Pin Me. We love Romania and we love food in Romania, from Bucharest to remote Maramures County. Of course, this is more like in the past, as nowadays everyone purchases ready-made food from the supermarket so you can see that traditional food is slowly subsiding, and only made around holidays. So we created a tour where you can taste different garlic-based dishes and understand the importance of this ingredient in Romanian cuisine. Not many communities, but I know some of my friends came from the countryside where family life and community was everything. I confess, I had never heard the term “semolina” before translating it from Romanian, but it’s a type of porridge made from a coarse wheat powder that doesn’t quite count as flour. However, thanks to globalization, I have access to everything to be able to recreate any Romanian dish. new Date().getTime(),event:'gtm.js'});var f=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0], Romania is a country of many dimensions, each region with its own culinary tradition. We blog about the best travel destinations in Croatia, Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Montenegro, Slovenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Nth. Mici-little sausage shaped meatballs made of pork, mutton and beef. We travel all over seeking out food, accommodation and the best things to do in the Balkans so … Vegetarians should not despair and let me give you the biggest tip you need for surviving the Romanian animal-heavy cuisine: instead of asking for vegetarian dishes and getting quizical looks, just say you are fasting and want mancare de post. I have seen it on rare occasions in restaurants - a pizza place I visited once advertised it on the menu and out of curiosity I ordered it. Blog. This dish can be served hot or cold, as a dish on its own or as a side for meat dishes. So what does this mean for you? Boyar and upscale dishes usually favor beef, duck or game meat, exquisitely cooked with herbs, rare ingredients and wine. Let cool. Winters are harsh and we do eat a lot of stews. It is a perfect reflection of our agrarian roots, rich and fertile geography, complicated history and influences from neighbouring cuisines such as Turkish, Germanic, Hungarian, Greek and Slavic. Posts about romanian written by A Pinch of Zing! Romanian food is more than sarmale and papanasi.

In economic terms, this is called 'subsistence farming' but a better word for it is self-sustainability meaning that people can live off their land. Traditionally served with mamaliga (often translated as polenta, this is a corn flour mush replacing bread in many traditional dishes) and sour cream, the Romanian cabbage rolls are not only delicious, but very creamy, consistent, and extremely satisfying. Over time this created a fascinating and wonderful communion between nature, men and animals. This traditional dish is the kind of desert that your grandma would make, but unfortunately it is very hard to find in restaurant menus, mainly because it’s not very good looking, is time-consuming to make, and hemp seeds are nowadays quite expensive. Discount up to 25%. Traditional Romanian food is hearty and very much part of the culture. This is because the traditional cuisine is actually a mix of dishes and cooking techniques borrowed from neighboring cultures, such as Hungarian, German, Turkish and Slavic, but transformed and Romanised with local herbs and spices. We don’t usually snack. It's fatty, it's buttery and sticky,  it's soft and silky like a cream but heavy and rich in taste, and it has tons of cheese in it. Also stuffed polenta with cheese and ham! Ciorbă refers to a type of traditional soup which can be served in many different ways, depending on the ingredients used. But if you're looking for the original, peasant-style traditional Romanian food experience, you should consider visiting countryside areas where guesthouse owners pride themselves on having the best, locally-sourced or home-made ingredients and products. Mici (Grilled Minced Meat Rolls) Literally translated as “Small ones” because they used to be only as big as an adult finger, Mici are truly delicious and very popular on barbeques, street food, cottage weekends, and birthday celebrations. 200 grams of semolina (purified wheat middlings, Boil the milk in a large pot with a heavy bottom, After the milk has come to a boil, stir the semolina in bit by bit so as to prevent lumps, When the semolina has been completely stirred in, add the other ingredients, stir them in, and allow the mixture to simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently so that nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot, When thickened and soft, pour into the serving bowl and top with cocoa powder and confectioner’s sugar, Leave to cool down until a tasty crust forms on the surface. Dinners are heavy, usually a type of stew with a side of rice, polenta or just crusty bread. "Invented" in the late '70s in the city of Radauti, this dish is actually an alternative to the above-mentioned soup - the tripe soup, which was considered to be too heavy and many people didn't enjoy the particular flavor of the tripe. Isn’t her handwriting beautiful? But then, one Google search away reveals this is called Aspic and it’s actually an Arabic invention. This is one of the most popular Romanian dishes, and there are numerous variations of the recipe. Traditional Romanian Food: Our comprehensive guide to Romanian dishes, Romanian drink (including popular Romanian wine varieties), Romanian Desserts including some favorite Romanian delicacies and the Romanian national dish.. Your email address will not be published. Cover the bottom with celery stalks and leaves (not chopped—just cut to length so they fit the pot). Romanian food is known for its diversity, having been influenced by Balkan traditions as well as customs of countries like Germany, Hungary, Turkey, Russia, and those countries of the Near East. But the one called rădăuțeană is among the most appreciated in Romania. She shares posts about makeup, fashion, body positivity and mental health and hopes to build upon the 10 countries she has visited already! Fill the pot with water and the two cans of tomato sauce so as to cover the bell peppers completely, Bring to boil on high heat, then reduce to a low heat and leave to simmer for 2 hours or until cooked, with a lid on the pot, 500 grams of white beans (we spent several minutes laughing because apparently the proper name is navy beans, which suggests they are blue, which they are not) – leave these to soak in cold water overnight, Put the beans in a pot with cold water and salt, and bring to a boil, After boiling the beans for 10-15 minutes, remove the water, Cover the beans with a fresh pot of hot water and continue boiling until the beans are soft (this seemingly redundant step is apparently meant to reduce the gassy side effects of eating beans—we don’t know if it’s true but we’re not willing to risk it), Once the beans have boiled well, drain the water out, Place the beans in a bowl with 4-5 cloves of peeled garlic,150 milliliters of vegetable oil, and salt and pepper to taste, Blend together with a hand blender, creating a fluffy paste. Probably the most famous Romanian food, there is nothing we like more than a good ciorba - a sour broth made out of one type of meat (chicken, beef, pork meatballs) and a mix of vegetables (or just vegetables), all boiled and served steaming with bread, sour cream and spicy peppers on the side. Before my transition, my favourite food was papanasi, AKA the best dessert on the planet. These are always made with a lot of love and care by the head lady of the family, so I hope this recipe helps you do us proud. As passionate about their own dishes as they are, Romanians will still enjoy their version of Hungarian goulash, Turkish shaorma, Russian borscht or Wiener schnitzel. Below you will find recipes for Vegetarian Quince Stew, Stuffed Bell Peppers, Bean Spread, Ciorba de Perișoare (Meatball soup), Sarmale cu varză acră (Meat rolls with sour cabbage), Grandma’s Special Pancakes (yum) andm Griș cu lapte (Semolina with Milk). There is nothing like the famous Moldavian stew, and there is no exaggeration in saying that this is the ultimate Romanian dish, as it combines the best traditional foods Romania has to offer: mamaliga (polenta), traditional salty fermented cheese, fried eggs, fried pork, traditional sausages, and pickles. It was a pleasure to go through these Romanian recipes with her and hear about her special tips. Sadly I’m not a fan of traditional Romanian food anymore because it’s all meat-based. Are you looking for the secrets to easy Romanian Recipes that only the real-deal Grandmas know?

Even for Romanians it’s sometimes confusing – but the taste, though mildly different, is always good! The most common pickles are pickled cucumbers, but you can also use peppers, cauliflower, or cabbage. We do make stuffed cabbages with polenta for Christmas, the main traditional Romanian food. One of the most cooked and eaten Romanian appetizers, the eggplant salad is the perfect choice for a quick snack and an amazing starter for a traditional Christmas dinner. All of these are then combined with onions, eggs, bay leaves, garlic, and plenty of salt and pepper.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen it outside of a menu in a Romanian restaurant or in my Grandma’s kitchen. Today, Romanians follow the tradition of starting out each meal with a selection of cured meats, sausages and salami assorted with various types of local cheeses: telemea (white, soft and salty) is the most popular, followed by cheese smoked in pine wood or branză de burduf (a combination of cow and sheep). Coming to Romania is a must for any travel enthusiast and food lover because there is such a richness in terms of traditional cuisine, that your senses will be absolutely spoiled with amazing and intense flavors. The most peculiar thing about Romanian food is that it has a very familiar taste, but at the same time it tastes like something you've never tried before. All of a sudden you will receive house recommendations and revered looks - check our vegeterian food guide. Tell me about your food blog! Some great traditional food of Romania you’ll want to try, Strangest, but still amazing, Romanian dishes you should try, But don’t panic! Chop two medium red onions (Julienne style). All you need is a piece of bread and mustard, maybe some pickled cucumbers on the side - it's Romania's favorite barbecue menu! A balanced mixture of rice and minced meat (usually pork or pork combined with beef) and other vegetables and local herbs is rolled in cabbage leaves or young grape leaves for a delicate flavor. But just 30 years ago when the communist regime was in its death throes, Romanians would queue to get their ration of milk, bread and sunflower oil; meat was a rarity and grocery stores were 'stocked' with empty shelves.