The stew is made with a variety of vegetables and seasonings and is finished with a rich sour cream sauce. If you have fresh herbs, add a few sprigs to the stew. We rely on you to do this. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Vary the stew with different vegetables, adding some parsnips, potatoes, or rutabaga to the stew to make it a full meal. Rabbit meat should never be placed in the slow cooker frozen. Roasting the Rabbit: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Add a light dusting of garam masala. Directions: Use a big, heavy knife or kitchen shears to cut the rabbit into three pieces – front legs, torso, back legs. 1 large rabbit (mine was 3 to 3.5 pounds) Arrange on the platter with sprigs of rosemary. Perhaps the most succulent rabbit I have ever eaten was made by Giovanna, the cook at Villa Gaidello, the guest farm just outside Modena. If your rabbit is frozen, you may want to allow 8 hours overall cooking time or thaw it first. Then turn heat up to 450 degrees and uncover rabbit. Years before the barn had been converted into the Villa's rustic dining rooms. Add a light dusting of garam masala.

Add 2 cans of coconut milk to nearly submerge the rabbit pieces. Add a heavy dusting of ground ginger, cinnamon, and yellow Jamaican curry. 2 cans coconut milk. As she cooked, her timidness fell away, but her eyes were always sad. My farmer had just processed four rabbits when I arrived to pickup vegetables and eggs on Saturday morning, so I brought one home with me and created a freestyle rabbit curry in the slow cooker. Serve the stew with crusty bread or biscuits and a tossed salad. This stew may be made with a whole … 6 ounces canned sliced mushrooms, drained, 10 3/4 ounces cream of mushroom soup, undiluted. Every recipe on this site meets their "Whole30" criteria AND passes my taste tests. I call it freestyle because I did not consult my earlier recipe for rabbit curry, but made up a new curry recipe off the top of my head that I liked even better. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team. Slip rabbit into the oven and roast for 30 minutes before pouring the wine and lemon juice over it. if using frozen rabbit. Arrange rabbit pieces in slow cooker. If the rabbits are frozen, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight. When done, transfer food to plates and enjoy! While browning the rabbit isn't necessary, the caramelization will add to the flavor of the dish. According to the USDA, the minimum safe temperature for rabbit is 160 F. Add the sour cream, stir gently to blend, and cook for about 20 to 30 minutes longer, or until hot. Drizzle the rabbit with its pan juices, if desired.

Use slow cooker.

Add a heavy dusting of ground ginger, cinnamon, and yellow Jamaican curry. Printer friendly version: Slow Cooker Freestyle Rabbit Curry, Mail (will not be published) (required). Flavors will change, but the dish is still irresistible. Serving: Have a serving platter warming. Add a moderate dusting of salt, garlic powder, and crushed red chili peppers. When people speak of soul food, I remember Giovanna's shy smile and those meals at Villa Gaidello. I like being able to see inside without opening the lid, but the Breville sells for $75 less than the Cuisinart. You might find fresh or frozen rabbits in the market. Place the rabbit in a shallow roasting pan, just large enough to hold it comfortably. Substitute 1/2 to 1 cup of pearl onions for the chopped onion. Make sure the roasting pan is large enough to hold them without touching so meat can brown easily. Cut up veggies & add. Get it free when you sign up for our newsletter. Because rabbits have lean meat, it's easy to overcook it—that results in a tough, dry meal. Now I find that I like most everything I cook every time because skill really does improve with practice. Notes: I wilted a wok full of fresh greens in some coconut oil and layered them on my plate before adding rabbit curry on top. It transcended a mere "good meal," often touching the heart. Stir the mixture and spoon it over the meat. If the rabbits are frozen, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. Yellow Jamaican curry This simple stewed rabbit is cooked to savory perfection in the slow cooker.

That may be a little intimidating at first, but I think it is important to experiment with your cooking and to develop a feel for appropriate amounts of spice. Mom's Chicken with Turmeric Tahini, Chickpeas, and Onions, Lemony Chicken and Charred-Artichoke Pasta, Staying Close, Even When Distant with Sam Sanders and more, The Splendid Table: Recipes from Emilia-Romagna, the Heartland of Northern Italian Food, Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month.

Unlike anything I'd known, they kindled an overwhelming sense of oneness with my own Italian heritage.

In winter the rabbit is good with garlicky mashed potatoes and roast fennel. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op. Add a few sprigs of fresh rosemary or thyme to the mixture. Transfer the browned rabbit pieces to the slow cooker and continue with the recipe. This approach to eating is explained in It Starts With Food by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig. Then cut down the center of the leg portions to separate the right and left sides. Sprinkle on all sides with salt and pepper. The flavors were more complex because I used a wide variety of spices, but did not go heavy with any particular one. Set temperature to slow … 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature, or 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 1-inch sprig fresh rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves. Giovanna is retired now. The cardamon and cloves are not pleasant to chew, so look for them and small bones when you are eating.

Ground ginger

An easy weeknight recipe and more, delivered once a week. I remember how shy she was during my first visit to Villa Gaidello. Slow Cooker Freestyle Rabbit Curry (Serves 4-8). Add about 10 whole cloves and 10 whole green cardamom pods. Roast another 15 minutes, or until deep golden brown. Make a beer-braised rabbit stew by eliminating the sour cream and cream of mushroom soup and add 12 ounces of a dark beer of your choice. Add 2 cans of coconut milk to nearly submerge the rabbit pieces. It will hold, lightly covered with foil, in a turned-off oven about 15 minutes, while the rest of the meal is readied. They add onion flavor and make for an attractive presentation. ), The Spruce Eats uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. (Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. Set temperature to slow cook (200 degrees on my unit) and time to 6 hours. Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. My approach is to add a light, moderate, or heavy “dusting” of a spice depending upon how much of any particular spice I think would make the food taste good. The Breville Stainless-Steel 7-Quart Slow Cooker with EasySear Insert on display in my Store is similar.

Working Ahead: The rabbit is best roasted and eaten almost immediately. Southern-cuisine expert and cookbook author Diana Rattray has created more than 5,000 recipes articles in her 20 years as a food writer. My slow cooker is a Cuisinart Multi Cooker that I picked up at Williams-Sonoma because my local store had one in stock and I wanted to start cooking right away. Many people tell you exactly how much spice to add by giving you measurements in teaspoons or tablespoons. Moistened with bastings of wine, lemon, and butter, the meat crisps to a deep golden brown while sealing in every bit of its juices. Rabbit meat should never be placed in the slow cooker frozen. If you wanted to cook big carrots with the rabbit, you might want to add it after 3 hours and not 4 to allow plenty of time for them to cook through. Rinse and dry the rabbit thoroughly.

If you don't have fresh herbs on hand, add a few pinches of dried thyme or rosemary. That means you have to be careful when eating to avoid swallowing or choking on any. Add the seasoned rabbit pieces (in batches, if necessary) and brown them for about 2 minutes on each side. I like wilted greens and rabbit curry, but most any vegetable would make a good accompaniment to rabbit curry. Dealing with the bones is not a problem to me, but I might not serve rabbit curry to a small child. If the sauce is too thick, thin it with a small amount of chicken stock or, in a pinch, water. From The Splendid Table: Recipes from Emilia-Romagna, the Heartland of Northern Italian Food by Lynne Rossetto Kasper (William Morrow, 1992). My body fat dropped from 30 percent to 10 percent over the course of one year eating all I wanted of meat, fish, eggs, veggies, some fruit, and lots of healthy fats from coconut, avocados, and olives, but no grains, dairy, peas, beans, sugar, processed foods, or alcohol.

Giovanna seemed to like it that way. One night, tortellini from Giovanna's kitchen brought me to tears, strange though it may sound. Add about 10 whole cloves and 10 whole green cardamom pods. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours, or until the meat is tender and thoroughly cooked. Check them out by clicking on the Store link in the upper right hand corner of this site. Cook's Notes: Whole rabbits may have to be special ordered through your butcher or market. To sear the rabbit pieces before putting them in the slow cooker, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Spoon the pan juices over the meat, cover loosely with foil, and continue roasting l hour. After 4 hours of cooking, I threw a small batch of small, fresh carrots on top of the mix and let them cook with the rabbit for 2 hours. When I first began cooking, I often ate overly spicy food because I frequently added a heavy dusting of the hot stuff when I should have added a light or moderate dusting.