library in our desire to understand the universe.

Postman’s Amusing ourselves to death should come with every television set, by law. Views 1288. We’re both loving the fantasy tale.” — Rebecca Gruber, Click to Buy: James and the Giant Peach ($7). Thank you for spending so much time on explaining your list. Stewart Brand’s How Buildings Learn deserve mention, as he offered a a new way to look at architecture that was fascinating, personal, real and practical, and mostly pretension free, something I can’t say about many books on architecture and design or most creative pursuits. Animal Right Essay | Essay on Animal Right for Students and Children in English, Water Conservation Slogans | Unique and Catchy Water Conservation Slogans in English, Slogans on Pollution | Unique and Catchy Slogans on Pollution in English, Maths Formulas for Class 11 PDF Download Free | 11th Std Maths Formulae List, Maths Formulas for Class 6 | List of 6th Class Math Formulae, Maths Formulas for Class 9 PDF Free Download | Important 9th Grade Maths Formulae, Maths Formulas for Class 8 PDF Download Free | 8th Grade Math Formula List, Maths Formulas for Class 7 PDF Download Free | 7th Class Math Formulae, Basic Chemistry Formulas Sheet | Important Chemistry Formula Chart & Tables, Physics Formulas – Definition, Equations, Examples, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd-0HFd58P8. His books made me realize my lust for using and making technology could not achieve many of the things I wanted out of life. I found this strange, scary looking book cover in the science section of a used bookstore in the mid 90s.