All the Hope Larson stuff is typical of her run - the super awesome Batgirl character from previous days is gone, and she turns into a lame millennial. The hashtag #changethecover drew dozens of posts on Twitter and Tumblr asking DC to not release the variant. 1: The Batgirl of Burnside (The New 52) [Download] Full Ebook.

Various (w), Various (a). Barbara Gordon has been featured in all four main games of the critically acclaimed Batman: Arkham series, though she is only seen as Batgirl in the "A Matter of Family" DLC for the last game, Batman: Arkham Knight (2015), in which she is playable.

[7] Barbara Gordon's Batgirl exceeded the earlier Bat-Girl and Batwoman characters in popularity, and readers requested for her to appear in other titles. "[27] In 2011, IGN ranked Barbara Gordon 17th in the Top 100 Comic Books Heroes. [90] In analyzing stereotypes in gender, Jackie Marsh noted that male superheroes (such as Batman) are depicted as hyper-masculine and anti-social, "while female superheroes are reduced to a childlike status by their names" such as the Batgirl character. Barbara Gordon makes two cameo appearances in the first season of the animated series Young Justice, and is added as a recurring character in season two where she has adopted her Batgirl persona. [1] In 1961, DC Comics introduced a second female character as a love interest for Robin. This was an extra long read, but I think the publishers wanted to add in as much as they could as the line switched writers.

2) #10; June 2015 978-1401253325: Batgirl Vol. [88], Brian Cronin noted that "[many] readers felt the violence towards Barbara Gordon was too much, and even Moore, in retrospect, has expressed his displeasure with how the story turned out. Various alterations of Barbara Gordon as Batgirl have appeared in storylines published in and out of mainstream continuity titles. Free shipping for many products! So...pretty much like kids during any other... To see what your friends thought of this book. I'll talk about that first: I picked this up out of the reading order for Rebirth (because I'm still behind on that...), but I was in the mood for Batgirl, so I thought, "How much can it spoil, really?"

[1] Betty Kane as "Bat-Girl" arrived as the niece of, and Robin-like sidekick to, Batwoman, first appearing in Batman #139 (April 1961). During the No Man's Land storyline, Cassandra Cain was given the role of Batgirl under the guidance of Batman and Oracle. I keep giving Hope Larson’s Batgirl rum chances because I enjoy the character (and really enjoyed the Batgirl of Burnside run), but I keep ending up disappointed. I enjoyed this collection, even if the last issue did bum me out a little bit. She was like a pesky girl version of Robin. She was later restored as Batgirl during The New 52 relaunch of the entire DC publication line in 2011. [PDF Download] Batgirl Vol. "[94] During the early 1970s, Craig portrayed Batgirl once again in a public service announcement to advocate equal pay for women.

For a brief time during 1999's No Man's Land storyline, Helena Bertinelli assumed the mantle of Batgirl. Playing next. [24] Later that year, she appears in Alan Moore's Batman: The Killing Joke. Towards the end of the film, she dons her cowl and teams up with Batman as Batgirl in addition to her role as Commissioner. The series was cancelled in 2006 and Cassandra Cain abandoned the role of Batgirl shortly thereafter. "A Knight Alone", Learn how and when to remove this template message, Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure, "Remembering Kathy Kane: The First Batwoman", "Carmine infantino: Decades at DC and Beyond", "A (Perhaps Unnecessary) Guide to Oracle's Formative Years", "No Law and a New Order Part Two: Strategy", "Nature or Nurture? All in all, this was a pretty solid, and even varied, graphic novel.

The answer: A decent amount. In this graphic novel, the Joker shoots and paralyzes Barbara Gordon in an attempt to drive her father insane, thereby proving to Batman that anyone can lose their minds after having "one bad day". [70] Among the new titles and creative teams announced, volume 5 of Batgirl written by Hope Larson and volume 1 of Batgirl and the Birds of Prey written by Julie Benson and Shawna Benson were included. The Joker has one hand holding a revolver draped over Batgirl's shoulder and is pointing to her cheek with the other hand, as if gesturing to shoot her. [84] As such, "her fights were choreographed carefully to imitate the moves of a Broadway showgirl through the use of a straight kick to her opponent's face rather than the type of kick a martial artist would use.

While many fans were outraged when DC Comics turned Cassandra into a villainess, it does gel with notions of Asian women as not just mysterious and exotic but also as deceitful and dangerous. In 2000, she became the first Batgirl to star in an eponymous monthly comic book series, in addition to becoming one of the most prominent characters of Asian descent to appear in American comics. I've really like Batgirl in the Rebirth era. I realized they hired me because I had a cartoon voice. Partly, that was the point: This was a quick, fun Christmas story. Every character seems to be accessible, individualized, and complex. Please see your welcome email for exclusions and details. There was very little character development and the stories were all rather disjointed when put together like this. The rotating selection of artists does not disappoint either, infusing the volume with energy, attitude, and vigor. [36] Six years after its debut, DC Comics cancelled the Batgirl comic book series with issue #73 (2006), ending with Cain relinquishing her role as Batgirl.[37]. The character appeared regularly in Detective Comics, Batman Family, and several other books produced by DC until 1988. (Moreover, by the 1970s Barbara had given herself a makeover even in her "civilian identity" and ran for Congress.). Plus, enjoy 10% off your next online purchase over $50. "[87], Despite views that present the character's Batgirl persona as a symbol of female empowerment, a long-held criticism is that she was originally conceived as an uninspired variation of Batman "rather than standing alone as leader, such as Wonder Woman" who had no pre-existing male counterpart. In 2006, during an interview with Wizard, Moore expressed regret over his treatment of the character, calling it "shallow and ill-conceived".

Even Wonder Woman did pretty well under Greg Rucka, and I’m not as big of a fan of her.

A bit of a letdown for the end of Hope Larson's turn on Batgirl. [73] As Batgirl, Barbara Gordon has made several appearances in Elseworlds comics since 1997. According to Dan DiDio, "[t]hese books are created to literally reach the widest audience possible, and not just the comic book audience, but anyone who has ever wanted to read or see anything about Superman or Batman. [42] She currently acts as the Hong Kong representative of Batman Inc. Stephanie Brown, formerly the Spoiler and briefly the fourth Robin, takes up the mantle of Batgirl after Cassandra Cain gives Brown her costume under Batman's orders. The first two story arcs in this book were just that. Shop online, free pickup in store in as little as 3 hours.

The entire run felt like a story on its last legs trying to achieve one epic moment and failing. [7] When Dozier and producer Howie Horowitz saw rough concept artwork of the new Batgirl by artist Carmine Infantino during a visit to DC offices, they optioned the character in a bid to help sell a third season to the ABC television network. [60] He commented that while she "is an essential part of this team", she is not the focus of the series, as she is hesitant to be associated with the other characters because of their status as outlaws. Batgirl also guest-starred in other Superman related titles, such as #453 of Adventure Comics and in Superman Family #171, where she teams up with Supergirl. As part of the epic Rebirth launch, BATGIRL VOL. [46] Although she resumes her work as Batgirl one year after her recovery, she continues to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder, causing her to hesitate in battle when exposed to gunfire that could result in suffering new spinal damage. Although she is reimagined as the computer expert and information broker Oracle by editor Kim Yale and writer John Ostrander the following year, her paralysis sparked debate about the portrayal of women in comics, particularly violence depicted toward female characters. As Batgirl, Barbara Gordon has been adapted into various media relating to the Batman franchise, including television, film, animation, video games, and other merchandise.

Stephanie Brown became the featured character of the Batgirl series from 2009 to 2011. This Volume has a bunch of stories, but some of them don't flow well together. Brown, Dangerous Curves: Action Heroines, Gender, Fetishism, and Popular Culture, 2011[89], The Cassandra Cain version of Batgirl, depicted as a biracial character (half White and half Chinese), is notable as one of the most prominent characters of Asian descent to appear in American comic books.