You can NOT try to mix the “almost guessing” methods most of them use with the method in this tutorial. It just changes to copper about 6 feet away from the house (this is actually a fairly common situation.) By continuing you agree to the use of these cookies or other local storage, as well as the collection, sharing, and use of personal data for personalization of ads or other services.
If you have a pressure regulator on your house you must use a gauge to test the water pressure yourself. Irrigation Glossary    Still pretty simple! If you’re using one of those design-it-yourself brochures or websites all bets are off! Thank you.

Flow is the traveling companion of water pressure. Trust me, I know what I’m doing.

The weakest point is usually that little water tube that runs between the shut off valve and the toilet in your bathroom, or possibly the ones that go to the sink faucets. The Maximum Available GPM Table gives you the maximum SAFE flow. Tank elevation is 70′ higher than the yard. If your water comes from a tank or other gravity fed system, skip this page and go to How to Measure the GPM & PSI from a Gravity Fed Water System. For this reason you need to be careful when replacing a copper or PE tube with a PEX tube. I’ve no idea what kind of water system you have, but it seems that most likely it will be some type of gravity flow system, so here’s some information about gravity flow systems. The first of these is called “water hammer”. Legal PSI is 80 in any factory or workplace. Spiders and snakes: If the meter is in a box, watch out for spiders and ants in the meter box! Do it right the first time! It is common for the meter to be one size smaller than the pipe. If you have a pipe that goes from the water source to a tank, you do not need to include the pipe that goes to the tank. Remove the valve and measure the full flow from the open pipe end if possible. Use the smallest pipe to determine the Maximum Available Flow. Possible bad news: If you have less than 25 PSI you just don’t have enough pressure for a standard automatic irrigation system to work well (the automatic valves need a higher pressure to work). You are going to need about 20 GPM of water to irrigate 1 acre of grass with sprinklers. Ie; don’t check it on the 3rd floor if you plan to attach the sprinklers at the first floor! Most joints will be soldered, look for silver color solder at the joints to identify it. Let me worry about why it works (it does), you just do the math! automation of a rain barrel irrigation system, Balancing the Pressure in an Irrigation System. Copper tube has a different diameter than iron pipes, and is made in sizes known as CTS (copper tube size). With drip irrigation you only water the area the plant foliage actually covers. Joe will need to calculate the friction loss in both those pipes and add it together to find out his “mainline friction loss”. This is usually at the street or alley. Clunk, clunk, clunk, chew, chew… until the day you come home to a flooded house. All of these things can damage your irrigation system. OK, I realize I may have confused you, because earlier I told you not to use a hose bib to tap the sprinklers into, and now I just told you that you can use a hose bib to measure the static pressure. I would like to know the formula to convert PSI to GPM please. Sometimes PEX & PE are heat welded together, but most of the time they are connected together with fittings using clamps, teeth, or compression-nuts that hold the tube onto or into the fitting. So you would use 11 GPM from the table. Divide the tank capacity by this number to get the buffer GPM. Enter the “Tank Inflow GPM” on your Design Data Form.

So the irrigation water will not pass through any of those smaller pipes inside the house and you can ignore them. Copyright ©1997-20014, OnlineConversion.com. If you would prefer a pdf version see PDF Design Data Form. Mild Winter Climates:  In milder climate areas there is typically a shut-off valve and or a water meter at the location where the pipe enters the property. Standard PVC pipe is made in conformance with IPS (iron pipe size) standards. The water running through the house pipes can also be very noisy at night and disturbs some people’s sleep. PEX is easily scratched with a fingernail, PVC scratches, but not easily. Often the valves are buried, sometimes several feet down, and a sleeve comes up to the surface with a small lid or box over it. PE is almost never used inside a house if the house was built to code. So how do you tell which one you have? Everything! The bucket test is only used to determine if there is an unseen restriction in the water supply pipe that reduces the flow below the level given in the table. In most cases it is possible to push a higher flow (GPM) through the pipe. It is similar to regular PVC, but will be labeled “CPVC”. Example: Using a 5 gallon container it takes 14 seconds to fill the container. If you don’t have a storage tank the Initial Design Flow will be the same as the Maximum GPM you measured using the “Bucket Method”. Why is the flow you measured with a bucket often too high? Example: Joe Backwoods has a pipe (pipe #1) that runs from the creek way up the canyon to a storage tank on the hill above his house. A static water pressure higher than 70 PSI can damage the fixtures and appliances in a household. Keep in mind that there may be more than one type of pipe or tubing used at different locations! Often users of the tutorial have an “ah ha!” moment when they get about 95% done with their first design and suddenly it all makes sense. The mainline supply size would be measured on the copper pipe coming out of the floor. Warning: your water system may already have a pressure gauge installed on it. Turn off the water and disconnect the gauge, you’re done! If the tank was far enough away, much farther than would ever apply here, the pressure COULD vary due to changes in the gravitational pull of the earth and moon. Irrigation Tutorials Home    It is not uncommon to find that a shut-off valve installed on the water supply pipe is a smaller size than the pipe. No tunnels or holes into the box that I could find.

You need to either forget you ever read them or do not continue. You can NOT try to mix the “almost guessing” methods most of them use with the method in this tutorial. This height is the elevation difference, not the distance away. The other bad thing that happens at high flows is called “scrubbing”. Some manufacturers suggest that PEX will not be damaged by higher flows, up to 10 ft/sec. This is going to be interesting. There are only so many hours in the day to water. (“Fittings” is the term we use for the various connectors that are used to join two or more pipes together.) Cold Winter Climates:  In colder climates the water line often enters directly into the basement or crawl space under the house from underground. If you don’t have enough water I can suggest a few ideas for you to look into.

This is extremely expensive to repair!

You then add the friction loss for both pipes together to get the “mainline friction loss”. Water pressure is the energy that powers your sprinkler system, so it is very important. In areas where it gets very cold some people like to tap into a pipe in the basement or someplace else inside a heated building. You are helping save my sanity. You do not want to go above 120 or you will blow those two sizes of pipe out really easily. Robert Fogt. Container size in gallons / Seconds to fill container X 60 = GPM. This page was generated at 08:55 AM. By continuing you agree to the use of these cookies or other local storage, as well as the collection, sharing, and use of personal data for personalization of ads or other services. Small Valves.

Often when replacing a copper or PE tube with a PEX tube it is necessary to use PEX that is one size larger than the tube it is replacing. Often copper is used under concrete slabs and then it converts to PEX for other locations. If your water comes to you from a water company, you’re on the right page. These are really the same factors that determine water supply for all irrigation systems, however you will measure them using different methods.
STOP! 8 hours + 12 hours is less than 24 so we can buffer the Tank Inflow GPM. PVC is fairly rigid, and it is not easily scratched with your fingernail. Don’t get discouraged, be patient, and it will all come together. The path ahead viewed dimly through the fog??? Avoid measuring the flow from a small valve such as a hose bib, as the valve may substantially reduce the flow. It’s 0 degrees outside, and you couldn’t get a shovel into the frozen ground even if you wanted to, which you don’t! Outside of the United States pressure is most often measured in “bars”. That would be “putting the cart before the horse”. The pressure regulator reduces the water pressure in your house, so that it doesn’t damage your plumbing fixtures. Pretty simple! This means it has much higher pressure losses when the water passes through it. If you’re using one of those design-it-yourself brochures or websites all bets are off! This website is intended for use by residents of North America only. What will the net GPM flow rate be? Next to the house Joe plans to tap a new pipe (pipe #3) into the house supply pipe to take water to his new sprinkler system valves. Enter the meter size on your Design Data Form. With a gravity flow system your mainline includes the pipe that brings the water to your yard from the water source! Delavan PowerFLO™ 7822FS-221-SB Flex Series 2.2 GPM 80 PSI Diaphragm Demand-Bypass Pump with 3/4” Quick Attach Ports. The deal is that you are only human. This article is part of the Sprinkler Design Tutorial Series

You will need to use a manual control system, add a pump, or use a special type of valve used to heating systems. Brass pipe is made in made in conformance with IPS (iron pipe size) standards. 0 (0%) You must login to write a review. See the answers to common questions at the bottom of this page for details on why this happens. I hear those loud noises every time the washing machine or dishwasher runs!

Consider reducing the amount of lawn and replacing it with shrubs. Often the water supply coming into your property will not be a single type and size of pipe. If the pipe has glued joints it is almost always going to be PVC or ABS. Many houses do not have a pressure regulator. So if your static pressure is 70 PSI, the highest pressure you should set on the pressure regulator would be 55 PSI. Of course, you must tap into the pipe after the water meter. Photo credit and thanks to Ed Pletsch. If the water company tells you your neighborhood pressure is over 65 PSI, you probably have a pressure regulator installed someplace on the water supply line to the house. Enter the Maximum GPM (inflow) on your Design Data Form.