The PS5's DualSense is a surprising reinvention of the PlayStation... Rambo's visceral Mortal Kombat 11 Fatality revealed in trailer, Here's how Amazon plans to make cloud gaming a reality, Xbox Series X hands-on shows off impressive Quick Resume, Sony reveals first Final Fantasy XVI trailer, Here's why the Xbox is all-in with cloud gaming, Full breakdown of Nvidia's new RTX 3000 series (3070, 3080, 3090). Seems unreal, right? Times have changed since then, with the Xbox and PlayStation controllers playing nice with all sorts of devices, from PCs to tablets to phones. Sony’s DualSense, meanwhile, will likely need unique drivers to work properly. © 2020 CNET, A RED VENTURES COMPANY. Let's check out the controller side by side. If you’re still flummoxed by the seemingly-endless options, fear not: we’ve assembled a guide to choosing and gifting a console in late 2020. Plays most PS4 games via backwards compatibility, Still more expensive than the Xbox Series S, Can’t be used as a DVD, Blu-ray or 4K Blu-ray player. You won’t have to worry about messing with drivers or other settings with an Xbox controller on PC. This novel idea has been so popular that the new DualSense controller has upgraded it to a "Create" button that allows all the same functions, plus a few hinted-at new ones. This was such a desirable idea that the new Xbox controller has added such a button as well, though its iteration has stuck with the "Share Button" moniker. I think they're both great holding on to both of them. Play Station 5 standing tall like some weird reverse ice cream sandwich. The DualSense has broaden it and it kind of forces your hands to open up a little bit where are the Series X does not. Sony is offering a steep discount because it knows the eventual owner will have to buy all of their games through the PlayStation Store. I was so floored I made a GIF. Xbox should be the hero in this story. The DualShock 4 was rated for around six hours per charge, which would put the DualSense in the nine-hour range. There's a larger sort of disparity between them, which I think is interesting. The Xbox Series S and X are a chance for Microsoft to start a new chapter. Your loved one will appreciate the system’s higher native resolution (1440p), as well as the superior processor and faster SSD. We'll just move this aside a little bit. We had hoped to do this comparison sooner, but there wasn’t much crossover between PS5 and Xbox Series X preview access games. Unlike Sony, they didn’t withhold information to keep us all hungry and begging or more. Apparently, these new controllers can both act on their own and adjust the sensitivity of the triggers depending on the situation in-game.

The new Xbox controller’s aesthetics aren’t bad by any means. The grip on that DualSense definitely longer, but there's something to it, there's something a little different. First, some reconnaissance. It can also upscale games to 4K, which could be enough for people with smaller monitors and TV sets. It should just work. Due to all the new technology in the modern gaming industry compared to seven years ago, there is simply a lot more that goes into the hardware these days. Thankfully, controllers have also evolved with the times and the ones for the PS5 and Xbox Series X are nothing short of groundbreaking technology. That’s likely to be an ongoing trend. You can find additional information about Polygon’s ethics policy here. No Styrofoam or stuff like that. First time I'm really ever getting my hands on a DualSense and I gotta say, they really do feel tangibly different in a way that didn't really happen in the last generation. I do think it has a wider kind of grip to it compared to the Xbox controller, but it definitely feels different. Look at that, very nice.

For sheer audacity and ambition, it feels like the PS5’s DualSense has the edge here, but if you’re looking for a multi-platform workhorse, go with the Xbox controller. So yeah, I really have been digging my time with this. Oh wait, you blinked. Gaming is becoming more and more expensive, so an increasing amount of people look for ways to continue using older pieces of technology. [MUSIC] And with older controllers not being able to make the best connection with the next generation consoles, anyone who wants to play locally with another person may end up having a lighter wallet than they want.

It has the same CPU, GPU and 825GB SSD, which means it can also run games at true 4K resolution.

The PS5’s DualSense comes with a battery pack built in (another reason for the higher price). But watch this for the Series X to put this on its side. They were upfront about the Series X, and yet the PS5 is absolutely blowing them away. The PS4 and Xbox One both had some nice options, so many are hopeful that the next generation controllers will provide an equal, or greater, selection. The grip on thumbsticks is a good idea and this feature is present on both the PS5 and Xbox controllers, though on other parts of the debate rages on. So I'm gonna stop talking to you, I'm gonna go play PS5. Again, not bad, just different. We haven’t used it, but if it’s anything like the last one, it should give you 20-30 hours per charge (with diminishing charges over the course of several years). Or maybe it’s just “holy hell, these systems load games fast.” For another test, we also measured the time to get from the launch icon on the consoles’ respective dashboards to the start menu, hitting start to bypass the opening cinematic. We’ll do it again.

This will vary somewhat, but overall it’s pretty good bang for your buck. With all these new features and advanced technology, a controller costs about as much as a new game. [MUSIC] But, in terms of immediate ease of use, the new Xbox controller is the way to go on PC, just because of its ubiquitous support there.

[MUSIC]

Aside from this, both the PS5 and Xbox Series X controllers get approval from most gamers. That wasn't, was that it? Sony's marketplace runs regular sales, too, that are competitive with bricks-and-mortar retailers. But if you can’t — maybe they love a variety of systems, or haven’t owned a console in years — you’ll need to consider both manufacturers and come to a decision on your own. These do not influence editorial content, though Vox Media may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. Figuring out what to buy them, though, can be tricky. The company has sold over 110 million PlayStation 4s, which is almost double the Nintendo Switch — a console that’s less than four years old, admittedly — and higher than Xbox One estimates. Now we turn to the world of sports, in the form of NBA 2K21. Dropping two AA batteries into it should grant you between 30 to 40 hours of gameplay time.

Thank you. Or that’s the theory, anyway. That said, other members of the Polygon team have reported some hand cramping with the PS5 DualSense, so it’s heavily dependent on hand size and comfort preferences. So that's pretty cool. Controllers side by side.

The PS5’s New Controller Is Clobbering the Xbox Series X on Twitter.

Sony was all focused on Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Astro’s Playroom. Know someone that would love a new console this holiday season? I gotta say, I've been playing with this one for about a month and there is a certain amount of grip that this controller really gives you that I really, really like it. Meanwhile, the PS5 controller packs in modern features that will make playing certain games a lot more engaging (so long as things like haptics and adaptive triggers are supported by the game). I just have to show you what they look like side by side. These issues may smooth out over time, but it’s hard to say when or if the DualSense will just “work” on PC and other platforms. Fortnite will be playable for free on PS5 and Xbox Series X when those systems release this week. So what's the big deal? The takeaway here is that if you want to play Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition and you’re not doing it on a PS5, you are wasting precious seconds of your life. The One S simply isn’t powerful enough, at least not by 2020 standards. Though the PlayStation 5 DualSense and Xbox Series X controller have several similarities, both next-gen controllers are fairly different when it comes to overall design. All right, so here is the DualShock 4 from PS4, the DualSense from Play Station 5. Check availability at Walmart, Amazon, Best Buy and more. Look at this, the next generation of consoles right here, right in front of me, and I can't play them.

As you can see from the above, there are benefits to both controllers.

It seems the Xbox Series X took a little longer checking my network environment than the PS5 (it visibly lingered on the checking network screen), and there’s an extra prompt (press A on your controller) to go through. If you can, go for the Series S instead. Xbox's new controller can apparently be used on the Xbox One, Windows 10, and some Android devices. Covering the hottest movie and TV topics that fans want. Okay, here he is. Yeah, so do we. These are the buttons that see the most use in modern racing, shooting, and other action-oriented genres. So with the Play Station 5, you gotta take the stand and you gotto adjust to the side like that. A game like Astro’s Playroom, which constantly uses the fanciest DualSense features, is liable to drain your battery much faster, for example.