"A spot where you can claim safety, sanity.". On that particular count, however, the Guthrie family says thanks but no thanks. He wanted to sing the truth — and in fact, his song was a rebuttal to another one. Bruce Springsteen called it "one of the most beautiful songs ever written." Cependant, certaines sources indiquent qu'une chanson originale de la Carter Family, Little Darlin' Pal of Mine, est la source de la mélodie de This Land[2]. "And my mother, that was a little bit too much for her nerves.". Nora says plenty of people have told her just that. "We've always gotten requests from so many thousands of people over the years, saying 'This should be the national anthem' — because it's filled with beauty and love of country," she says. This Land Is Your Land est l'une des plus célèbres chansons folkloriques des États-Unis.Les paroles ont été écrites par Woody Guthrie en 1940 sur une musique existante, et ce en réponse à God Bless America d'Irving Berlin qu'il considérait comme peu réaliste et suffisante. hide caption. In his eyes, America was beautiful, but it was in trouble: He'd seen Dust Bowl refugees fighting for their lives and working people "living like rats," as he put it. T…, Woodrow Wilson "Woody" Guthrie (July 14, 1912–October 3, 1967) was an American songwriter and. During the tense period of President Trump's proposed travel ban, protesters sang it to passengers who'd been detained at JFK and Philadelphia International Airport. The first known professionally printed publication was in 1956 by Ludlow Music. As I was walking that ribbon of highway, I saw above me that endless skyway: I saw below me that golden valley: This land was made for you and me.

", "That song was never on the hit parade," Seeger elaborated to NPR. En 2002, Sharon Jones et les Dap-Kings ont repris cette chanson. Al Aumuller/Courtesy of Woody Guthrie Publications, Inc. We Insist: A Timeline Of Protest Music In 2020, From Peace To Patriotism: The Shifting Identity Of 'God Bless America', The Story Of Woody Guthrie's 'This Land Is Your Land', cussed out high rents ... and punk politicians. "Basically every kid that went to summer school or kindergarten or college learned 'This Land Is Your Land.' A new house his father built burned to the ground. Woody would stand up and say, 'Oh, I don't want to get too comfortable,' " she recalls. It was a nothing of a song as far as the commercial world was concerned. The first known professionally printed publication was in 1956 by Ludlow Music. This land is your land, this land is my land From California to the New York island From the redwood forest to the Gulf Stream waters This land was made for you and me As I was walking that ribbon of highway I saw above me that endless skyway I saw below me that golden valley This land … He had seen a lot of the United States by then, from the prairies to the forests to the big cities. "Alan would say, 'Come sit down and have something to eat.' Let us know what you think of the Last.fm website. Scrobbling is when Last.fm tracks the music you listen to and automatically adds it to your music profile.

In one verse that rarely gets performed, he bristles at a "private property" sign. Lassé d'entendre Kate Smith chanter cette chanson, il a écrit sous forme de réponse, God Blessed America for Me[1], dont il changea les paroles au cours des interprétations, ajoutant parfois des vers plus politiques. Al Aumuller/Courtesy of Woody Guthrie Publications, Inc. W. Guthrie a tiré la mélodie de This Land Is Your Land essentiellement de When the World's on Fire, un chant baptiste enregistré par la Carter Family dix ans auparavant. "This Land Is Your Land" is one of the United States' most famous folk songs. He, apparently, hated it. "The whole idea of a 'land' is your spot on earth," Nora says. This story is part of American Anthem, a yearlong series on songs that rouse, unite, celebrate and call to action. "This Land Is Your Land" is sung in all kinds of settings: elementary schools, political campaigns, parades.

The left-leaning politics of "This Land Is Your Land" are most likely lost on the millions of kids who have been learning the song for decades now. Les troisième et quatrième couplets sont inspirés de ceux chantés par Woody Guthrie dans le plus ancien enregistrement connu, datant de mars 1944[3]. His daughter, Nora Guthrie, says her father was a no-frills kinda guy — but also a deeply curious wanderer, who would go out for a pack of cigarettes and not come home for a week or two. Find more at NPR.org/Anthem. The song, Nora says, "belongs to the people — not the government.". Guthrie was pro-union, anti-war and a Communist sympathizer. A choked-up Guthrie told the story to folklorist Alan Lomax in 1940 for the Library of Congress: "This one blowed up, caught fire, and she run around the house about twice before anybody could catch her," he said. selon les recommandations des projets correspondants. "We did one program on CBS Radio, and a newspaper reported out, said, 'Red minstrels try to get on the networks,' " Seeger said.

There were consequences for his career: The late Pete Seeger, who became an icon of folk music, often appeared with Guthrie, and once told NPR the two were blacklisted as early as the 1940s. And although it's been recorded hundreds of times, most people don't learn it from a recording. "And that was the last job we got.

", For some time, the only work Seeger could find was singing for young people. This land is your land and this land is my landFrom California to the New York islandFrom the redwood forest to the Gulf Stream watersThis land…. Daoud Tyler-Ameen contributed to the digital version of this story. Its lyrics were written by Woody Guthrie in 1940 on a traditional melody, possibly a hymn. Iris DeMent), Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. Ten years later, Guthrie's mother died in what was then referred to as a hospital for the insane. Vous pouvez partager vos connaissances en l’améliorant (comment ?)

"Don't get too comfortable because you never know who's going to take your home away.". Growing up in Oklahoma, a young Woody Guthrie couldn't claim much of either: Cyclones, dust storms and heartbreak disrupted his world over and over. Nora says that in a way, "the land" was Woody's home. This Land Is Your Land est l'une des plus célèbres chansons folkloriques des États-Unis. His father lost everything, and Guthrie and his siblings were sent to live with friends and family. If you look at the original lyric sheet to "This Land Is Your Land," Guthrie added a line at the bottom: "All you can write is what you see." So when he sings "this land," she explains, he's not just talking about deserts and wheat fields.

It was never played on TV. "And that's how the song really became popularized — not by my father, but by people like Pete Seeger, who was blacklisted," Nora Guthrie explains. This Land Is Your Land Words and Music by Woody Guthrie Chorus: This land is your land, this land is my land From California to the New York island; From the red wood forest to the Gulf Stream waters This land was made for you and me. "It was never played on the radio. Go directly to shout page.

On 'This Land Is Your Land,' Woody Guthrie's Anthem To Finding Home Woody Guthrie was born into the Dust Bowl's devastation and displacement. This Land Is Your Land: The Asch Recordings, Vol. Later, when his older sister Clara was 14, she was ironing on a kerosene stove that caught fire. And he did not like to keep still, even when he recorded those sessions with Alan Lomax. Seeger believed the song endures simply because people love to sing it. Les troisième et quatrième couplets de la reprise sont : Un article de Wikipédia, l'encyclopédie libre. 1, In Spite of Ourselves (feat. But practically everybody in America knew this song.". He also, as he put it, "cussed out high rents ... and punk politicians." Leave feedback, "This Land Is Your Land" is one of the United States' most famous folk songs. He originally called his song "God Blessed America" — as in, past tense. Its lyrics were written by Woody Guthrie in 1940 on a traditional melody, possibly a hymn. A new version of Last.fm is available, to keep everything running smoothly, please reload the site. Les paroles ont été écrites par Woody Guthrie en 1940 sur une musique existante, et ce en réponse à God Bless America d'Irving Berlin qu'il considérait comme peu réaliste et suffisante. Its lyrics were written by Woody Guthrie in 1940 on a traditional melody, possibly a hymn. In 2002, it was one of 50 recordings chosen that year by the Library of Congress to be added to the National Recording Registry, "This Land Is Your Land" is one of the United States' most famous folk songs. Let us know what you think of the Last.fm website. Javascript is required to view shouts on this page. Just as the song says, he "roamed and rambled" across the country: walking, hitchhiking, hopping freight trains, going by bus when he could afford it. La dernière modification de cette page a été faite le 1 octobre 2020 à 14:42. Connect your Spotify account to your Last.fm account and scrobble everything you listen to, from any Spotify app on any device or platform. Its lyrics were written by Woody Guthrie in 1940 on a tr…, "This Land Is Your Land" is one of the United States' most famous folk songs. His signature song, … He ended up in Pampa, Texas, and then, when the brutal dust storms hit, headed to California. Woody Guthrie circa 1940. Some user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Woody Guthrie: this man is your myth, this man is my myth, https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=This_Land_Is_Your_Land&oldid=175195607, Chanson inscrite au National Recording Registry, licence Creative Commons attribution, partage dans les mêmes conditions, comment citer les auteurs et mentionner la licence. And yet, politics is partly how the song spread.

She suffered from Huntington's disease — a genetic brain disorder that was misunderstood at the time (and the same disease that would later kill the singer himself). When Woody Guthrie wrote the song in February 1940, he was 27 years old, sitting in his room in a fleabag hotel in midtown Manhattan called Hanover House. Kate Smith's version of Irving Berlin's "God Bless America" was on jukeboxes and radio everywhere during Guthrie's journey across the country.

For decades, "This Land Is Your Land" been a staple of kindergarten classrooms "from California to the New York island," as the lyrics go.