Been following a lot of your recipes and every time comes out perfect! These clumps of powdered sugar will not get integrated properly into the frosting and may end up getting stuck in your piping tip. My next attempt is going to be macarons. Hi! (I add 1/8 teaspoon salt.). French, Swiss, or Italian meringue frostings.

The frosting will cover two 8″ round cakes. It’s our little secret.

Added a scant 1/2 t. salt to combat the sweetness and it was just enough to take it over the edge. (It’s in that gingerbread house blog post.). 1. Thank you, Hi Raine, I’m so happy you found the site and enjoyed this frosting! I am also concerned on if the buttercream is overly sweet because I tried out another recipe and it turned out too sweet and had a buttery aftertaste. A staple in any baker’s kitchen, vanilla buttercream is deliciously soft, creamy, and sweet. Each creates a completely different look, so that’s why it’s a great collection if you’re just starting out. (We usually shop at Wegmans.) Want to see how to decorate cupcakes? I thought this was great! I’ve been making this buttercream for over ten years. For rosettes either tip will work for different textures. It’s the perfect vanilla frosting that’s simple, creamy and smooth and tastes unbelievable on vanilla cupcakes! Their difference is in the percentage of milk fat. This recipe will maintain it’s shape when piped but it won’t crust unless spread in a very thin layer. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. I had to add more confectioners sugar because the frosting was so wet & even then it wasn't too sweet. Beat till blended. We usually use our grocery store’s store brand butter. You didn’t. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. There isn’t anything called just “heavy cream”? Buttercream ingredients hardly differ between recipes, but the ratio of ingredients does vary. I have always found buttercream to be too sweet but I need this to decorate. I would like to make a French buttercream but cannot find a recipe of yours. The BEST vanilla buttercream icing, if I do say so myself, that I have ever made (and I’ve made a lot of buttercreams in my 60 year life!) With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes.

I used salted butter and it was still extremely delicious. I have been reading on some other recipes that use shortening as well. Grab a cookie, take a seat, and have fun exploring! Here’s how to make it: Buttercream ingredients hardly differ between recipes, but the ratio of ingredients does vary. While there are many frosting recipes that you can mix by hand, the best buttercream frostings require lots of air to be incorporated into the butter. Tip: You will need to stop and scrape down the side of the bowl every minute or so while you are mixing as butter will stick to the edges of the bowl. Thanks, Sally! Mix in powdered sugar a little bit at a time. Thank you SO MUCH Sally for being so detailed in the ingredients list and especially in the instructions!!! Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction. After freezing, thaw in the refrigerator then beat the frosting on medium speed for a few seconds so it’s creamy again. I’m planning to make the dinosaur cake and was wondering if I should use this buttercream or a crusting one?

I haven’t made cakes for a long time, nor icings, so I thank you so much for “reintroducing” me to a recipe I’ll use again and again, Sally. It’s light, airy, and has an intense vanilla flavor. Add a few drops of gel food coloring to this frosting to obtain the colors you need. It’s like the extract, but with seeds from vanilla pods mixed in. Family cookbooks are an important way to preserve our mealtime traditions for future generations with individual printed recipes or your own professionally printed cookbook. You saved Vanilla Buttercream Frosting to your. Hi Lindsay, Yes we pipe with this frosting all the time! I’ve used it for frozen transfers before! Advice..slowly add milk and flower mixture to get desired consistency. I always have this problem, 3 days thats a lot! 3. I was just thinking this. Tripling the frosting should be plenty for 36 cupcakes. I had to add more powderd sugar at the end. Watch Buttercream Frosting Video Recipe: This classic buttercream frosting is one of the easiest and most stable frostings you will make. Also, Can I pipe trees with this frosting onto fondant? For more help you can see this post on piping tips and this one on easy frosting roses. Add 4 and 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, the heavy cream, and vanilla extract.

I love this website as well and I’m making lemon cupcakes and this vanilla buttercream frosting to go on them! Hi Prathyusha, this frosting should be ok for your cake. Info. Hi, do we need to sift the confectioners sugar? I always feel guilty taking all the praise I get from the stuff I bake, as all I do most of the time is follow your recipes; the real praise belongs to u. Buttercream Ingredients.

I’ve used this vanilla buttercream more times than I can even fathom, but I love it most paired with chocolate cupcakes or vanilla cupcakes. Hello, can I half this buttercream recipe? Grab a wooden or metal spoon and begin stirring the buttercream by hand. I did not care for this recipe. Do you have tips for a buttercream that tastes too much like butter? For more intricate designs like piped roses you may want to add more sugar for a stiffer frosting.

Thank you! If I’m making 36 vanilla cupcakes and 36 of your carrot cupcakes, should I triple their frosting recipes that say 12-16 cupcakes, if I’m piping the frosting as well as creating buttercream flowers? Only tip I can possibly give is whisk the milk and flour vigorously so it doesn't get lumpy and don't over cook it. Tip:

The word “creamy” doesn’t even do this stuff justice. However, if you find that your frosting is clumping or grainy in texture, try sifting. Add the powdered sugar a little bit at a time and always start the mixer on low speed. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. It’s very sweet so I like to add 3.5-4 cups… overall, amazing! Your email address will not be published. Even set a timer for 2 minutes exactly while I beat it for 2 minutes. The easiest way to achieve the perfect cupcake swirl is to use a 1M tip. have been a huge hit with my family. add more until it reaches your preferred consistency. I baked a cake for my family.

cream instead of your quarter cup, and added 1 t. of almond along w. the vanilla to go w the slivered almonds I sprinkled on top. If you start on high speed, the sugar will end up flying all over your kitchen! I look forward to making more of your recipes! Hi! Hi, so I have made a bunch of cakes what is the trick to keep the icing firm and for it to not get to hard. But even though it’s supremely creamy, this vanilla buttercream holds its shape beautifully. For a thicker icing, you may not need the entire milk mixture. I would highly suggest that you try them when you have more time on your hands. I hope they help! Congrats! This is my favorite vanilla buttercream. Join my mailing list - and receive a free eBook! Please try again. I’m here to tell you that this careful buttercream formula works EVERY time– my recipe is perfection. There was an error submitting your subscription. Do not use imitation vanilla extract in this recipe! Thanks, Stephanie! It’s perfect for piping even the most complicated and intricate designs. Yes!

Oh, and I shredded the recipe I had been using for 45 years, just like zucchini!!! Thank you. Awesome recipe!!! Hi Wendi, definitely! Over-whipping vanilla buttercream creates air bubbles. I’m semi-retired and finally have a chance to do what I love.