We may never, but the logical thing is related to Radu’s attachment to Mehmed.

He became a successful Janissary commander in the Ottoman Empire. During the course of 1474 Radu was Prince three times, and Basarab twice; by the end of that year Radu was Prince once more, and remained so until the following year when he died of syphillis, and was naturally succeeded by Basarab. I will definitely try to find time to watch it if I can get a version that has English subtitles. This ally and childhood friend of Sultan Mehmet II was instrumental in the conquest of Constantinople for Islam. (They gave a lot considering how little info there is on Radu though.). Radu cel Frumos, Voivode of Wallachia for a little bit, at least, though in those days it was a title that traded blood-splattered hands quite often. Not to be maudlin but every time I hear I’ve inspired someone in even the littlest of ways I get super excited! To install click the Add extension button. It was a time of relief and rejoicing.

However many the exact figure was, it was a huge amount of dead or dying human beings, writhing in their torture or being pecked apart by carrion crows or, Hell, since this is a dip into the true depths of human inhumanity, probably both in a lot of cases. During his reign the Ottoman Sipahi's gained a strong foothold in the south of the country. And so — Radu is rarely mentioned with due historical perspective without biased views, even by the generally considered serious historians (when mentioned at all!). Documenta Romaniae Historica. The history as presented is there to provide context for a fiction and pop culture analysis. Radu was depicted in the 2000 movie Dark Prince: The True Story Of Dracula. In November 1447, John Hunyadi launched an attack against Wallachia due to its alliance with the Ottomans by the treaties signed by Vlad II Dracul and his duplicity in Varna Campaign (1444). They were so close to their destination – the Wallachian capital of Târgovi?te -that he was in no mood for this puzzling sight. After taking the Wallachian capital of Târgovi?te, Mehmet returned home, leaving the hunt to Radu. [citation needed] According to the Serbian Janissary Konstantin Mihailović Radu was a commander of the Janissary; in the campaign against his brother Vlad III, Radu was at the head of 4000 horsemen. One impaled person is one too many, and Vlad III was nothing if not numerically ambitious. You must be logged in to post a comment Whatever there is to be said, it all ends the same: Vlad III died fighting and Radu was most likely executed by his son-in-law. Later, Vlad Dracul had to sign yet another treaty with the Ottomans in which he had to return the fortress to the Ottomans in an effort to continue his rule as well as keep his captive sons safe. So quiet and tame. The ultimate act of revenge by Dracula… and the perfect bait for a sequel.

Narratively speaking, the brothers are excellent foils to one another.

Radu enjoys life at court, where he is well-liked by most and adored by the Sultan, his lover, who isn’t eager to give him up despite his political usefulness in Wallachia. And that’s generally where the commentary stops. By Ion Grumeza, George Marcu (coord. According to the Serbian Janissary Konstantin Mihailović Radu was a commander of the Janissary, in campaign against his brother Vlad Tepes Radu was at the head of 4000 horsemen. Like any fanfiction writer, I just MUST change the source material to fit my own ends.) He’d been trying to woo him for some time and finally got him into his private rooms. Dracula hated Radu for his successes and the favor the Turks bestowed upon him.

Androginous is cooler, I think. Opportunistic betrayal was the way of Wallachia’s rulers and in one such brief betrayal, Vlad II silently allowed his older sons, Mircea and Vlad IV, to launch an insurrection after which Mircea impaled all his prisoners upon stakes. And the Christian West has always been so annoyed at Islam. His good nature attracted instant allies, including inhabitants of Bucharest and Târgoviște, who had enough of the cruelty of his brother. It was a contract. I’m glad you enjoy this, and good luck with your book! You asked some very intreguing questions that I think would add to the story if I can handle something so sensitive well.

A recipe for a relationship that tears apart dynasties. When he was just a child, his father, Vlad II Dracul went to swear loyalty to the Ottoman Empire. He was filled with jealousy for the then young Mehmet II who, like him, was a prince, but, very unlike him, lived in splendor. ✪ Istorie necunoscuta - Dezvaluiri despre comorile din România și domnitorii români... An artistic depiction of Radu from the 19th century.

Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.

He invaded Wallachia on several occasions during Radu's reign, dethroning him four times in response to Radu's vassalage.[8]. And homophobia prevents people from wanting to include Radu, who by nature brings the attention to the fact queer men exist. p. 127, 128), George Marcu (coord. his relationship with a grown up youth… Must have been quite a shock, now that you mentioned. Dracul, hatten aber… …   Deutsch Wikipedia, Radu III le Beau — Titre Prince de Moldavie 1462 – 1473 1473 – 1474 1474 – 1474 …   Wikipédia en Français, Radu el Hermoso — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Radu III cel Frumos en una representación del siglo XIX Radu III el Hermoso (Radu cel Frumos) (1437/1439 1475) fue el hermano menor de Vlad III Draculea (Drácula) y voivoda de Valaquia. After the victorious campaign north of the Danube, the Ottomans placed the young Radu (then 26 years of age) as the Bey of Wallachia. And a movie with Vlad/Dracula (and Radu) would be a movie aiming for comercial success, and alas the usual public won’t really enjoy the queer addings. The boys' father, Vlad II Dracul, with the support of the Ottomans, returned to Wallachia and took back his throne from Basarab II.[2]. The intent was to leave a horrifying memento for Sultan Mehmet whom they knew to be soon taking their capital city. I don’t have anything that might help, but please, anyone who has any ideas to help C, feel free to comment. I just really think Radu is a fascinating character to add to the Dracula mythos. It was not difficult to convince them; he only had to promise the boyars that he would restore their privileges and assure the defectors from Vlad III’s camp that they would not be punished.