When you think about "I've always been told XYZ is horrible for you", consider what many people tell us about how horrible the foods keto folk eat are for us. This experiment was not considered relevant, because it has not been detected in humans at all. I can't stomach any of them.

I've used powdered Splenda and liquid Stevia in some baking and other recipes. There was one experiment where lab rats contracted some weird digestive issues.

So as far as accessibility goes, splenda is the clear winner in my book. Stevia comes as fresh leaves, dried leaves, white powder and a liquid concentrate.

Aspartame may be addictive, but it is nowhere near the addiction level of nicotine. To some people (myself included) battery acid would be preferable to stevia. The ugly side of Splenda.

Actually, alot of diet drinks have moved over to Splenda, but I know Diet Coke still uses aspartame. Personally I can notice any amount of fake sweeteners immediately.

Explain Like I'm Five is the best forum and archive on the internet for layperson-friendly explanations. I hate Quest bars, Halo Top, any of that stuff that uses it. No deleterious effects, but I don't like the taste or aftertaste of either.

Japan has had stevia-sweetened food and beverages for almost forty years now.

I've found I'd rather have the few baked items I make unsweetened instead. You realize there is chlorine in table salt (NaCl - literally half chloride ions, the same thing that's in Splenda), right?

I hear that's not uncommon, especially with people who are allergic to ragweed. It is a shrub of sorts that has a naturally occurring sweetness to its leaves.

I love erythritol. Like Ace-K on a timer. Stevia is weird as hell. That and I find that keto is easier if I stick to real foods and not try to fool myself.

Stevia does not, nor does it (for me) trigger cravings, so I use the non-bitter liquid. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Stevia can have a weird after taste to some people though. So it just really grosses me out and I avoid it like the plague. Good call on keeping xylitol out of the house if you have 4-Legs!!! But what everyone here agrees on is that SUGAR is what's likely worst for us, at least at this point in our lives.

But erythritol isn't like that for me. So I use truvia insead for baking and lower the amount by 1/3-1/2. Stevia just tastes weird.

MOAR!" Splenda was supposed to be a good product for many reasons, one of them being that it contained no calories.

It tastes by far (for me) the closest to actual sugar, but man... not worth it.

Depends on your sense of taste.

It kinda tastes like eating a root or a flower stem. For me, at least. It reminds me very strongly of mint, and I am allergic to mint (I know, I'm super weird). Press J to jump to the feed. Those have malitol in them, which a lot of people are sensitive to. In its powder or concentrated liquid form, the sweetness has a slower onset and longer duration than sugar.

What are your opinions?

Despite there being no solid scientific evidence to condemn Splenda, I'm suspicious/fearful of it.

The basic idea is to have a sweetener that does not have the calorie content of sugar. Battling Quest bar addiction right now :(. While technically true, the chemical process of turning sugar into splenda requires a degree in chemistry to understand.

Its taste can be off-putting, but when you bake with it, you can use extracts to cover it up.

I find that stevia never gets your coffee quite sweet enough. In my opinion, sweet n low tastes like a science experiment, and so does equal. TL;DR: I would rather moderate my sugar intake than deal with the weird flavor profiles of artificial sweeteners.

All joking aside, it is scientifically impossible to harm yourself with artificial sweetener alone. You can buy it in an grocery store, it doesn't give me gastric distress, it tastes good, and it's relatively inexpensive.

Also how much would I have to consume on a daily basis to be harmful.

Coke Zero uses splenda. Combinations of two or more sweeteners have a synergistic effect that makes them taste better and sweeter than the same amount of one sweetener. Directions said 5 drops for 1 cup or to taste - i placed about 8 drops but still didnt taste sweetened, just minty. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, F/34/5'5 | Start 2/17/15 | SW: 230 | CW: 198.6 | GW: 155, F/33/5'2" | HW 335| CW 263.8 | GW 180 or less, 32F 5'9" | SW300 CW205 GW160 | MFP thewolfewalker, u/Pasadena_cat F/69/5'6"/SW:200/GW:145/CW/130, F/23/5'10" | SD 11.22.16 | SW 205 | GW 165, F/26/5'4 (restart) | SW:194 | CW: 141 | GW: 125. The only other time I really eat artificial sweeteners is when I eat CarbSmart icecream or Atkins bars.

I used to use Xylitol when I made low carb cakes, it behaves a lot like sugar and makes the cakes more moist but I found out it was LETHAL to cats and dogs and I just didn't want it around the house after that so I stopped using it.

New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the explainlikeimfive community. I like Stevia for being natural but I would say the exact opposite about the aftertaste. Which one do you guys prefer as far as taste is concerned?

Actually doesn't taste too bad, but pure stevia has a taste "delay" to me. I tried looking it up on google but got very confused.

The only time I use sweetners is when I bake something (cheesecake cups.) New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Was horribly sour for a second, then kind of sweet. Aspartame (the blue one) was discovered in the 60s. I bake with it in small amounts (some in my NY-style cheesecake). Splenda is not terrible, but it still doesn't taste right. I agree with every single point. It has been proven to cause headdaches, and I personally think it might be addictive. Stevia based protein powders seem to agree well with my system.

Makes me wonder what's really in those "all natural" products.

I find both aspartame and saccharin to be bitter, and Stevia I find to be cloying. Artificial sweeteners seem to have different effects on people, it's very individualized and needs some personal experimenting I think. I avoid anything with Malitol like the plague having had, uh, unfortunate side effects, and Stevia tastes really bitter and nasty to me, but I do use Splenda some which doesn't seem to give me the same reaction as the Xylitol nor the tummy problems of Malitol, but in general I'm trying to avoid them because I've come to realise the more I use the fake sweeteners the harder keto is. YMMV. regarding quest bars, I also can't eat them without having a major "SUGAR GOOOOOOOOOOD! I … I avoid them because of this. Vegetable glycerol/glycerin: tastes a little like honey, draws moisture in food, still caloric but safe for diabetics as it is metabolized differently than sugar, makes your mouth feel dry.

But now I see that a lot of you use Splenda in your recipes. Although it has long been used, certain controversies about the product have been raised lately due to its contents. I keep tricking myself into thinking I can handle a little bit, but no way.

Usually I prefer to use the Torani syrups, because I like it in liquid, flavored form. Only recently has it become widespread enough to see it at Starbucks and such. I get all sweaty, shortness of breath etc. How do you like it compared to the other two? Splenda comes in granular form and as tablets.

That was very understandable. I don't use xylitol since I never see it anywhere and when I do it costs more than I am willing to spend. It. Most of the recipes I see use splenda, but the baking splenda and the splenda that comes in the big bags is filled out with malitol.

Like stevia, it contains no calories, but Splenda contains about 95% dextrose (D-glucose) and maltodextrin which the body readily metabolizes, combined with a small amount of mostly indigestible sucralose. Splenda pretty much exploded on the market, and it is now the most popular artificial sweetener out there.

In the 70s, it was proven that pure saccharine will give cancer to lab rats. It takes longer to notice the sweetness, but when it hits you it stays longer.

Stevia extract has been stripped of its natural properties and there isn't enough research to know that long term effects could be. I find them all kind of... um... artificial.

Sucralose (the yellow one) is the newest chemical sweetener, which went on sale in 1998. I like the flavoured Stevia drops in carbonated water too. Splenda® Stevia Granulated Sweetener. Actually doesn't taste too bad, but pure stevia has a taste "delay" to me. Try it in a cup of coffee, then try it in a cup of tea and you'll see what I mean.

No idea why, I know they don't technically have sugar in them, but apparently my body doesn't know that. Post anything related to cooking here, within reason.

THIS!

I've always been told Splenda is horrible for you and that your body treats it just the same as sugar while Xylitol and Stevia, are not absorbed by the body therefore going right through you (can have a laxative effect if one has too much). Found this out when a friend made koolaid with it. I also chew sugarless gum with no problems.

Acesulfame potassium/Ace-K: the one I can almost stand, though I still find it to be off like aspartame. Japan developed a way of extracting the sweet chemical, and distilling it into a granular sweetener in the 70s as a reaction to the saccharine controversy.

Splenda may give you irritable bowel syndrome if you ate an insane dose every day.

Stevia/rebaudiosides/rebiana: WEIRD. I prefer to use erithrytol over stevia and stevia over splenda but I do use them all with no ill side effects. It's strange because I can grow Stevia and eat it but the finished product makes me sick to the point of throwing up. Sometimes people will make Stevia mixes with it, completely off-setting the benefits Stevia has. Find something that works for you. Haven't tried Stevia, but I heard it's twice as expensive. Splenda is sweet and is marketed as tasting like sugar, though some users report being able to tell the difference.

The leaves may taste bitter or like licorice.Bot…

A large selling point is how you can cook with it easily, and use the exact measurements you would for sugar. Not that great considering it's not cheap! Stevia is a great sweetener is used in its natural form. Varies from person to person though so ymmv.

I can't tolerate the metallic taste of any of the above in large doses. The best-tasting stevia, Splenda® Stevia Granulated Sweetener is 100% natural, and is great for baking and sweetening all your beverages.

They don't bother me at all, at least not in the moderate amounts I consume of them.