Is there something special that you’d like to do here over the summer months? And it’s a great treat when you’re on a budget, as renting a kayak only sets you back €6. Highest rated places of interest or tour operators on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews. So, do you feel like visiting The Netherlands in summer?

The Netherlands are of course known for canals, wharves, museums and tulip fields. On a sunny and warm day: there’s no place you’d rather be than a Dutch beach. I’d love to find out. Canals, lakes, streams, rivers, we have it all. Further up north, in Friesland and Groningen, you’ll be able to spot seals in the beautiful ecosystem that is Waddenzee. By bicycle, it’s not only easy to explore more than just the city centre without being stuck in a hot metro or tram cart, but you’ll also be able to see parts of the city that aren’t completely overrun by tourists yet, like Amsterdam Noord. Congrats on bubs too! All Rights Reserved Disclaimer & Privacy. Hope he likes to travel We visited Haarlem beaches once and were told a few times Zeeland is beautiful and we have to visit someday. We definitely want to explore more of Netherlands, but hadn’t thought about a summer trip. Read more about the organization and get to know the Holland.com editors. This amazing town is also called Venice of the North as this mystical town has no roads, only canals, bike paths and walkways. Canals, it doesn’t get more Dutch than that. It makes for a truly delightful day trip from the Dutch capital, yet it is often completely overlooked. Read all about 7 fun beaches in The Netherlands. It’s no secret that over half of The Netherlands is below sea level.

You can enter the park at Schaarsbergen, Hoenderloo and Otterlo. Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity. I would have liked to spend more time in the Netherlands but my cruise stop was cut short and my time in Europe too rushed. Discover 255 hidden attractions, cool sights, and unusual things to do in the Netherlands from Electric Ladyland: The Museum of Fluorescent Art to Wolfsdreuvik. I have never stayed in one (as they get booked up pretty fast), but it must be fantastic to be lulled asleep by the sound of the crashing waves, wake up and walk to the sea for a refreshing morning swim and picnic and BBQ the day away. Other alluring islands, like Terschelling and Vlieland, can be reached from Harlingen harbour.

The Wadden Sea and the five Wadden islands teem with life.

Neeltje Jans, which is the name of this massive storm surge barrier is an amazing site to visit and the exhibition centre will tell you more about this structure as well teach you all about the massive power of water. With kid-friendly tours, garden grounds, and courtyard cafés, Kasteel de Haar (Castle … I always like shocking people by telling them the house of my mother-in-law lays 8 meters below sea level. But it’s also not much of a problem to rent a boat and go sailing yourself. Another popular summer activity is visiting one of the exciting cities in the Netherlands. The weather is often quite good, pretty warm, and the country is nice and relaxed this time of year.

I am Your Dutch Guide, here to help you discover The Netherlands beyond Amsterdam.

The voice behind Your Dutch Guide, helping you to explore The Netherlands beyond Amsterdam. Bring a packed lunch, snacks and drinks to save money, as well as toys and accessories to keep the kids busy when they’re not in the water.

I would love to come back and do the seals, or stay in a beach hut.

From small rowing and electric boats to sailing boats for longer holiday periods. Perhaps it was Amsterdam Noord because that scenery looks familiar. Congratulations!

The centre of the town has some lovely traditional Dutch houses, along the waterside and the locks. BEACHES: Nothing quite matches the beach when it comes to low-cost activities for families with children that live in commutable distance of the Netherlands coast. I highly recommend visiting Broek in Waterland, Edam or Zaandam from Amsterdam. Congrats! Spend the night on the water in Flevoland. We are expecting one next week. © 2020 - Your Dutch Guide & De Beer Media (KvK 57179875). If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. It doesn’t get in the way of daily life though. Seriously, there is so much to do in The Netherlands over summer, you better book your tickets and hotel soon. Holland.com is the official website for the Netherlands as a tourist destination. The real villages of Holland are quite something, even for most Dutch people. The collection of Van Gogh paintings is stunning, just go have a look at The Potato Eaters and The Weavers. On a warm day, I highly recommend joining this guided bike tour in Amsterdam to enjoy the beautiful countryside surrounding Amsterdam, overlooking lakes, typical Dutch villages and even a castle. I am Esther, a 30 something journalist from Utrecht, The Netherlands. Hopefully you get to take him on some of these Dutch adventures soon. Welcome! This website tells you how to handle and plan it. And fantastic information as always, I love your photos, and I’m dying to come visit these places! Can I have a safe holiday in the Netherlands this summer? It’s also possible to grab a bike and take a tour along 42 km of bike paths and trails (you can choose whatever distance you like, the mushroom-shaped distance markers will guide you) and maybe you will even see some wild boar and red deer. Esther, I love this list of how to experience the Netherlands in summer! Visit the main visitor centre in the heart of the park with beautiful displays of flora and fauna or book a guided tour there. In my article The best Dutch city beaches you will read all about them.

Are you coming to The Netherlands in summer and wondering what to do in our small, but wonderful, country? .

How exciting! Personally, I think Hoge Veluwe National Park (the largest national park in the country), with marshlands, forests, dunes and moorland is absolutely magnificent and makes for an easy day trip from Amsterdam. As much as I love, love, love Amsterdam… it can get quite crowded, especially in summer months when Duch people take time off in summer and visit Amsterdam for a day or two. It looks like Amsterdam overshadows some of the other great things to do in the Netherlands. Discover the most beautiful spots and best activities here. What a great event, Esther! - Finally, make sure you are familiar with the current rules and measures relating to covid-19. Your official guide for visiting the Netherlands.

I really loved Landal Sluftervallei, Texel. Get inspired by these 10 summer tips for a beach vacation, several day trips or adventures in nature. more, Historic Sites, History Museums, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Specialty Museums, Theme Parks, Rides & Activities, Playgrounds, Theme Parks, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Educational sites, Scenic Walking Areas, Neighborhoods, Bridges, Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Scenic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Scenic Walking Areas. And, congratulations on the birth of your future globetrotter! - Also keep an eye on the current situation in the Netherlands and the area where you plan to stay. I love the look of the beach huts in the Netherlands. And congratulations Babies are so precious. Little boys are the best, although I may be a little biased. I’ve never noticed them anywhere else but they seem like a relaxing way to enjoy the seaside! Make sure you are well prepared before leaving home.

Tasting beer and jenever: the best tips. You’re so lucky for having a sweet little angel! Check out my 15 favourite things to do in The Netherlands in summer. Congratulations, Esther! We have suggestions. Of course, in Amsterdam, you can sit by the canal, see the canal on a sightseeing boat, or having coffee by the canal. - Check the travel advisories if you want to go on a holiday in the Netherlands. Book festivals, music festivals, art festivals, theatre festivals, beach festivals, firework festivals, cheese festivals and of course food festivals. It doesn’t matter what you’re into, you will always find a festival that matches your needs. You don’t even need a lot of time to visit some pretty villages, some are only a 15-minute bus ride away from the bustling Dutch capital. In my article Day trip from Amsterdam: Muiden you can read all about Muiden and how to get there from Amsterdam. It’s been nice to read all of your individual posts about these locations, but it’s nice to see them all in one! I’d love to visit those small Dutch villages, among other things… Thank you for the tour and tips.

Cycling and walking are always perfect outdoor activities in the Netherlands in summer. Great article with lots of stuff I’d love to try next time I’m in the country. The website is managed by the Netherlands Bureau for Tourism and Congresses. Your little boy is going to change your life quite a bit, but it’s going to be for the better. Love all of these things to do in the Netherlands during summer! Take a boat trip to see the magnificent fortress on Pampus island, or stay in Muiden to visit dreamy Muiderslot and its lush gardens. We would like to rent a boat and sail through Holland. As I’ve written in this article, wild boar and deer can be seen in National Park Hoge Veluwe, and also in Achterhoek. Plan your trip by train in The Netherlands using this website. Aside from more gentle outdoor pursuits, like cycling and boat tours, it is also possible to undertake several exhilarating adventure activities in the Netherlands, ranging from bungee jumping to ice-skating. What can I do in the Netherlands this summer?

The summer is my favorite time of year for sure! However, they didn’t always protect us. The boa I can only hope to explore these beautiful beaches someday. It was winter and rainy when I was in Amsterdam! Most people don’t quite think of beaches when they think of The Netherlands, and that’s a pity really, as Dutch beaches are (often) spacious, not too crowded and guarantee entertainment, with beach clubs, bars and water sports facilities, such as windsurfing or kite surfing.

But in my dear old Utrecht, you can get up and close with the canals by renting a kayak for a few hours or the entire day. Join our b . Or both! Thanks for introducing the Netherlands as an awesome summer destination which I would never think it can be! You can even book a cruise to discover the lovely lakes of The Netherlands.

It was definitely fun and an activity I would love to do again. Coming from the south of The Netherlands, I can tell you one thing. If you’re a city person (like me) and enjoy the beach mostly from the shade of an umbrella with a sparkling drink in hand (like me), then the city beaches popping up all over Dutch cities in summer are just for you. Do you have addresses of boat rental companies for us? Congrats on your baby! Gorgeous country! Visit the Netherlands from home (COVID-19). It is a great way to discover the great diversity of natural landscapes along the coast or further inland. weather looks a bit more pleasant for pregnant ladies than my local options. If I’ve convinced you to hop on over, check out how to plan your trip to The Netherlands. Discover the history of these traditional and typically Dutch drinks. But use the good weather as an excuse to explore the country a little further and visit SOiA in Utrecht or DOT in Groningen. Castle de Haar. Or read my article The best beach houses in The Netherlands for the loveliest places to stay. Amsterdam is best explored by water and this affordable boat cruise gives you unobstructed views of canal-side attractions like the Anne Frank House and Hermitage Museum. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Not staying near the sea?

First of all, congrats on your wee globetrotter!! There seems to be a lot to do in the Netherlands – the seals, beaches, and islands sound like great things to do this time of year. Enjoy! I’ve visited the country a couple times in my life — though only once in summer.