This product uses the TMDb API but is not endorsed or certified by TMDb. While world cinema was being strangled…, Canadian critic Richard Crouse's two books The 100 Best Movies You've Never Seen (2003) and Son of the 100 Best…. The film is a fairly basic romantic-comedy plot, one where the clueless man only becomes aware of his true feelings in the final reel and with just enough time to get the devoted “truer” gal. CYCLONE!

Enter your name. Mobile site. Carmelita Fuentes is a fiery-Latin singer/dancer in Mexico City who has designs on Dennis Lindsay, an American publicity agent, for unclear reasons, while Lindsay's shiftless uncle Matthew Lindsay aids and abets her every step of the way to the marriage altar. The Girl from Mexico (1939) "CARAMBA! Please click the link below to receive your verification email.

Juarez was originally designed to concentrate almost exclusively on the tragedy of Hapsburg Emperor Maximillian, whose attempts to establish a puppet government in Mexico … esp if that grrl is the mexican spitfire. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google privacy policy and terms of service apply. ", "Everyone ends up in the same damned place. ... Share. Enter the recipient's name. It is the only genre which really took off with the birth of sound,…, Beth Winchester 1,461 films 111 3 Edit, Every film mentioned on Karina Longworth's Old Hollywood podcast "You Must Remember This." So mad! Report a problem × Share something about The Girl From Mexico. Carmelita Fuentes is a fiery-Latin singer/dancer in Mexico City who has designs on Dennis Lindsay, an American publicity agent, for unclear reasons, while Lindsay's shiftless uncle Matthew Lindsay aids and abets her every step of the way to the marriage altar. She’s, well, a spitfire in the most endearing way possible. We won’t be able to verify your ticket today, but it’s great to know for the future. The Girl from Mexico (1939) is a fairly middle of the road comedy with Velez being the one making the material come to life, plus this was a rare case where Leon Errol didn't murder a comedy. 1939 Report this film. Directed by Leslie Goodwins. Most of the white American men treat her like a souvenir and the white American women treat her like a foreign hussy threat but at least the women are framed as pretty racist by the movie itself?

Also interracial marriage in a 30s movie is pretty rare. You need to be logged in to continue. Really worth seeing only for Lupe Vélez’s electric performance as Carmelita. Find trailers, reviews, synopsis, awards and cast information for Girl From Mexico (1939) - Leslie Goodwins on AllMovie - The titular girl is Lupe Velez, a tempestuous… She should have been more careful with her own son, Gerogie, but that's the beauty of hindsight. This movie went from being a clip in class to watching the whole film. THE GIRL FROM MEXICO. Classic, influential, historically significant, or popular films of both Mexican and Mexican-American cinema. Latest Trailers Still I had fun with it, even with the periphery characters (Woods' cuckolding wife is so perfectly petty) with only Woods acting as deadwood dragging the picture down.

So mad! The racism in this is spotty and pretty crude. the girl from mexico (1939 full movie) by October 14, 2020. Movie title from the film 'The Girl from Mexico' (1939), directed by Leslie Goodwins, starring Lupe Velez, Donald Woods and Leon Errol The raspy-voiced Velez is not my cup of tea, and a little of her (and her primary comic partner Leon Errol as Woods' whimsical uncle) goes a long way. Although not intended to be the first in a series, this movie turned out to be such a big hit that RKO decided to make seven more “Mexican Spitfire” movies. If you could only understand in English what I think of you in Spanish! And it most likely is.

In the first installment, Velez is discovered by New York ad man Dennis (Donald Woods), who brings her to the big city with a nice contract. Carmelita Fuentes is a fiery-Latin singer/dancer in Mexico City who has designs on Dennis Lindsay, an American publicity agent, for unclear reasons, while Lindsay's shiftless uncle Matthew Lindsay aids and abets her every step of the way to the marriage altar. Excellent movie however sad but with very uplifting and thought provoking issues in the USA and Mexico.. Ashley truly was a good mother and you can see this with how dedicated she is to Rosa. Setting off a series of films starring hot tempered latina Lupe Velez which would last until 1943. As she fares, so fares the film. But again, Lupe Vélez brings something extra to that role and make it unique and more exciting than what’s on the page. But then the movie snaps back to our poor clueless killjoy lead to focus building their sparkless rapport to the requisite romcom ending. We use cookies to help give you a better experience on TMDb. Made by fans in Auckland, New Zealand. I'm not making any snap judgements on Lupe Velez's acting abilities, it takes true talent to make a character as obnoxious and off-putting as Carmelita. Login to create it. Before she was the Mexican Spitfire, Lupe Valez was The Girl From Mexico, a singer discovered on a trip south of the border by ad man Dennis Lindsay (Donald Woods) who was in search of new talent for one of his clients. The Girl from Mexico (1939) Ver The Girl from Mexico (1939) Online espanol mexico, jealousy, fight, nightclub, wrestling, uncle, deception, b movie, deceit, duplicity Musicals are my favourite film genre. Can't find a movie or TV show? More details at Velez's performance was so stellar and well-received that RKO built a series around the film called Mexican Spitfire , which included eight films. Her hot-tempered performance as Carmelita is definitely big and at times intentionally grating, but it's to her credit that…, After she was discovered as a replacement for Dolores del Rio in 1927’s The Gaucho, Lupe Velez had success in transitioning to sound pictures but the studios didn’t quite know what to do with her. Unable to restrain the…. This movie gets off to an auspicious start where the dullest fuddy duddy romantic lead is paired with the OG feisty harpy Latina stereotype. The year is 1939, so we can perhaps accept that her character comes from a less technologically-inclined village in Mexico, but some of the trouble she gets up to makes her seem more than a little dumb. Fortunately, for the most part, she fares very well.

Listed in order of first episode it's…, All the movies mentioned in the book of the same name. She’s incredibly charming and the movie has her in all these knock-me-down-I-pop-back-up manic situations (sort of reminiscent of I Love Lucy). Movie Listings; The Girl From Mexico 1939 Comedy. TMDb The Girl from Mexico (1939) is a fairly middle of the road comedy with Velez being the one making the material come to life, plus this was a rare case where Leon Errol didn't murder a … And Lupe is my kind of girl! He might not be the one married to her but the real double act is between Valez and Errol. © Letterboxd Limited. While the main character is a bit of stereotype it's nice to see a 30 movie where the main character clearly does not give a fuck, and performance by Lupe Velez is pretty entertaining, she's got good comedic timing and is so far the only person to make me really laugh at a 30s comedy. Good she got a series of movies to take advantage of her talents at the end of her career. Dr. Hugh Manon's Uberqueue: Two-Thousand films you might want to check out sometime... TCM/Leonard Maltin's Classic Movie Guide (Third Edition): Good Movies (2 1/2 rating out of 4 stars)--Part I, Richard Crouse's 200 Best Films You've Never Seen. If we're supposed to laugh at the fiery (i.e. Having seen this one is enough--I don't need to see any others in the series. I’ve read plenty about Lupe Vélez but this is the first time I’ve actually seen her in a movie. The titular girl is Lupe Velez, a tempestuous cabaret entertainer. Click here to login or here to sign up. This was a lot more fun than I expected it to be. She's a "firecracker" and a "pepper pot" (though I don't think anyone used the word "spitfire" in this movie) and he's a buttoned-up executive who's engaged to a nasty little socialite, so of course, a romance springs up between them. Zippy little comedy which Lupe Velez drives with the force of her personality and terrific chemistry with a sly Leon Errol as the secretly trouble making Uncle. Over the course of just 4 years they made 7 sequels starring Valez as Carmelita Fuentes, with three different actors playing Dennis, but with Leon Errol ever present as Dennis' Uncle Matthew. We can tell that this character was and continues to be a hit for Mexican…. They have actual comedic chemistry between each, and I would've watched an entire movie about these two weirdos going to town, it's just pure delight. Close Send Message. And Lupe is my kind of girl! lupe velez, I created this list of Letterboxd movie Collections to make it easier to find related movies. Lupe Vélez Donald Woods Leon Errol Donald MacBride Ward Bond Elisabeth Risdon Linda Hayes Edward Raquello Ernie Alexander Tom Coleman Carlos De Valdez Byron Foulger Jack Gargan Martín Garralaga Tom Hanlon Sam Harris Harry Harvey John Indrisano Kenner G. Kemp Donald Kerr Vivien Oakland Dale van Sickel Lucio Villegas Max Wagner William Worthington Frank Yaconelli, 71 mins   When the Emperor of China issues a decree that one man per family must serve in the... "Miss World 1970: The launch of a revolution", "If it chooses you, nothing can save you.

A slight romantic comedy with a little Latin seasoning, I can see how some of it could be seen as offensive today, although I don't think that's due to any bad intentions on the part of its creators. The "Collection Name" is…. The story of an ad man who brings a passionate Mexican performer to New York with the promise of a radio gig, only to fall in love with her, its fortune is firmly hitched to its star, Lupe Velez. However something magical happens when she splits off from Donald Woods and goes on a series of hijinks with "Uncle" (Leon Errol).