Other areas of Asia do have key winter festivals.

Related Questions.

So you are planning to visit Thailand in the winter. You have to admit, the ground does look white and fluffy in that picture. I was inspired to write this article because just the other day a family member asked me if we were going to get any snow this year. Still, it is always magical to see snow :). According to the Southeast Regional Climate Center at the University of North Carolina, Atlanta, Georgia receives 2.2 inches of snowfall per year. For example, I have found that many people don’t really know what “% chance of rain” actually means. (For Families, Solo Travelers And Others), Are Trains In Thailand Safe? Originally Answered: does it snow in Thailand?

The average air temperature in Bangkok in December is 26 °C (78.8 °F). A scientific study from Pennsylvania State University was recently published in the Journal of Atmospheric Sciences. Receive my monthly roundup of posts with tips on living and traveling in Thailand. Does Thailand Have Snow? However, residents beg to differ and boast proudly of their claim to snow fame. This is particularly true in winter when those travelers are weary of scraping ice from windshields at home. Thailand Travel Essentials is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies. Hence we have a very cold rainy day in northern Thailand. Heavy dew is quite common up North and frost on leaves and vegetation in the very high grounds is sometimes reported late in the year. Thailand Travel Essentials is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Piyanut Pannoy Position Libero Selection 28 Birth Date 10/11/1989 Weight 62 kg Height 171 cm There are some reports of snow in Thailand during its winter in late 1955. Peru; Contact ; Europe, Germany.

Winter in Thailand starts at the end of December and continues until the end of March. Greg Rodgers is a freelance writer and photographer from Kentucky. There were many others of course, but I despise the time after the snow is finished falling. On January 23, 2014, the air temperature in Bangkok decreased to 15.6 °C. Dr. J. Marshall Shepherd, a leading international expert in weather and climate, was the 2013 President of American Meteorological Society (AMS) and is Director of the. I explored this in a previous Forbes article. It was fun to watch the bingsu machine in action while ours was made at Kaffeekännchen! This is caused by the current cold front that has been hanging around northern Thailand in early October that is causing rain and wind in the regions there. ChrisThere is virtually no question that snow has accumulated on Doi Inthanon today Jan. 26. Satellite image of snow on the ground in parts of North Georgia in early December 2017. Like much of Asia, Thailand has a culture of haggling. Maybe it'll happen again! Weather and Events to Expect for Thailand in Summer, What You Should Know About Traveling to Asia in March, Fall Is Rainy in Thailand, but the Sun Should Come Out in November, Weather and Events for Traveling in Asia During January, Weather, Festivals and Tips for Traveling in Asia During December, Weather, Events, and What to Expect for Spring in Asia, Here's What to Know About Traveling in Thailand During High Season, The Weather and Climate in Southeast Asia, See the Top Destinations in Asia for this Fall, Everything You Need to Know About the Weather in Naples, Italy, Where to Find Asia's Best Weather and Festivals in February, Winter in Thailand: Weather, What to Pack, and What to See, Tripsavvy uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. I am much happier sweating versus shivering. It means that officially the coldest temperature ever recorded in Thailand is -1.4 °C that was recorded in Sakhon Nakhon on January 2, 1974. Earlier, I noted that Atlanta receives approximately 2 inches of snow per year. Perhaps for the first time in centuries. However, let’s look closely at averages.

Those occasions are more likely to happen in Northern-Thailand where the temperature might drop enough to form frost. I smile as I write this combination of words – winter in Phuket , Winter or the cool season in Phuket begins in November and ends in February. I guess there is no need for me to sell you the idea of going to Thailand as you have already made up your mind . That was hail not snow. There was a snow park in Bangkok, but it was for kids to build the snowman. As the air temperature in winter cools off to around 27 °C (79 °F) and occasionally even lower, it is a very pleasant temperature for a perfect vacation in Thailand. "Winter" refers to the months of December, January, and February. In a 2019 interview, Prince recounted his history with Snow and described how he mentored, recorded demos for, scheduled showcase performances for, and ultimately, arranged for Snow to audition for MC Shan.

> Find a TEFL Course Dear readers, if you have any suggestions of other places in Europe where I can try good bingsu, please share with me!

Hopefully, it is clear now why it is somewhat meaningless to ask me on December 9th if Atlanta is going to receive snowfall in January, February or March. Prince recounted how he and Snow wrote Informer over the phone while Snow was serving his sentence at Maplehurst Correctional Complex. Brace yourselves…winter is finally coming – or so we really, really hope! Follow us on Instagram at @TheSmartLocalTH for more local stories in Thailand!

Although the winter sounds cold, let me remind you that we’re talking about 27 °C (80.6 °F) here. However in the Deep South (and even in the Washington DC area where I previously lived), there are at least 3 credible ways that I answer the question depending on my mood and available time (smile). I would say that November is the cheapest month to fly to Thailand. If you are visiting temples, it's easy to take them off before going in.

This “snow” remained for about 14 hours and then melted away.

Although Thailand's weather is ideal in the winter months, it's still probably way warmer than you left at home. The climate in Thailand throughout December is synonymous with superb weather in Thailand, with an omnipresent sun and very few showers. A quick check on the weather app also shows that we can expect chilly early mornings this December, with temperatures as cool as 17°C. But doesn't look like that happened. As meteorologists, there are a “bag of questions” that we always receive from people in our public and professional lives. The haze really peaks in March and April, however, there’s a chance that some fires will already be burning in February or sooner.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Though there is often areal coverage in a “percent chance of rain,” many meteorologists won’t say there is a 50% chance of rain (even if that is what the data shows) because of the fear that people will interpret it as 50/50 or a coin toss. Check out their website to see the information about the rainfalls in Thailand as well. The lowest ever recorded temperature in Bangkok was 9.9°C (49.8 °F) in January 1955, which coincidentally was the same year snow fell in Chiang Rai. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! See this illustration made by BookMundi about the best time when to visit Thailand. > Book a Hotel As we progress through the winter season, beware of the snow "wishcasters" that start posting about every little hint of snow from long-range models, questionable sources in social media, Almanacs or Weather Apps. Average Annual Snowfall in the Contiguous U.S. Note that December and January is high season in Thailand. It affirmed what most meteorologists have long understood about the atmosphere. Sadly that year it took away the lives of 63 people. & if you enjoyed reading this post, please leave a comment here or on TravellersScoops Facebook page! Thailand is a popular destination and stays pretty well busy throughout the year. Because of the combination of wind and rain, it could get really cold on the speedboat. Yes, it does feel wrong to me when I type the word cold and think of  26 °C at the same time . Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own. Okay, calm down. Never before in recent cliamatological history has there been a situation like this with an intense Siberian high pressure system (up to an amazing 1066mb strength!) The top of the mountain there does drop below freezing once every few years, and its therefore always a tiny possibility of snow when that happens. Get your facts right, please. Party on! P.S. As the high season hits in December, the tourism floodgates really open.

While I like a small amount of toppings that compliment the taste and texture of bingsu, too many toppings just get in my way and they shadow the subtle milky taste of the snowflakes. The weather in Thailand is classified as hot and humid, with a long monsoon season.. Thailand has three official seasons - hot, cool, and wet.. The hot season runs from March through to June, with April and May the hottest months of the year..

Dr. J. Marshall Shepherd, a leading international expert in weather and climate, was the 2013 President of American Meteorological Society (AMS) and is Director of the University of Georgia’s (UGA) Atmospheric Sciences Program.

I was looking at some stats and a fair number of people pass away up North due to cold related illness each year. He has over 80 peer-reviewed scholarly publications and numerous editorials. and PhD in physical meteorology from Florida State University. P.S. Perhaps for the first time in centuries.

“Now, when we look back at the photos, I feel like we look like the heart in the snow. ). As the monsoon season winds down in November, sunny days return sans humidity, making winter the best time to travel in Thailand. Of course, most tourists head to Phuket. Meteorologists in much of the gray shaded area in … Also during the day. Access hourly, 10 day and 15 day forecasts along with up to the minute reports and videos from AccuWeather.com

What is the weather going to be tomorrow? Is There Skiing In Thailand? Meanwhile, the islands in the Samui Archipelago will still be receiving a little rain. Rain slacks slightly for the islands in the Gulf of Thailand but doesn't stop completely. Admittedly here is some doubt/debate as to whether it was snow or hail, but when it settled on the ground it looked ver much like snow, and the local people considered it to be snow. Sometimes weeks of slush and ice and cold biting winds...no thanks. Thailand’s climate’s largely tropical as the country’s close to the equator, which means you’ll get lots of hot weather in September.

But this time WAS DIFFERENT. As I have already mentioned the winter solstice in Thailand is on December 22 although the cool season in Thailand normally begins in November. Indeed. Prior to UGA, Dr. Shepherd spent 12 years as a Research Meteorologist at NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center and was Deputy Project Scientist for the Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) mission. I would say that it is the best destination in Thailand for first-time travelers. I DON’T KNOW. It is expected that the temperatures in the regions in the north and northeast will drop by 1 or 2 degrees at first and then another 1 to 3 degrees between October 12th to 13th. I'm claiming your MacBook:) it just snowed in Chang Ma.