And remind us again whether or not Jesus was a historical figure fits into this discussion of salt, salary & a Roman soldier's pay??? Managing editor and logophile Andy Hollandbeck reveals the sometimes surprising roots of common English words and phrases. Pink Himalayan salt is used in speciality foods, spa treatments, and even home design. I get your objection, and Saqib's wrong of course, but don't waste your time - look at the date! Become a Saturday Evening Post member and enjoy unlimited access. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of their services. As a Roman soldier, when you’re pushing through foreign lands on your leaders’ quest to conquer the Western world, the coin of the land isn’t going to be very useful. The best of The Saturday Evening Post in your inbox! Roman salt-making entailed boiling the seawater in large lead-lined pans. Salt Health Myths. During the Middle Ages, salt was … After many years ghe king had a feast and many cooks were invited to prapare food. "The (Political) Science of Salt. Salt was a valuable commodity around the world — more valuable than gold to some, because having salt to preserve food meant that you could eat year-round. A teaspoon of regular table salt has 2,360 mg of sodium, 23% more sodium than a teaspoon of coarse salt. Police and other officers asking for a bribe often use the word "chai" = tea. ), like an army (not to mention the fact that an army needs strong muscles and to be in shape to fight with swords or spears or other weapons, not at all easy to carry or handle because they did not have buttons to push at that time) then the amount of salt required for a good condition is higher and the salt is massively eliminated by perspiration.

"Give him some tea" can be the recommendation when stopped by traffic police. "A Pinch of Controversy Shakes Up Dietary Salt." From Middle English salarie, from Anglo-Norman salarie, from Old French salaire, from Latin salārium (“wages”), the neuter form of the adjective salārius (“related to salt”), from sal (“salt”). (Jan. 7, 2015) The main difference between being an expat or not is earning an expat salary in India. The fact that nowadays doctors insist on reducing salt in the daily diet derives from the fact that we live in an industrial era where industrially processed food is supersaturated with salt to increase the taste because man is equipped mainly with specialized taste buds in salt and sweet without which the muscles and brain - as the main sugar consumer, cannot work. Salt was used as a trading medium just as money is used today. However, according to more modern sources, it is stated that although Roman soldiers were typically paid in coin, the word salarium is derived from the word sal (salt) because at some point a soldier's salary may have been an allowance for the purchase of salt the price of having soldiers conquer salt supplies and guard the Salt Roads (Via Salaria) that led to Rome. How can you expect anyone to take your 'information' seriously if you present unsupported information and then tell us to find our own sources, on a topic that is described in the main article as being hard to pin down, and full of inaccuracies. Did Leonardo Da Vinci Invent Contact Lenses In 1508? Very well researched article, I wish more of the information on the internet was like this. Food Storage Without Electricity – Top 10 Foods to Stockpile, Singing Lightning: One Million Volts of Music. "Sea Salt Adds Wave of Extra Zip and Crunch." Your email address will not be published. Some resources say that Roman soldiers were given an allowance for the purchase of salt, and others say they were paid directly in salt. Salt became much cheaper only in the 1st century BC, when the Roman empire expanded its territory by grabbing many other areas where salt was produced, especially south of the Danube, but not only when the price of salt dropped naturally if the sources have become multiple, under their own control directly and within reach. 1873: President Ulysses S. Grant signed the bill that authorized his raise for his second term. (This is also where we get the expression "not worth one's salt.")

. Salt was used as currency in ancient Rome, and the roots of the words "soldier" and "salary" can be traced to Latin words related to giving or receiving salt. is valued in Den/ari,,, Saltari, Salary. Salt's ability to preserve food was a founding contributor to the development of civilization. Ancient Roman warriors who served the empire received payment with a handful of salt each day. This is where we get the expression worth your salt. First Sumerian Revolt – People Oppose The Harsh Akkadian Empire, Hidden Carving Of Stonemason Never Meant To Be Seen Discovered In Cathedral Santiago De Compostela. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of their services. Hence,, Earning ones Salt,, and,, Being worth ones Salt, Paying compensation for the salt of anothers labor,, all become intertwined. Ever heard the theory that it's bad luck to spill salt and you should throw it over your back as soon as possible? If the recipe calls for coarse salt—make sure to use just that, or use less of fine grain salt. New York Times, September 1, 2001. http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/09/health/09SALT.html?ex=1194321600&en=260217115494b8a0&ei=5070, Why do they use salt to melt ice on the road in winter, Information about the device's operating system, Information about other identifiers assigned to the device, The IP address from which the device accesses a client's website or mobile application, Information about the user's activity on that device, including web pages and mobile apps visited or used, Information about the geographic location of the device when it accesses a website or mobile application. I just wanted to show you the importance of the word SALT in the history of LIFE and humanity ... element that you did not take into account when you wrote this article that started well but failed because you did not have taken into account several variables.

Remember: Etymology tells us where a word comes from, but not what it means today. This obviously indicates that soldiers in the English Civil War were literally paid in rhinoceroses. It isn’t nearly as daft as ‘soldiers were paid in salt’, but it’s still only a conjecture, unsupported by any ancient testimony. I better be worth my ‘salt’ Andy, considering all the money I bring in for my company of the (outstanding) accounts receivables at my company.

It wasn’t because the foods of conquered lands were overly bland, but because salt is a preservative. One of them was his daughter who prepared him soup without salt. The Saturday Evening Post is a nonprofit organization funded primarily by our members. PSA: for the record I generally only remove comment if they're spam (I haven't had any promoting harming others, yes, but I'd remove those too).