A chorus of shaggy-haired young men pressed the nation to “turn, turn, turn” and accept that change is inevitable, history is a cycle, strife is temporary, and to everything there is a season. It is not an angry God that needs to be appeased or reconciled to human beings, Ballou argued, but human beings who must be reconciled to God—a God who saves all regardless of their errors. And I wasn’t exactly sure where I was and if I had missed a turn. I observe the Jewish High Holy Days—first the Birthday of the World on Rosh Hashanah, then the 10 Days of Awe, and finally Yom Kippur; the Day of Atonement—which is as natural to me as observing and celebrating Christmas and Easter in this liberal and living faith tradition. And I felt terrible, a huge sense of remorse for what I had caused, what I had done. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. It’s super easy, we promise! You see, I am a Jewish Unitarian Universalist by birth and by choice. Turn! They filed a claim and said that the baby had some injuries where the seat belt had dug in, and the mother had neck pains. Turning back, we look to see how we have done, for what we are accountable. As it has always been, think about it, "a time to plant, a time to reap; a time to laugh, a time to reap (as it has been since the beginning of time.) So since I could not, did not, approach those I injured directly, the process of atonement, of turning, was much, much harder.

creates global spiritual community, rooted in profound love, which cultivates wonder, imagination, and the courage to act. Highlight lyrics and request an explanation.

In the process of teshuvah, of turning around, the second stage is restitution, making amends. I remember suddenly thinking I was not going the right way. I remember what I thought was a four-way stop sign, and then starting out into the intersection and seeing a car coming on my right, and not being able to brake in time. It occurs to me that in this familiar and powerful list of meaningful activities of our lives—year in and year out, over the centuries—there is at least one significant “time-for” that is missing. I could comment more about it but will keep this short and allow the reader to think of all that is included within the confines of these Biblical verses of truth. Non-lyrical content copyright 1999-2020 SongMeanings, Javascript must be enabled for the correct page display, Turn! It says nothing about specific future events in our age. Rev. As it has... Before you get started, be sure to check out these explanations created But I try. The words are from Eccleiastes 3:1-9. ", or "Turn! Ballou believed that we need to just accept that human beings are sinful and that God loves them anyway. Ballou was convinced that once people realized this, they would take pleasure in living a moral life and doing good works. (To Everything There Is a Season)", is a song written by Pete Seeger in the late 1950s and first recorded in 1959. If there had been anyone in my front passenger seat, he or she would have been killed. For me, it was for the sins of distraction and carelessness and being more interested in savoring personal success than driving cautiously, attentively, and safely. For others of us, for me, the rabbi invites us to move away from a noun and find other ways of describing God. Does it mean anything special hidden A time for woe! It was a lovely Indian summer day. To everything (turn, turn, turn) There is a season (turn, turn, turn) And a …