In the video below from Sky Blue Videography, you can see how peanuts are grown in Georgia. but I know they make other types too. However, it can be confusing sometimes because other labels list out each individual nut in the product instead of just listing “tree nuts” or “peanuts.”. In the video below from Sky Blue Videography, you can see how peanuts are grown in Georgia. Allergens are a long and complicated topic. Hi, I'm Megan! We are the parents of a severely food allergic son, Morgan, first diagnosed at the age of 9 months old with life threatening allergies to peanuts, (tree nuts, sesame, fish and shellfish came later); and a daughter, Michaela, diagnosed with celiac disease and a mast cell mediated disorder. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.

Drupes have three layers: an outer layer called the exocarp, a fleshy middle layer called the mesocarp and an endocarp — the hard, woody layer that surrounds the seed. I know, it’s pretty confusing, so let me explain. Some tree nuts are drupes. Tree nuts include almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios and walnuts.

Tree nuts grow above-ground on trees, while peanuts grow underground.

Or, if a cooler is storing fresh fruit and any kind of nut, or allergen containing product, they have to have separate storage areas to protect the consumer. They includes true nuts and drupes like almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts, cashews, chestnuts, coconuts and many, many more. Whereas, with tree nuts, they grow like any other tree fruit. Well… no. Tree nut allergies cannot be cured. When it comes to allergens, tree nuts are defined differently. I'm here to share my passion for produce and to give you a behind the scenes look at the produce industry! Nuts are by definition a hard-shelled pod that contains both the fruit and seed of the plant, a category that includes hazelnuts and acorns. Allergen labeling is such an important step that if it is missed or incomplete, a recall will be initiated for the product. Peanuts are legumes, which are edible seeds enclosed in pods, and are in the same family as beans, lentils, and peas. What Should I Do If I Think I’m Allergic to Peanuts or Tree Nuts? Food that includes coconut will likely have a label stating that the product includes Tree Nuts. If you have any more questions about food allergens, check out our. are both classified as nuts in common terms, they are listed as separate categories in the allergen listing because they are different kinds of plants. Hope you can find an alternative you can have! Meanwhile, tree nuts, which include but are not limited to, walnuts, cashews, almonds, and pecans, are all produced on trees. When you see the growing and harvesting process, it appears more similar to processing tomatoes than it does to tree nuts. The nuts are popular in their whole form, and chocolate-coated Brazil nuts are also quite popular.

One of the most detailed resources online can be found at the Food Allergy Research & Education website. Botanically speaking, nuts are tree nuts, but not all tree nuts are nuts.

Tree nuts grow above-ground on trees, while peanuts grow underground. And How Does It Differ From a Walnut? All of this matters when it comes to labeling food. An allergy to one tree nut does not necessarily mean an individual is allergic to other tree nuts, but certain tree nuts are closely related, including cashew with pistachio and pecan with walnut. Which, in fact, they are. Like I mentioned above, they are any nut or colloquially defined nut that is produced on a tree.

Walnut Processing: From Hulling to Packing, California Figs: Fig Cultivars Grown Commercially, How New Apple Cultivars Make it to the Market, Frequently Asked Questions about Fruits & Vegetables. While people may only be allergic to certain types of tree nuts, that can lead to a higher risk of being allergic to other types of tree nuts. That's because a one-cup serving of macadamia nuts contains almost 1,000 calories, and it's incredibly easy to eat half your daily calorie allowance while you're munching.

When you see the growing and harvesting process, it appears more similar to processing tomatoes than it does to tree nuts. Always read the ingredient list before consuming a food or food product. If you enjoyed this post, you might also like: In order to pass the CAPTCHA please enable JavaScript, Automated page speed optimizations for fast site performance. Drupes are actually fruit with a hard stony covering enclosing the seed. Luckily, there are resources available to help you when preparing and purchasing food, as well as when treatment is needed. Nutmeg and water chestnuts are not considered nuts either, and there’s no need to stay away from them if you have a nut allergy, according to our allergist. Is That Really the Definition of a Tree Nut? Have you ever assumed that peanuts were a nut? © 2020 International Food Information Council. Macadamia nuts are delicious, but they're not as healthy as you might think. Is It Safe To Follow a Vegan Diet While Pregnant? And do you even know what a tree nut is? Also, since peanuts can be processed in the same facilities as other tree nuts, it is important to make sure to read the labels of all products purchased because of a greater risk for cross-contamination. In the United States, the FDA has designated 8 main allergen categories: So, why are peanuts not included in the same category as tree nuts? Every country has their own categorization of allergens, which is something that food producers need to consider when preparing and labeling food destined for domestic and export sales. tious So it may be possible that you, or someone you know, is living with a food allergy.

If you know someone who has one of the common eight allergens, you know it can get really tedious. It’s actually a legume.

the trees- not the nuts themselves.

Be certain to read and understand labeling statements such as “contain,” “may contain” or “processed in a facility that also manufactures… ” The potential allergen could be in that product. Although peanuts and other tree nuts (e.g., walnuts, Brazil nuts, almonds, cashews, etc.) Consumer Surveys: A Continued Look at COVID-19’s Impact on Food Purchasing, Eating Behaviors and Perceptions of Food Safety. I am allergic to cashews and dairy, and cashews are how they make vegan dairy products. Our Story of Food Intolerance & Mast Cell Issues, Less Common Allergies: Environmental & Pet, Traveling and Eating Out With Food Allergy, Healing Through a New Relationship with Food, Healing Through Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), The Truth About Coconuts As I See It | Allergy Free Test Kitchen, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foodaversions.people, 28 Day Healthy Eating Challenge! AllergicChild.com is the creation of Robert and Nicole Smith. There can also be additional labeling warning the consumer about shared storage or production space. , I have created a food allergy app which includes tree nut allergy. The ones I’m aware of are Soy, Hemp, Almond, Hazelnut, Oat, Rice and Coconut, but there may be more that I’m not aware of.

If you, like I, have ever wondered this, this post explains all the nitty gritty, or rather nutty gritty, on nuts. What Happens to Produce After it’s Been Harvested? adjective

Some tree nuts are drupes. nourishing; efficient as food. Whereas, with tree nuts, they grow like any other tree fruit.