The book is really useful and well worth the money for multiple reasons. You are so much further along than you were at the beginning of our walk together. Reviewed in the United States on March 7, 2020. There was a problem loading your book clubs. A comprehensive guide for any parent or professional working with Autistic children, A Work In Progress is an absolute must-have. Parents of newly diagnosed children and professionals looking for a concrete curriculum will find this book to be an invaluable resource. A comprehensive guide for any parent or professional working with Autistic children, A Work In Progress is an absolute must-have. Guide to Educate Children Diagnosed with Autism Through Applied Behavior Analysis, Crafting Connections: Contemporary Applied Behavior Analysis for Enriching the Social Lives of Persons with Autism Spectrum Disorder, VB-MAPP: Verbal Behavior Milestones Assessment and Placement Program, Full Set, The Verbal Behavior Approach: How to Teach Children With Autism and Related Disorders, Behavioral Intervention for Young Children With Autism: A Manual for Parents and Professionals, The ABA Visual Language: Applied Behavior Analysis, Early Start Denver Model for Young Children with Autism: Promoting Language, Learning, and Engagement, Parent Training for Disruptive Behavior: The RUBI Autism Network, Clinician Manual (Programs That Work), Teaching Language to Children With Autism or Other Developmental Disabilities. It is a great starting reference for writing individualized programs for children with learning delays. Includes good examples for clarity. Can't fault it. As you spend time with Me, I am removing the impurities still left in you. 4.7 out of 5 stars 162 ratings. I will say that it has a lot of good information; however, it feels more geared towards teachers/educators. While this book doesn't list granular specifics of the UCLA study, nor is it affiliated with it (one of the authors played a significant role in the study however, John McEachin), it does list out which ABA programs should be taught to a child on the Spectrum and more importantly, it lists the sequence in which those programs should be taught. A Work in Progress – Kasey’s ABA Training: Staying on Tasks For children with ASD, parents found their child often get distracted by his/her surroundings, unable to focus on tasks and unable to finish their school work. I do feel however that a large percentage of the book is perhaps geared more to those involved in structured learning programmes. Several aspects of content and style make A Work in Progress a particularly compelling source for parent-professional partnerships. This was recommended to me by my BCBA supervisor. Please try again. The ABA based behavioral intervention strategies and the detailed curriculum focus on facilitating the child's development and helping him or her to achieve the highest level of independence and quality of life possible. The authors take great care to address common misconceptions about intensive behavioral intervention by offering accurate information and examples in a non-inflammatory style.”, “Budget-crunched school districts say that they cannot afford the immediate costs of such programs. As a parent of a 4-year-old daughter with Autism - I have read this book and all of the books by these authors - they are invaluable - they give you the tools you need to teach your child, understand the process, and communicate with your childs' therapists. Reviewed in the United States on February 10, 2008. This is a complete guide that provides step-by-step instructions as well as creative ideas on how to make learning a natural progression. The two-part manual presents ABA-based behavioral intervention strategies along with a detailed curriculum that contains 54 clear, step-by-step exercises.

“The book seeks to ‘provide a road map and enough detailed examples that people who work with autistic children might develop a good understanding of the [behavioral] teaching process.’ . This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. First, while the approach is clearly behavioral, Leaf and McEachin emphasize the value of an interdisciplinary approach and the importance of collaboration. Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. The two-part manual presents ABA-based behavioral intervention strategies along with a detailed curriculum that contains … To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Brilliant book. ABA is the only research proven method out there and it is a shame that more people aren't aware of the resources they should be using. It does however contain loads of valuable strategies for parents to apply in different situations and is very concise in how to reinforce appropriate behaviours. Regional centers notoriously lie about services your child needs or qualifies to recieve - these are the first people I've worked with - attended their workshops- and learned their ABA - that get it right - if only everyone had the opportunity to learn from them - more kids would make better progress. In addition to providing an ABA curriculum, the book also discusses disruptive behaviors, self-stimulatory behaviors, sleep problems and toilet training; all of which are explained in chapters that are well written and easy to comprehend. The first half of the book, entitled Behavioral Strategies For Teaching Improving Behavior of Autistic Children, gives parents practical, how-to information on setting up an ABA program and dealing with difficult behaviors. This book is full of excellent strategies to apply for different learning and behavioural issues. His summer school teacher recommended we get this book. It can be referenced and easily comprehended by parents, who want to implement some of the ABA programs themselves, and also, it can be leveraged by parents so that they can ask informed questions of their professional ABA provider. 1st Edition. It goes a step further and provides reasons why these strategies work. There's a reason that this book is one of the biggest sellers in the Autism community.