Your kid's favorite semi-naked superhero in a (hopefully!) The Craft Nest's cheap and adorable version is just the thing for your very hungry trick or treater. She stands up for herself, her friends, and for what is right many times over —showing her strength and confidence each and every time. Easy and made of fleece, so your trick or treater will stay warm well into the night. - Horn Book Magazine "Genuine characters propel this funny, warm, biting, fearless story. MORE: Don't Quit! Rosie Revere Has a Very Important Message for Kids, #12) Harriet from Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh Princess Diaries. She is herself and never apologizes for that.

Pippi is the self-proclaimed strongest girl in the world…and she lives with a monkey named Mr. Nilsson! She doesn’t fit in and isn’t the most confident but what 12-year-old is? Want awesome DIY tips in your inbox three times a week? #10) Beatrice Prior from The Divergent Series by Veronica Roth School has started, which means it's probably time to talk Halloween costumes. Liesel starts out as weak and unable to use words or books herself, but as the story unfolds she becomes a master at words and understands not only their power for good — but their power for evil as well. What can't this girl do? March 2 is Dr. Seuss' birthday. Cleopatra shows the universe who's boss when her 15-year-old self travels into the future to save all of humanity. Search, watch, and cook every single Tasty recipe and video ever - all in one place! Robert Munsch's awesome feminist princess is such a great go-to costume if you have brown kraft paper lying around. Sign up for the BuzzFeed DIY newsletter. Princess Truly teaches your child about self-acceptance and self-love, showing that she can do whatever it is she sets her mind to. The Jim Henson Company knows its frogs, that's for sure. This list is subjective for sure, and only comprised of characters I have read and would read with my children. Talk about princess power!  - Cooperative Children's Book Center "New Kid is at once tender and tough, funny and heartbreaking. Sure, she fights and shows strength in so many other ways, but that one act is central to her character, and why she is one of the best female characters you will find on this list.Â, MORE: "The Hunger Games" on Its 10th Anniversary: Why Katniss Still Matters. She had issues with Bedtime, an obsession with Bread and Jam was duped into a Bargain rivaled with a Baby Sister and dealt with Best Friends. (I know hitting is wrong, but I know you cheered while reading that too!).

That's real dedication to your kids, people. Early Mama's handmade Lorax costume even includes a Truffula Tree. You successfully shared the article. He practices baseball with his baseball coach off the field. A few teen-ish books also made it onto the list because they’re books I know many tweens are already reading. #5) Cleopatra from the Cleopatra in Space series by Mike Maihack Tomie dePaola's famous version of the "Grandma Witch" with the magic pasta pot could not be easier to transform into a costume. This version from Rafael Concepcion was put together from clothes you probably already have in your closet.

Hilarious and Charming, these stories about two friends: optimistic Piggie and cautious pessimistic Elephant! MORE: Why 'Olivia' Is the Perfect Book for a High-Energy Child #17) Dorothy from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum Oz can be a scary place, but Dorothy knows she can be brave with the help of her new friends. When I saw the scene on film, I cried.

I made my own version when I was a teacher, but this one from Pan's Cosplay is a little sturdier and much, much cuter. She is more than brave — she seems propelled to do the right thing no matter what stands in her way.

Brimming with confidence, this diverse character has no problem loving herself.

#7) Princess Truly from Princess Truly in I Am Truly by Kelly Greenawalt Full bonus points for getting grandparents in on it, too. There is something incredibly calm and self-assured about Matilda. ), stick some striped leggings on under it and follow Make's tutorial for Pippi braids. Self care and ideas to help you live a healthier, happier life. #8) Ramona Quimby from The Ramona Series by Beverly Cleary

To honor him, I'd like to share some of my affection for his books and his great talent as an author and i... A fun image sharing community.

Give your little one something to get excited about with these super clever DIY options. Explore amazing art and photography and share your own visual inspiration!