Regardless of how special, unique, or honest-to-god awesome your protagonist is, a reader forced to trudge through page after page of intensive description will find any character boring. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. As a lifelong surfer myself all of his descriptions, feelings, fears and joys rang true. As for myself, I’m a bit skeptical as to how well this work of art will make the jump from book to film. Company Credits Finnegan surfs his way through it, without a single 'dude'. He just opened it up. Losing everything he holds dear, he leaves both his name and hometown behind, … | Great read about true surfers and their intense devotion to their need for the never ending quest for the perfect wave. Please try your request again later. At times I felt the author was too verbose.... but the story was still epic. William Finnegan was next level when it came to this, and wrote about it so well. You can make use of JS link for the displaying the "days open" value in the column. A surfing book? Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to movies, TV shows, music, Kindle e-books, Twitch Prime, and more. Barbarian Days describes Finnegan’s lifelong relationship with surfing that takes him from Ventura, Calif. to Hawaii to famous surf spots the world over before they were even discovered. I shared his passion for surfing but then let career, family and the quest for financial security pull me away from that surfing life. lead stereo compositor: yU+Co, Hollywood, CA, digital compositor (as Jill French Anderson), visual effects artist (as Kristina Georgieva), stereoscopic compositing supervisor: Legend 3D, stereoscopic compositor lead: Rocket Science 3D, visual effects producer: Crazy Horse Effects, visual effects supervisor: Crazy Horse Effects, digital matte painting supervisor (as Metin Gungor), visual effects producer: stereos conversion, production coordinator: Stereo International, digital compositor: Reliance MediaWorks VFX, matchmove technical director: Rocket Science 3D, quality control / visual effects coordinator, visual effects producer: Digital Domain/Reliance Mediaworks, visual effects supervisor: Dr.PICTURE Studios, visual effects coordinator: Crazy Horse Effects (as Judy Webster), visual effects artist (as Anand Ramachandran), digital compositor / visual effects editor, render wrangler/render support: 3D Stereoscopic Conversion, matchmove artist (stereoscopic conversion), digital compositor / visual effects artist, lead matte painter / look development supervisor, visual effects supervisor: Reliance MediaWorks India, stereo compositing coordinator: Legend 3D. And the descriptions of surfing are amazing. Filming & Production I’ll leave you with one of my favorites as well: “…surfing harbors this paradox: a desire to be alone with waves fused to an equal desire to be watched, to perform. A fantastic read for surfers and non-surfers alike! Reviewed in Australia on 16 December 2017. The social side can be competitive or a pure yearning for companionship or, most often, both.”. Or with the surfing and everything about it as central to his account of that life. You have to replace the required logic of calculating the value before displaying on list view. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 25 February 2018. stereoscopic conversion artist: Identity FX, Inc. camera matchmove artist (stereoscopic conversion), visual effects producer / visual effects supervisor. with the purchase of any eligible product. Something went wrong. Probably because it’s not really about surfing, it’s about time, and mortality, and how a deep, guiding passion can hold us back and propel us forward in unpredictable ways. Highly recommended. I didn’t expect to find a surfing memoir via a podcast about American politics, but amongst all the gloom of the Slate Political Gabfest’s coverage of the last Presidential election cycle there was a recommendation to read Barbarian Days by Bill Finnegan. His story was way more dedicated and adventurous making a cracking and intelligent read with humble discernment and insight. This book definitely changed my life. Order now from our extensive selection of books coming soon with Pre-order Price Guarantee. It’s one of those rare books that once you read it you can’t stop thinking about it. A must read for surfers and an opportunity for non surfers to understand the drives and experiences of this watery tribe. A great read. According to Deadline, Gaghan will write and direct the movie, and Finnegan will be an executive producer. A book that both surfers and people who don't can get into. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 23 March 2016. Surfing only looks like a sport. Finnegan captures the way that surfing changes ones life decisions without getting dragged into mystic gobbledygook. Really? Unable to add item to Wish List. If you ever thought there was a limit to available terms to describe the mechanics of oceanic waves and how to ride them, Finnegan proves the opposite. Thank you, Mr Finnegan! He breaks the newbie reader in gently, and as a non-surfer unfamiliar with much of the argot, i never lost track of what was going on during his vivid accounts of his adventures as he chases waves across the globe. “Bill is both, and he has written about surfing in a way that is interesting to non-surfers. Pulitzer prize winner and a book about surfing at the top of Obama’s reading list, now a movie? (as Samuel Hargrave), Valeria What a great read. You'll never get tired of watching Finnegan do it. The language is appropriate, articulate and the prose is balanced ( apart from one really bizarre typo where it seems a completely different sentence has been superimposed on another). It's a phenomena all life long surfers will understand. lead digital compositor: Bit Theory, Inc. lead digital compositor/supervisor: Bit Theory, Inc. on-set visual effects production coordinator, technical manager / visual effects supervisor, visual effects technical director: Rocket Science 3D, visual effects production assistant: Rocket Science 3D, stereoscopic producer: Rocket Science 3D (as Stephen Castor), digital intermediate data technician: Company 3, visual effects network administrator supervisor. Raised in California and Hawaii, Finnegan started surfing as a child.