Seriously, I didn’t even know my mom used pineapple until she sent me the recipe! Then top the whole pie off with fresh whipped cream and even more fresh bananas.

Al Franken: Good luck, President-elect Biden. Prepare two 9-inch round cake pans with butter and flour. Except, now that I’m vegan (and live 1,000 miles away) I can’t enjoy it. « Avocado Deviled Eggs with Bacon, Tomato, and Chives. The original recipe calls for a can of shredded coconut. I will be posting that story here as well.). It’s fantasy but so is the fact that you’ll be on that beach anytime soon. This cake does well with gluten-free flour. Oat milk mixed with some acid is a simple substitute for buttermilk — the acidity of buttermilk reacts with the baking soda in the batter to help it rise and brown well on the outside — but any acid will do the trick. I have a 20 oz can of crushed pineapple. Seriously, this cake is famous. Unfortunately, the looks of my baked goods, with a rare exception, are always marginal at best. My best recommendation is to bake this version in a 9×13 cake pan and leave it in the pan to serve. Close your eyes and picture yourself on a beach in the Caribbean, looking amazing because you’ve been eating this super-very-totally-healthy dessert. Easy to make, moist, sweet and spicy with a zingy lemon glaze; this loaf cake is perfect for snacking on.

Copyright © 2020 Karissa's Vegan Kitchen on the Seasoned Pro Theme. Or, if you are using cake rounds, make sure to line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper to provide some support when removing from the pans. Now mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just incorporated. Below are my best recommendations. Don't forget the cream cheese frosting. Though I made a 3-layer cake for the photos and video of this recipe, a 2-layer cake is going to be more sturdy. This delicious chocolate mocha cake is perfect for the first-time baker. I go with a ratio of 2 parts all-purpose flour to 1 part whole wheat flour, but you can get away with using equal parts though the texture of the finished cake will be a tad drier and the crumb more crumbly. This post may contain affiliate links. Stir in vanilla extract and salt, then let the mixture cool to room temperature before chilling it in the fridge to thicken further. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Foodology Geek uses affiliate sales links. A series of simple tutorials for making some basic recipes at home. Recipe The best egg replacement for this vegan carrot cake recipe is a powdered egg replacer. Mix the wet ingredients into the large bowl with the dry ingredients until just incorporated. I don't mind this at all for carrot cake. I tested it out, and I promise you will not miss the gluten. And with so many carrots leftover in my produce box that I can’t seem to finish, right now has been a particularly opportune time to experiment with carrot cake formulations. So much banana flavor. But if you want to go the extra mile — maybe for a special-occasion dessert, or because you’re one of those people that doesn’t consider cake cake without the frosting — make my vegan version of “whipped cream” frosting. Add the sugar, the oil, and the eggs. Bake until done. I leaned into the crunchy-hippie aspects of the vegetable-strewn batter — often packed with dried fruits and nuts — and made my version fully vegan since, aside from the eggs and buttermilk that I like to use, the classic recipe already is. I ran out of walnuts so I ended up dressing the top of the cake with pecans instead. Irish whiskey makers take their shot at a bold makeover. I hope you were able to make this cake and that it came out great. C'est la vie. Cream Cheese Frosting Food should fill your soul with joy and your body with nourishment! Add in vanilla and blend until it is incorporated. She gets requests from coworkers to make this…and gets paid for it. As you might be able to guess, a typical applesauce or flaxseed “egg” substitution is not able to scientifically take on all the roles that real eggs do in a cake. The cake is super moist. Please leave a comment and a star review below. If you want a less sweet cake, go with ¾ cup; for a crowd-pleaser, go with a full cup. ), For a stacked cake, I frost it right before serving because the cake will tend to slide around (thanks, gravity.).

This cake is a bit like strawberry shortcake. When I’m making cakes in “real life” for birthdays and such (especially with cream cheese frosting) I stick to a 2-layer cake.

I find lemon or lime juice work best. Start by whisking together sugar and all-purpose flour in a small saucepan (the sugar breaks up the flour so it doesn’t clump), then pour in milk. I have included notes on how to make this cake vegan as well. In the second bowl, whisk together the egg replacer (more on that later) and water, oil, vanilla, crushed pineapple, and finely shredded carrots. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. I have since looked it up with our friend Google and you can order it, of course. The recipe was given to me by a long time family friend, Denise. Stay safe, drink safe. In my tests, using the powdered egg replacer resulted in a sturdier cake that had more lift and structure. One cup of the crushed pineapple will work. This is THE cake that she had made for ALL the grandkids and ALL the great-grandkids for birthdays over the years. You barely even notice it’s there until it’s not, then you miss it. Denise is gluten intolerant, so she has been making this recipe gluten-free for many years. Let the cake cool completely before frosting. In the second bowl, whisk together the egg replacer (more on that later) and water, oil, vanilla, crushed pineapple, and finely shredded carrots. Pour the cake batter evenly into prepared baking pans. The chunky walnuts, pineapple, and coconut add a great texture to this cake. From Duff Goldman’s Charm City Cakes recipe to the version served at the Madonna Inn, here are eight of our favorite carrot cake recipes. I love to hear from you! You can mix all the wet ingredients with a wooden spoon.

Add in the carrots, pineapple, nuts, and the coconut. Please visit my Affiliate Link Policy for full details. Yes! Sift together the first five dry ingredients. You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times. I have never ever seen this before. If you imbibe, drink local.

Tip - make sure you stir in the ingredients by hand as suggested. Go ahead, call her a spoiled celeb kid. Carrot Cake with Pineapple (Gluten-Free ), Banana Cream Pie with Whipped Cream and Fresh Bananas.

Fold in walnuts (totally optional, though.). (If you are wondering, we were able to finally find the infamous chiffon cake recipe. ), The biggest task I had when recreating my mom’s carrot cake was replacing the eggs – it is actually the only non-vegan ingredient she uses (aside from the dairy in the frosting.).