I've been following and enjoying your blog for 2 or 3 months now and wanted to say thanks for colouring our world happy :-).I linked your blog on my FB page for my followers to see! Here, the light-colored gray stone sets the stage for a fresh gray and white color scheme. Avoid mistakes and get expert colour training! Thank you in advance. I couldn’t agree more about the value of selecting the right windows for a home! *This site IS NOT sponsored by Benjamin Moore. I should add it is a flagstone fireplace with the flagstone stacked vertically on its side. It’s rare that you can totally ignore it and unfortunately this is one of those times when I would NOT recommend painting it (brick you can paint–not stone usually). Beautiful post! They look fantastic and pull the finishes together. Eva. The walls are all an off white color & was wondering what accent color to use on the wall that has the area of stone in the center? So beyond coordinating or matching elements you need to be able to visualize placement and contrast to get it right. Chilliwack, BC, V2R 5C9, Canada, US OFFICE

Anything also natural coloured. White vinyl windows belong with greige, white, grey, navy, fresh colours and black. They look terrible, but now that I’ve been shopping for replacement windows for my own earthy-exterior home, I can see the dilemma. One of the first on-line consultations that I did with one of my lovely readers was a house that had a large two sided stone fireplace right in the middle of it. You're SO right… again.

Get Maria’s expert colour advice with our convenient eDesign colour consultations. When you think about it, to choose finishes for the interior or exterior of your house with no training at all makes no sense. Green beige is your best bet and it’s often just better to go with bronze or black. It's always nice to get one of those great follow-up emails!!! (However, I still don’t understand why more vinyl window companies don’t offer softer whites!).

I have a yellow beige brick house and all the windows and doors are TAUPE. SOFT STONE. I repainted all the white trim in Sherwin Williams Worldly Grey to match the stone and switched out the gutters to bronze. We get LOTS of complements, and are so pleased with the outcome. We have to learn our place when we work with them.Carol, My fireplace is brick and has been painted off-white by the previous owner while the walls are toupe. I considered painting the house instead, but if the price is going to be the same either way, then I have to go with the roof color.

I have an eight foot wide pink/purple/salmon colored fireplace that dominates my entire living/dining room space. They are a higher-end product (and much more expensive than vinyl I might add!) It boggles my mind how common it is for people to make a tens-of-thousands-of-dollars decision without consulting with a professional. I have brick…threatening to paint it, but I keep debating (remember your post on decorating your own place ! If you install white vinyl windows, they are typically a slightly grey white or cool greige (that read true white in bright exterior light) and they are too cool and stark to work with the vast majority of brick and stone, or the still common warm and earthy colour schemes. I often will help clients (especially when it comes to the option of black) by relating it to eye liner. I have always wished for a fireplace, but have no reason to use one! If gray, then should I go lighter or darker than the stone color, or match the stone color exactly? I’m so happy to have found your blog-plan to continue following it and recommend it to my friends.

Get my go-to list of Classic and Timeless Neutral Paint Colours (including white) AND 12 Ways to Create a Colour Scheme if you need to paint right now. It’s way too white and now it doesn’t match the taupe walls at all. Join Your Design Team, 6 Reasons to Hire a Home Design Professional, How Modern Architecture Can Connect Us to Nature, How the Tuberculosis Pandemic Helped Shape Modernist Architecture, Why You Should Embrace a Solid Slab Backsplash, Natural Boulders Enhance 4 Standout Landscape Designs, The Latest Looks in Tile, Stone and Flooring. Thank you very much!” Debra. Get Maria’s expert colour advice with our convenient eDesign colour consultations.

Colour. Learn the questions you should ask about health and safety practices when choosing companies to handle your project, Your budget bathroom can have a high-end feel with the right tile, stone, vanity and accessories, Looks are important. So, obviously, I had to add a  specific question about the colour and material of their windows. Thank you! Stone, whether natural or veneer, is a popular way to add texture, pattern and interest to a home's exterior.

The exterior utterly lacks charm with a dark grey featureless roof, loads of mid toned red to orange brick and dark muddy brown trim. The handsome palette for this home’s exterior draws on the deep jade and toasty tan found in the locally quarried granite stone details. While you’re here, subscribe to this feed so you don’t miss out! The room also has lots of dark honey oak – trim, wainscoting, built in shelves, and beams. And let’s be clear, the average builder/developer is not the most reliable source for the right advice. I will keep reading your ideas and hopefully something will click Appreciate all your shared advice so much. You are right, stone fireplaces are totally the boss! So I painted either side of my fireplace Clementine..a california paint.

You could see it from the entry; it was the focal point of the living room as well as the other side in the dining room. Clean white trim and beefy white columns add contrast, symmetry and depth. but I am sooo pleased with how everything turned out.

My woodwork is also kind of dark. Thank you, Beth, Hi Beth, The house suddenly has a charm and personality it completely lacked before.