That's something she attributes to the cultural norms of the time, which have arguably changed significantly in the decades since. Not anymore, thanks to you, Giada! “It had to be a good working kitchen where Giada could do show segments if she wanted to,” says Kevin Fitzsimons, the Toronto-based designer who put the room together. Giada De Laurentiis told Redbook in 2009 that her brother Dino losing his battle to skin cancer is what made her decide to become a parent. "Going to Cordon Bleu taught me how to prove myself by not just talking the talk — but walking the walk," she added. "Girls are supposed to get married and have children." But the chef made the best with what she had. "What would happen to this life we had created, where we'd just take off for Santa Barbara for the weekend?" Fortunately, De Laurentiis survived culinary school, despite the trials and tribulations that came with it, including being one of the only women in her class.

Architectural Digest may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers. “This up-close look at Giada’s home life and the food she loves making with her family is fun, personal and a pleasure to watch.”. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20) and Your California Privacy Rights. Thus, in 2003, Everyday Italian was born. "My family was in the movie business, so I was never interested in that world." That’s the way it was for me as a kid.” Cin can! Her grandfather was the famed Italian movie mogul Dino De Laurentiis, who produced countless films over the course of his career, as noted by IMDb. 2 best-selling monthly magazine on the newsstand, with 13.5 million readers.

Just as Giada De Laurentiis' career as a celebrity chef was taking off with Everyday Italian airing regularly on Food Network, tragedy struck. De Laurentiis packed her bags and went to Paris to attend the Cordon Bleu, the world-famous cooking school.

"I loved being in the kitchen, watching the customers come in and talk about what they liked and didn't like." The celebrity chef, 49, was snapped splashing around in the waves in Miami Beach, Fla., on Wednesday. “I basically haven’t done it all by myself in 18 years.

"I'm going to be honest — it was brutal," she dished.

Is "Giada at Home" Taped at Her Residence. Giada De Laurentiis has shown us the beauty of home cooking over the course of her career, but one thing she has kept pretty quiet is the beauty of her home itself. Because of her brother's untimely passing, De Laurentiis made it a priority to educate people about the importance of wearing sunscreen and checking your skin.

She also uses technology to incorporate her friends and extended family into the action, including virtual visits from her mother, siblings and Aunt Raffy. It boasts lavish work and storage space and lots of industrial-grade appliances—two dishwashers, four ovens—but what you notice first and last is its fabulous good looks. Giada de Laurentiis enjoyed a break from her busy schedule with a dip in the ocean. In 2007, Giada's Weekend Getaways debuted on the network, which filmed De Laurentiis at popular food destinations in the U.S. After that, Giada at Home started its wildly popular run in 2008, followed by Giada's Holiday Handbook, Giada Entertains, and Giada in Italy.