PCMag Digital Group. Our expert industry analysis and practical solutions help you make better buying decisions and get more from technology. Still, the card's swift performance translates into swift game-loading speed, though it isn’t quite as quick as the internal storage. To be able to play and save games on the drive it must meet the following requirements: USB 3.0 ; At least 256 GB in capacity. It was working fine until yesterday I was on the "games and apps" menu and suddenly all the 97 games from my 2TB seagate drive got moved to "ready to install" and the only games showing up installed are the few I have on my internal storage. Will Greenwald has been covering consumer technology for a decade, and has served on the editorial staffs of CNET.com, Sound & Vision, and Maximum PC.

That’s still very quick for the card. Well my Console happened to freeze during some games updating.

I am afraid though that the 4TB drive is fried. This particular drive is giving me issues. The rest of the card is a dark gray, metal slip bearing the Seagate logo, with an open end containing the drive's connection pins. It powers up, I can hear it, but system acts like it is not there. Boost your console’s storage capacity with the Seagate ® Game Drive, the only external hard drive designed exclusively for Xbox.. Up to 4TB capacity lets you store 100+ Xbox One games 1; Plug-and-play setup gets you up and playing in seconds Part 2. It’s barely the size of a credit card and not much thicker, measuring just 2.1 by 1.25 by 0.3 inches (HWD). It powers up, I can hear it, but system acts like it is not there. Media Drive The Game Drive for Xbox can be used to play or view media through the Xbox One. Add 1TB of blazing-fast SSD storage to your new Xbox. this would mean it was writing to the HDD and when you unplugged the console it was probably in the middle of writing to the HDD and crashed the heads into the platter. So, at least for large Xbox Series S/X-optimized games, you must use internal storage or the Storage Expansion Card. If a game isn't optimized for the Xbox Series S/X, like Xbox One or earlier games, you can install it on a USB drive and it'll work fine. I've heard rumors some people still manage to fix it. Movies, music and pictures can be saved to the drive and played on your television using the Xbox … Nothing says “Game Over” for the Xbox One ® experience like a full hard drive. That’s excellent performance, and it helps justify its $220 price. Transferring Yakuza: Like a Dragon to the drive took a lengthy 3 minutes and 39 seconds, more than three times longer than it took to transfer the game to the Storage Expansion Card. As a massive Halo fan, this is pretty damn cool. It then took 1 minute and 21 seconds to move the full game back to the internal SSD. Graphic card keeps beeing and clicking and monitor turns off after 30 minutes. This article has the most comprehensive solutions to Seagate internal and external hard drive not working problems on both Windows and Mac. Check the Power Supply Seagate and Microsoft claim the expansion card slot provides speeds equal to internal storage, but that didn’t quite translate in my tests. If everything works, it is strange that the hard drive would not work with Xbox. Will they be the only supplier? At this point, the data on the Seagate hard drive will become inaccessible. A black plastic cap takes up a third of the rectangular card, holding the Xbox logo, a label noting that it’s 1TB in capacity, and a small plastic tab to make it easier to insert and remove. How the Xbox One formats the hard drive makes it invisible to other devices to see. If the drive does not meet these requirements you will not be able to save or play games to the drive . Media Drive The Game Drive for Xbox can be used to play or view media through the Xbox One. Neither will xbox 360. It gets recognized by my laptop but not the Xbox, plus the light doesn’t light up …

If you do not want Xbox to detect it after connecting, have you tried all the USB ports? A limited Master Chief vinyl die-cut sticker set also comes in the box for fans to collect. However, users may sometimes encounter problems like Seagate hard drive not detected or Seagate hard drive not recognized. Seagate Announces Game Drive for Xbox Halo: Master Chief Limited Edition, Wait for It: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed to December 10th, Seagate: 20 TB HAMR Drives Arrive in December, 50 TB Capacities in 2026, Microsoft Unveils the Xbox Series S: The Smallest Xbox Ever, Microsoft: Only Consoles Supporting Full RDNA 2 Capabilities Are Xbox Series X and Series S, Excludes PlayStation 5, Bug in HDMI 2.1 Chipset May Cause Black Screen on Your Xbox Series X Console or NVIDIA GPU, Microsoft Reveals Final Pricing and Availability of Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, Seagate Launches SkyHawk AI 18TB Hard Drive, CORSAIR Launches HS70 Bluetooth Gaming Headset, CORSAIR Launches HS75 XB WIRELESS Headset for Xbox, Seagate Updates IronWolf and IronWolf Pro NAS HDD Portfolio with New 18TB HDD and two new SSDs, www.grandandtoy.com/en/product/IM476XXA_Seagate_Game_Drive_for_Xbox_STEA2000431_-_Halo_Master_Chief_Limited_Edition_-_hard_drive_-_2_TB_-_USB_3_0.aspx, www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100161330%20600006255%20600006261, Converting old main rig to living room pc, Ryzen 5800 owners complain about very high MT load temps. Will is also a THX Level I home theater expert and ISF Level III-certified TV calibrator, which ensures the thoroughness and accuracy of all PCMag TV reviews. Keep an eye on your inbox! Well my Console happened to freeze during some games updating. I dint think the external hard drive is dead as i can feel and hesr the whirling of it. Honestly when a device does not show up on the PC like that it normally means that the Headers have crashed into the platters (Not good at all) This normally happens when its in the middle of writing something to the HDD (you said you were updating the games)  It'll just load much more slowly. This newsletter may contain advertising, deals, or affiliate links. Then, you'll be able to set it up as a drive for Xbox … We recommend simply getting the X from the start instead of adding it to the S, for all of the extra features you get (like an optical drive, and a much more powerful GPU). He currently covers consumer electronics in the PC Labs as the in-house home entertainment expert, reviewing TVs, media hubs, speakers, headphones, and gaming accessories. Here are four methods to deal with a Seagate external hard drive that is not blinking: Method 1. If the drive does not meet these requirements you will not be able to save or play games to the drive . When installed on the internal SSD, that same load took 38 seconds. Still nothing! If your Seagate external hard drive is not working nor detecting and the light is not blinking, it may be caused by power supply issues or failed HDD. Quite recently I have purchased Seagate’s Xbox one hard drive.

How the Xbox One formats the hard drive makes it invisible to other devices to see. Once it has checked for supported drives and shows a list of hard drives, simply click the small white box to the left of the seagate hard drive that is used for your xbox and choose S.M.A.R.T. https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/seagate-storage-expansion-card-for-xbox-series-xs. To install the card, just insert it into the expansion slot on the back of the Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S. Push the card in firmly to make sure it completely connects, and the system will automatically detect the SSD. The Seagate Storage Expansion Card adds 1TB of storage to the Xbox Series S/X that’s about as fast, if perhaps just slightly slower, as the internal SSD. So I am unable to add a Partition. If anyone knows what I should do I'd really appreciate it. That’s where Seagate comes in, with the Storage Expansion Card for the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. It’s a 1TB SSD that plugs directly into the expansion card slot on the back of either system, immediately adding storage that’s nearly as fast as the internal SSD. So I think I'm going to need some experts here.

Lots of people use Seagate external hard drive to save games and apps for Xbox One. Subscribing to a newsletter indicates your consent to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. I can confirm it's not a BIOS or Hardware issue among my Pc. The Seagate Storage Expansion Card is an easy, if pricey, way to add 1TB of storage to your Xbox Series S or X, while nearly matching the internal SSD's fast performance.

It took 46 seconds to load Yakuza: Like a Dragon—a game installed on the Storage Expansion Card—from the Home screen into a saved game. It was working fine until yesterday I was on the "games and apps" menu and suddenly all the 97 games from my 2TB seagate drive got moved to "ready to install" and the only games showing up installed are the few I have on my internal storage. The interface uses the Xbox Velocity Architecture, which according to Microsoft, offers speeds 40 times that of conventional hard drives. Does not show up in This PC (My Computer), Seagate Official Software cannot detect it (They offered me to have it sent in for manual repair which I might have to do.). Seagate Storage Expansion Card for Xbox Series X|S, How to Free Up Space on Your iPhone or iPad, How to Save Money on Your Cell Phone Bill, How to Find Free Tools to Optimize Your Small Business, How to Get Started With Project Management, The Best Controllers for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Cloud Gaming, The Best Flight Sticks for Microsoft Flight Simulator, More Game Controllers & Accessory Reviews, How to Connect a PS4 DualShock 4 Controller to a PC, PlayStation 5 Custom Covers Are Already Available, Microsoft Extends Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller Warranty to 12 Months, Nacon Launches Xbox Controllers for xCloud Gaming on Android, Seagate's Xbox Storage Expansion Cards Really Do Cost $220, Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (for PlayStation 5) Review. Celebrating the legendary Master Chief from the Halo video game franchise, this limited edition Game Drive features a one-of-a-kind sleek case design that celebrates the Master Chief John-117. You can follow the question or vote as helpful, but you cannot reply to this thread. This is particularly important for titles optimized for the new Xbox consoles, as the systems don't support installing games via USB drives, SSD or HDD, because the transfers speeds are comparatively slower. Fast load times via solid-stare drives (SSDs) is one of the new console generation's biggest benefits. PCMag.com is a leading authority on technology, delivering Labs-based, independent reviews of the latest products and services.