Coupled with the expansion from over a year before the purchase of the expander, I would conservatively estimate that I have achieved 6 to 7mm of palate expansion in the past 2 years. Rapid palatal expansion (RPE) or Rapid Maxillary Expansion (RME) is an expansion technique where expansion of 0.5mm to 1mm is achieved each day until the posterior crossbite is relieved.

The modern medical community is split on natural palate expansion, yet more and more practitioners have reported non surgical results with patients who are late into life. }, author={C. Handelman}, journal={American journal of orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics : official publication of the American Association of Orthodontists, its constituent … Although frequently associated with children, orthodontic treatments commonly benefit adults. Traditional palate expanders attempt to expand the maxilla by exerting forces on teeth. They attempt to expand using brute force. Most dentists rightly believe that palate expansion in adults is dangerous and difficult using traditional orthodontic palate expanders. The expansion can be no faster than the palatal bones and soft tissues can adapt to the powerful forces generated by the Haas expander, because the palatal suture does not separate in these mature patients. In this sense, they are "mechanical." The turn of this key will push the arms of the expander. Palatal expansion in adults: the nonsurgical approach. Activation of the expansion screw at the rate appropriate for children will cause unacceptable palate swelling and pain in adults. To schedule an appointment or find out more about how palate expanders can help you, contact Hansen Orthodontics today. @article{Handelman2011PalatalEI, title={Palatal expansion in adults: the nonsurgical approach. To begin this article with no ambiguity: Adult palate expansion without surgery is not only possible, but normal and expected. DOI: 10.1016/j.ajodo.2011.07.002 Corpus ID: 41901622. Removable Expander result As shown in the pictures here, I have measured 4mm of transverse palate expansion as an adult. The expander works by turning a key inside the center of the expander. While treatments may take longer, adult palate expansion helps to correct alignment issues and improves overall oral health.