You can also observe this small difference in performance in the CAGR of each fund: VTIAX comes out slightly ahead at 4.28% compared to VXUS at 4.15%. Hardly worth losing any sleep over! I am new to this and would like further advice to solidify my understanding. Do you want to? I've just switched over.

The “smaller” companies that VTIAX invests in are growing barely faster than VFWAX. VTIAX racks up a similar number at assets under management of more than $21B and the same number of holdings worldwide as VXUS. Below is the comparison between VTIAX and VTWAX. Good luck.

Think about how COVID suddenly shifted VTSAX towards tech. VXUS is an exchange-traded fund (ETF), while VTIAX is a mutual fund. VTIAX also has a higher expense-ratio at 0.11% compared to VXUS 0.08%. Reading Simple Path to Wealth now. In this section, we’ll take a look at the annual returns for VXUS and VTIAX and then perform a back-text of $10,000 if invested at the initialization of each fund.

Included are stocks from international stock markets in Europe, North America – namely Canada and Mexico – as well as the Asia-Pacific region.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'mrmarvinallen_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_1',107,'0','0']));eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'mrmarvinallen_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_2',107,'0','1'])); The Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTIAX) does not track any index since it is structured as a mutual fund.

Currently have about 5k invested in VTSAX, but I am interested in switching over completely to the newly minted VTWAX. I still debating forgoing it completely.

I do not have the option of traditional 401k in my line of work, so index funds is likely my best bet. Why are you summing the expense ratios? Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. VTIAX and VFWAX have the same expense ratio (0.11%).

Below is the comparison between VTWAX and VTIAX. Isn't the whole point of adding international to minimize risk not maximize gains?

You own the entire market. I have purchased 'A Random Walk Down Wallstreet', 'Simple Path to Wealth - JL Collins' and 'Common Sense Investing - Bogle' to assist in my understanding of this endeavor. (Read: Why Vanguard Is Bad).eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'mrmarvinallen_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_9',108,'0','0'])); At $17.5B of net assets VXUS is one of the biggest internationally exposed ETFs on the market. While VXUS can be traded throughout the day, there is no intra-day trading with VTIAX. Try not to overthink it, although I know that's easier said than done.

Is this difference enough of a reason to not start using VTWAX?

This is more or less closely followed by Industrials, Healthcare and Consumer Cyclical industries.

Both VTIAX and VTWAX are mutual funds. Thanks for this advice. VXUS has an expense ratio of just 0.08% which is extremely low for any international fund. As long as I have my asset allocation where I want it between domestic stocks, international stocks, and the bond market, I'll keep throwing what I can to those three and let it be. Currently I'm 100% VTSAX. However, with a mutual fund like VTIAX you will have the option to auto-invest in fractional shares. The main thing is to add regularly, especially while you are young.

You may also want to check out the following VTIAX comparisons that investors often look for on Finny. It gives me all the diversity I can get, the fees are a little bit more but the difference is minimal, and it allocates for you. International Equity: Foreign Large Blend, International Equity: Foreign Large Growth, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd.

That’s a difference of $136 over 8 years. What is the Minimum Investment for Cardone Capital? 27 years old, USA, 50k income/year. However I'd say that you have you have to calculate the ER not by adding but by calculating the weight of the ER across the portfolio. VTIAX – Total International Stock Index Admiral Shares; VEMAX – Emerging Markets Stock Index Admiral Shares; If you’re interested in getting into the weeds, you can get a full list of Vanguard funds here. The difference, however, is minute: 4.08% for VXUS vs. 4.06% for VTIAX. Their, brokerage service, on the other hand, could use some improvement.

It was a great read and helped me a lot.

The Fund employs an indexing investment approach designed to track the performance of the FTSE Global All Cap ex US Index. Both funds are equally exposed to Emerging Markets at 23.50%, European markets at 39.80% and the Asia-Pacific region at 28.90%. With the differences in structure and built come some other implication for you as a retail investor which we will take a look at here!eval(ez_write_tag([[468,60],'mrmarvinallen_com-box-3','ezslot_6',106,'0','0'])); In this post I’ll explore some of the differences between VXUS and VTIAX in detail. This means for every $10,000 in your portfolio you would be paying roughly $11 in fees for VTIAX and $8 in fees for VXUS. Since both funds are rather young, we, unfortunately, don’t have that much historical data available. However, buying 100% of VTWAX would eliminate the need for me to re-balance domestic vs international in the future.

My understanding is that VTWAX automatically adjusts percentages of Domestic vs International based on current market weights of each. VTWAX would have a slightly higher expense ratio then the VTSAX/VTIAX combo but not by much.

Small-cap companies make up an almost negligible part of less than 7% of assets. The difference in structure is not necessarily of crucial importance to private investors like us. I think all roads lead to Rome.

You're right that VTSAX has a good mix of international exposure built into that.

Similarly mindless, low fees, may require rebalancing once a year which I don’t mind doing.

When assessing the difference and benefits/downsides of any fund, the prudent investor may want to look at the monthly and annual volatility and maximum drawdowns the fund has experienced in its lifetime.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'mrmarvinallen_com-leader-1','ezslot_7',112,'0','0'])); Even though both funds are essentially made up of the same stocks, we see that VXUS seems to be more volatile than VTIAX. However, it is my understanding that the sum of VTSAX and VTIAX expense ratios (.15) is slightly higher than the VTWAX (.11), though the amount invested in international stocks is much higher than is generally recommended within VTWAX. Pick the right broker and you can have the best of both worlds! International Equity: Foreign Large Blend, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd.

Press J to jump to the feed. Go live your life and check it maybe a few times a year.

VTWAX has a lower expense ratio than VTIAX (0.1% vs 0.11%).

The Fund seeks to track the performance of a benchmark index that measures the investment return of stocks issued by companies located in developed and emerging markets, excluding the United States. The latter is simply settled each day. Further down the line, we’ll analyze some risk metrics like volatility and drawdowns. Say your portfolio was $10,000. On top of that, Vanguard just recently decreased their fee from 0.09% to 0.08%. The Fund seeks to track the performance of a benchmark index that measures the investment return of stocks of companies located in developed and emerging markets outside of the …

Start a free trial.

The main difference is the way the funds are structured.

WAX it up. Cookies help us deliver our Services.

Vanguard says do market cap, while Jack Bogle and others say you don't need any and don't go higher than 20 percent.

Are you going to be able to be rebalance fast enough?