Don’t delete files. Keep in mind that while you can connect the drive to a USB 2.0 port, that will slow data transfer to USB 2.0 speeds. You won't be surprised to see the results were once again extremely close. Small and light. Its performance is on par with the competition; the built-in hardware encryption and bundled utilities enhance its usability; and it doesn't hurt that it looks good, too. "People want more storage in a smaller package and designs that complement their personal styles and the latest devices.

The My Passport is ready to go out of the box. At IFA 2019, Western Digital Corp. (NASDAQ: WDC) introduced the refreshed WD®-brand My Passport™ and My Passport for Mac drives. © 2019 Western Digital Corporation or its affiliates. Our goal is to offer best-in-class solutions that keep users' digital lives backed up and preserved so they can enjoy their precious memories for years to come.". 'Our time is far from over': Without Donald Trump, what happens to global populism? Connect with friends faster than ever with the new Facebook app.

Crystal DiskMark, a test of sequential read and write speeds for straight-line transfers of contiguous data, represents a best-case scenario for platter drives. **Social Media and Cloud services may be changed, terminated or interrupted at any time and may vary by country. +1-408-717-7607 For our own folder transfer test, we use a MacBook Pro laptop. Please try again later. It’s also available in 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB capacities, with the 1TB and 2TB versions being thinner at 0.44 inches and weighing only 0.27 pounds. Drives, {{productPriceObj[bogoItems.productId].prices.list.amountFormatted}}, {{productPriceObj[bogoItems.productId].prices.sale.amountFormatted}}, Your Cart ({{totalItems}} {{totalItems == 1 ? Again, the difference is more or less too small to notice. / {{inventory.prices.sale.billingPlanName}}, {{inventory.prices.sale.amountFormatted}} Adam is the chief news editor for StorageReview.com, managing our internal and freelance content teams.

M. David Stone is an award-winning freelance writer and computer industry consultant. We know your data is important to you. It would also make for a solid Time Machine drive if you’re a macOS user. Much of David's writing has been for PC Magazine and PCMag.com. Results are in megabytes per second (MBps). Oops! Lacdo Hard Drive Carrying Case for Western Digital WD My Passport Ultra WD Elements SE WD Gaming Portable External Hard Drive 1TB 2TB 3TB 4TB 5TB USB 3.0 2.5 Inch HDD EVA Shockproof Travel Bag, Black. At G-Technology® we design some of the highest-performing and most reliable leading-edge storage solutions for end-to-end creative workflows. The new My Passport is redesigned with a slimmer build and higher capacity, up to 5TB. Subscribe to the StorageReview newsletter to stay up to date on the latest news and reviews. Platter drive technology is mature enough that there is little difference in performance, reliability, or even price from one vendor to the next for 2.5-inch, 5,400rpm hard drives like the one inside the My Passport case. +1-303-834-3211 The WD BLACK SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD packs a powerful punch, delivering read speeds up to 3,470MB/s* to intensify your gaming experience. Reformatting the drive will remove the password and let you use the drive again, but doing that will also erase all your data. We compared the current My Passport with the previous version we reviewed. +65-6840-9326 If it’s speed you’re after versus space, check out my post on how to choose the right portable SSD for your needs. In addition to the 5TB version I tested, WD offers three other capacities for the Windows version of the drive, with list prices of $59.99 for 1TB, $79.99 for 2TB, and $119.99 for 4TB. If all you need is 1TB or 2TB of storage, it can go toe to toe with the Seagate Backup Plus Ultra Touch, the winner being the one that's selling for less on any given day. That equals a cost per gigabyte of 6 cents for the 1TB drive, 4 cents for the 2TB model, 2.8 cents for the 4TB unit, and 3 cents for 5TB. (Frankly, with little significant difference between first and last place in many of the tests, a win doesn't mean much.). The stylish design fits in the palm of a hand, yet has space to store, organize and share a tremendous amount of photos, videos, music and documents.

According to the company, this would make the My Passport the slimmest portable 5TB Hard Drive in its portfolio. And if you need more capacity, the My Passport can get you as many terabytes as today's tech allows in a portable, making it an Editors' Choice for high-capacity portable hard drives. Formatted NTFS for Windows® 10, Windows 8.1. [email protected]

The WD SN750 NVMe hard drive offers first-class performance for games. His books include The Underground Guide to Color Printers (Addison-Wesley) Troubleshooting Your PC, (Microsoft Press), and Faster, Smarter Digital Photography (Microsoft Press). Today Western Digital released the latest version of its popular My Passport portable HDD device.

Forward-Looking Statements Subscribing to a newsletter indicates your consent to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. Ships with apps for backup/restore, reformatting and checking drive health, and more. Fast transfer rates Your form has been submitted successfully! When your internal hard drive is almost full your PC slows down. On the side of the device is the mini-USB port. Enter your account email address to receive an email with password reset instructions. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. The new My Passport is redesigned with a slimmer build and higher capacity, up to 5TB. That often leaves features like built-in data encryption (or the lack of it) and bundled software as the best reasons to pick one brand over another. If you forget the password, there's no way to recover it, and you can't change it without knowing the current password. His work has also appeared in a number of other print and online magazines and newspapers, including Wired; Computer Shopper, eWeek, and Science Digest, where he was Computers Editor. Every day, millions of people count on the performance, quality, and reliability of SanDisk®-branded products. … WD Security for Mac. AES-256 hardware encryption with password. Final Shipping and Taxes calculated at checkout, By submitting your email, you acknowledge Western Digital's, This form is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google, {{relatedProducts[sessionRelatedproduct.code].pageTitle}}, {{relatedProducts[sessionRelatedproduct.code].minPricedSKU.amountFormatted}}. One notable plus is that WD Discovery lets you download Paragon drivers at no charge, which will let you use an NTFS-formatted drive with a Mac or one formatted with HFS+ in Windows. $8.99 WD 2TB My Passport Portable External Hard Drive, Black - WDBYVG0020BBK-WESN. Came in a bubble wrap bag and manufacturer packaging. By clicking the "Notify me When Available" button below, I consent to the use of the information provided below by Western Digital, to notify me when this item is back in stock. Portable You might find some excellent deals on more niche tech, like a specific laptop or even an appliance you’ve been looking for on sale. Normally $200, it’s $160. To get started, choose the Western Digital brand you’d like help with: {{variantCategoryOption.variantCategoryLabel}}, {{inventory.prices.list.amountFormatted}}, {{inventory.prices.sale.amountFormatted}}, {{customPromotionInfo.ctaLabel}} Western Digital creates environments for data to thrive. Pick up the drive, and it feels like a solid, well-built product. WD Discovery can download data from cloud storage and social media accounts. All of the new drives are built with Western Digital reliability and come with a three-year limited warranty. $69.99 Amazon Smart Plug, works with … WD Elements™ portable hard drives with USB 3.0 offer reliable, high-capacity storage to go, fast data transfer rates, universal connectivity and massive capacity for value-conscious consumers.

This T7 model includes a USB-C to USB-C cable for the fastest transfer speeds, as well as a USB-C to USB-A cable for broader compatibility with most PCs and gaming consoles. David is also an expert in imaging technologies (including printers, monitors, large-screen displays, projectors, scanners, and digital cameras), storage (both magnetic and optical), and word processing. Shop WD easystore 5TB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive Black at Best Buy.

The 5TB My Passport turned in the performance you'd expect from a 5,400rpm drive from a reputable manufacturer, coming in tied for first or a close second in several of the PC Labs benchmarks below. All capacities carry a three-year warranty.

$160 after taxes. The My Passport at least arguably earns WD's description of it as "stylish." / {{inventory.prices.sale.billingPlanName}}. Both the Windows and Mac versions of the drive come with assorted utilities for their respective operating systems, but if you reformat your drive, you can download the utilities for the right OS from the WD website. WD Backup, for Windows only, can back up to Dropbox as well as the My Passport drive. Aside from the seam that joins the top and bottom sections of the case together, the only obvious detail on the smooth sides of the case is a USB 3.2 Gen 1 port on the short side (top edge) near the logo.

Best Buy’s deal of the day is on Western Digital’s Easystore USB 3.0 portable hard drive with a whopping 5TB of storage. PCMag Digital Group. Details & exclusions, By signing in, you agree to Western Digital's Like us on Facebook to see similar stories, Tropical Storm Eta dumps blustery rain on Florida west coast. https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/wd-my-passport-5tb. For performance, The new My Passport not only brought more capacity but better performance in all tests except 2MB random read. You can, of course, reformat either version with the other file system to use the drive with the other OS, or reformat with exFAT if you want to move the drive freely between Windows systems and Macs. Copyright © 1998-2020 Flying Pig Ventures, LLC Cincinnati, Ohio. Product specifications subject to change without notice. He is a recognized expert on printers, well known within the industry, and has been a judge for the Hewlett-Packard HP Invent Awards. So it’s like you’re getting each game for $45 instead of the full $60. Price Match Guarantee. The top of the device is slightly redesigned and has WD branding in the top. [email protected], Cathy Ding Western Digital reserves the right to change or discontinue this offer at any time without notice. For personal storage solutions visit these Western Digital brands. And we saw throughput of 107 IOPS read and 2,229 IOPS write. The My Passport drive is formatted for Windows® 10 and will feature a USB 3.0 connector that is compatible with USB 2.0. At list price, the 5TB version has a higher cost per gigabyte than the 4TB version. Microsoft may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through recommended links in this article.