I’d also like to thank the Seattle pipes and drums for joining us a year ago for the party after the funeral. It wasn't until the great potato famine and massive Irish immigration to the East Coast of the United States They did play amazing grace again and we all toasted the Chief, but they also played some kick butt tunes and helped us all with their music. Virtual therapy sessions are helpful during COVID-19, but are we ready to address the larger mental health issues just around…, ©2019 - Jenna Hatfield. Departments and precincts often have unique traditions. The following suggested order of events would be appropriate for a formal, full-honors funeral. On one of the nights, they have a big play-off. It is especially important for one person to act as the family’s single point of contact with the department, and it is preferable that this person knows the family. The most famous song played at fire and police funerals is Amazing Grace. Options can include a school auditorium, a civic auditorium, or a large church. Just wanted to share! Usually the bands wear traditional Scottish dress or the simpler Irish uniform. The first pertains to being born, the second is played to celebrate you and your family, the third is about your life with family, friends and your fire department family and the last is for your death, leaving the world alone. Third is for your whole life with your family, friends, and your FD family. On average, the bands have more than 60 uniformed playing members. Why Are Bagpipes Played at Police and Firefighter Funerals? As Tim Birr pointed out, there’s not a real tell-all about the history of the bagpipes other than minor blurbs here and there on the web. Thanks to the Board of Elections in Guern, It’s easier to find joy if you look everywhere f, Today brought an end to Nick’s freshman year of, Sending the warm weather off with a bang.

The funeral of fallen Gwinnett County Police Officer Antwan Toney began with a moving rendition of 'Amazing Grace.'. Lyrics: Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, That saved a wretch like me. As such, their funerals were typical of other Irish funerals at the time and the bagpipes were played. firefighters' funerals were typical of all Irish funerals - the pipes were played. This led to many Irish and Scottish immigrants becoming firefighters and bringing their cultural traditions, including funeral bagpipes, to the job. Our owner, Barbara Marik-Baken, is a fourth-generation funeral director. The only jobs they

– A time-honored tradition of bagpipes set the tone for Gwinnett County Police Officer Antwan Toney’s funeral. With the officer’s directives taken into consideration, the family must be consulted. The first pertains to being born, the second is played to celebrate you and your family, the third is about your life with family, friends and your fire department family and the last is for your death, leaving the world alone. The history of the bagpipes and their use in fire (and police) service funerals is interesting. One of these was the Great Highland Bagpipe, often played at Celtic weddings, Other responsibilities that can be taken on by the department include assigning a 24/7 watch of the survivor’s home until after the funeral, shifts on casket watch who will stay with the body around the clock until the funeral, a color guard for the funeral, ushers for the service, and pallbearers to carry the casket or cremated remains. 90% of the time you hear bagpipes, they're playing amazing grace at a funeral. Interestingly, a man named Tim Birr is working on a documentary about bagpipes and the fire service entitled, none other than, Amazing Grace. And like a flood His mercy rains If you are a small agency, have a plan with neighboring departments you can turn to if that time comes.” Source. “…what if one of your team members is on leave, sick, or too emotionally upset about the fallen officer to participate? Types of police funerals. TO SALUTE, Those assigned to the honor guard include the casket watch, pallbearers, and color guard. A few months later another firefighter fell of the side of the Engine Company and passed away. Support should be made available to the survivors 24 hours a day, for as long as needed (up to a year after the funeral service). Full military-style honors should be available to those heroes who die in the line of duty, starting with a casket watch. Other songs can and have been played but Amazing Grace remains the most popular pick for the funerals of our fallen protectors. After this ceremony, the funeral service itself begins. Lyrics:Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,That saved a wretch like me.I once was lost but now am found,Was blind, but now I see.T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.And Grace, my fears relieved.How precious did that Grace appearThe hour I first believed.Through many dangers, toils and snaresI have already come;'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus farand Grace will lead me home.The Lord has promised good to me.His word my hope secures.He will my shield and portion be,As long as life endures.Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,And mortal life shall cease,I shall possess within the veil,A life of joy and peace.When we've been here ten thousand yearsBright shining as the sun.We've no less days to sing God's praiseThan when we've first begun.Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,That saved a wretch like me.I once was lost but now am found,Was blind, but now I see There is meaning behind When the family has been informed according to department policy, the period of mourning begins. Daniel J. Bower Commitment To Excellence Award was awarded to Mike Newton Local MORE: Officer Toney 'shined a light on all of us' | Eulogy honors fallen officer. Back then, it was common to have several deaths on each fire. Bagpipes play (Amazing Grace, for example) Final Radio Call ceremony (also may be performed at cemetery) Color Guard retires the colors; Bagpipes play as the Pallbearers remove the casket; Dismissal instructions; The honor guard’s duties continue during the procession to the cemetery and the interment, with each department following its own procedures. This stanza is played by all pipers & drummers. It is vital that all options for honoring the fallen officer be presented to the survivors. And grace my fears relieved

a hardened firefighter to cry at the sound of bagpipes when his dignity would not let him weep for a fallen comrade.

I sat on the back, Goodbye, October. All of these functions require up to 18 people, with experience or training needed for those responsible for standing guard, carrying the flags, folding the flag that draped the casket, and performing other duties.