“I keep quiet during lectures.”.

Conjugation of Keep. At face value, that dialogue looks technically fine; there may be a little confusion as the “yes” is in agreement to the statement about her nerves, not an answer to the question “is she okay” (as the suggestion is no, she’s not), but it does make sense. Present perfect continuous. Now, “to keep” in the present simple can mean “to continue” or “to remain” – essentially to be consistent.

by Phil Williams | Jul 6, 2017 | Grammar, Vocabulary | 6 comments.

Then can I say “I am keeing my determination”?? What is the best way to fold a fitted sheet?

Present He/She/It keeps .

You will have been keeping. tense: Keeping. Past tense: Kept. This page provides example sentences of the English verb "Keep" in all tenses including active and passive forms, as well as conditional and modal forms. Consider “I write books” (in general) vs “I am writing a book” (this particular one, at this time). There are many verbs that can be followed by –ing forms of other verbs in this way – though I’m afraid there’s no easy way to know which other than by learning them. (I have a zero spam policy and you will only receive ESL learning-related material.). I’ll revisit this in our next article with some more examples, so stay tuned. "I keep good company.". And I do have one question actually. e.g "Yes, I'm keeping it." e.g "Yes, I'm keeping it." Infinitive: keep Continuous: keeping Past Simple: kept Past Participle: kept Do you know the meaning of keep?See the definition of keep in our dictionary.. Verb 'to keep' conjugated in all tenses, including negative and interrogative forms: Present Simple

Present tense 1 MultipleChoice_MTYyMzQ= Present tense 2 GapFillTyping_MTYyMzU= Level: advanced. She keeps all her birthday cards every year. “I am keeping doing” would create an emphasis on a temporary continuation, but the repeated –ing forms sound clumsy – however it would be possible if replaced with another verb with the same meaning – “I am continuing”. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam.

Verbs conjugated like keep.

The present simple form can be seen clearest when accompanied with an adjective – “I keep quiet” may be used as a timeless/general rule. Is it right sentence??

e.g. Where is Martha Elliott Bill Elliott ex-wife today? Did the Jonas Brothers Co-Write Get Back by Demi Lovato? ELB has produced a series of bestselling English guides, available from all major retailers, with over 25,000 copies sold worldwide.

Learn how your comment data is processed.

The best place to start is revising the ground rules of the present simple and continuous tenses. e.g "I kept it for a very long time." What instrument plays the main melody fom Nickelback? I’ve been asked about the tense of “keep writing” – and how it relates to the rules and patterns we use for the present continuous form of “to be writing”.

We can use present forms to talk about the past: when we are telling a story: Well, it's a lovely day and I'm just walking down the street when I see this funny guy walking towards me. How long will the footprints on the moon last? Past tense: Kept. Present tense: Keep.

‘Is Jessica ok? Plural.

You/We/They keep.

What is the dispersion medium of mayonnaise?

Why don't libraries smell like bookstores? You will have been keeping.

The present simple form can be seen clearest when accompanied with an adjective – “I keep quiet” may be used as a timeless/general rule.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. How do you put grass into a personification? 'to keep' conjugation - English verbs conjugated in all tenses with the bab.la verb conjugator.

Present Continuous Tense. I hope this helps.

What is the present tense of the verb 'keep'. I am keeping. Present tense: Keeping. The thing I would suggest is inaccurate, though, is the use of “nervous”, which many learners mistake for meaning something like “angry” (as it is similar in some languages); “she keeps arguing” would suggest that kind of angry/combative aspect which isn’t really in agreement with “nervous” which would be more shy/afraid. Here are some example sentences and the key points of difference in grammatical meaning: To complete the idea (though it gets a little confusing! Base Form keep / Past Simple kept / Past Participle kept / Gerund keeping. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Advanced Writing Skills for Students of English, The English Tenses Practical Grammar Guide. I have always had trouble explaining why it’s “I like reading” and not “i like read”, for example- Now that I took the time to actually Google it, I found your explanation really useful, thanks for sharing!

The more appropriate form would be the phrasal verb ‘keep up’ (to maintain): “I am keeping up my determination.”, Hello there Mr.Phil. He/She/It is keeping. I continue to do something. They will have been keeping. There is no suggested start or finish – consider “I keep writing blogs” – this is an ongoing, general statement.

Click a cover to learn more! In its simplest form “I do” is a timeless statement, a rule or generalisation, “I am doing” is a temporary action. ), how does “keep doing” relate to the present continuous? ‘Yes, she keeps arguing with all her classmates.’. And in the meantime if you have any questions do let me know! I’m so grateful to your magnificent explanation, as it clarifies it now. Simple / Indefinite Present Tense.

Join our Patreon team to keep ELB producing new and better content, and you’ll receive exclusive benefits.

e.g "I kept it for a very long time." "to keep" conjugation. I keep. He/she/it will have been keeping.

You/We/They are keeping. I will have been keeping.

A verb like “keep” may be particularly confusing, as it suggests a continuing action. Present Simple Passive . I am giving some English lessons to adults and this doubt often comes up.

Now, “to keep” in the present simple can mean “to continue” or “to remain” – essentially to be consistent.

She seems so nervous.’

As “keep doing” in itself suggests an ongoing action, while “am doing” suggests something now which can be ended, it is not generally correct to form a continuous tense with “keep doing”.

Let’s draw this together with a look at how a present continuous sentence would be different.