Have you tried this yet? Follow along below as we show you step by step instructions with tons of pictures how to make a Homemade Boston Cream Pie recipe.

Cover with plastic wrap, pressing wrap against the filling to prevent a skin from forming.

The cream filling turned out great. You can make the custard and the chocolate topping up to a week beforehand and the cake 2-3 days in advance. If you're looking for a simple recipe to simplify your weeknight, you've come to the right place--easy dinners are our specialty. If you see something not so nice, please, report an inappropriate comment.

This is not a last minute cake. Grease a 9" cake pan with cooking spray.

Spread Pastry Cream evenly on cake. This recipe calls for a 9-by-2-inch cake pan; if you use an 8-inch wide pan, the batter will overflow.

Gradually stir in milk.

Sift together cake flour and salt.

I will be making this again. Cake RecipesBoston Cream Pie Cream Pie How to make Boston Cream Pie. That doesn’t sound appetizing, does it? Add milk and egg yolks and whisk until well combined. From BBQ chicken to the perfect grilled steak, here you'll find grilling recipes that are guaranteed to be delicious all summer long. Place the bottom layer of the cake on a serving plate with the cut side up. I ended up just ladeling it over each piece as I served it. Here, get our best grilling recipes for everything from fish and meat to pizza and oysters. © Copyright 2020 Meredith Corporation.

Separate the egg yolks from the rest of the egg. this website.

We may earn commission from the links on this page. Learn more in the Comment Policy section of our Terms of Use page. I highly recommend making all parts in advance! Sounds like something didn’t go quite right, Justin! Whisk vanilla into chilled pastry cream until smooth. Add butter and place over medium heat. Separate the egg yolks from the rest of the egg. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site. Butternut squash might be fall's most versatile (and beloved!) Laura Rege is a Food Stylist and Recipe Developer who regularly contributes recipes and styles videos and photos for Delish.

Cool cake 10 minutes in pan; remove from pan, and transfer to a rack to cool, right side up.

The cake is has a different consistency than a cake mix and freshly made custard is so wonderful! Whisk vanilla into chilled pastry cream until smooth. Place bottom half on a platter or plate, cut side up. If you put it in the fridge, it’d likely go solid!

Boston Cream Pie made from scratch in your own kitchen!

I followed your recipe to a T. Well, something clearly didn’t go quite right! Then try our go-to menu. 2 8' cake pans, stand mixer or electric beater. Not to mention, grabbing a jar of the paste (from supermarkets like Whole Foods or on Amazon) is a far better value than purchasing vanilla pods and definitely an ingredient we’d encourage home bakers to try.

Remove from heat, and add chocolate; stir until smooth. When glaze has thickened, pour over filled cake. The cake was the texture and density that I was looking for. Parts have to cool completely before assembling the entire dessert together and if you rush it, you run the risk of serving a shifting-runny-melty mess.

How can I thicken the ganache? Place the bowl over a pot of gently simmering water; whisk until mixture is warm, about 110 degrees, and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes. Pour batter into the pan; use a rubber spatula to scrape batter from bowl, spread batter evenly in pan and smooth top of batter. Wrap remaining half of cake with plastic wrap; set aside. Boston Cream Pie has 3 main parts- the cake, the custard filling and the chocolate topping. Divide cake batter evenly among prepared cake pans.

Sounds like something didn’t work quite right if your custard turned into water overnight… I’m confused! Stir occasionally until chocolate melts, about 12 minutes.

Let cool for 15 minutes in the pan, then remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. I do have some questions though. MyRecipes.com is part of the Allrecipes Food Group. Was i supposed to first dissolve it in one of the other ingredients, first?

Pour chocolate over top of cake. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar on medium-high until thick, light in color, and starting to hold its shape, about 8 minutes.

Cover top directly with plastic to prevent a crust from forming. Bake the cake in round cake pans and plan on freezing one of the two, since you only need 1 in this recipe.

This American classic, first made by a Boston chef in the 1850s, isn't actually a pie at all, it's a cake: two sponge layers with custard-cream filling and a shiny chocolate glaze.

If you love this American classic, you'll want to try our many variations, especially our Boston Cream Cheesecake!

I've tested many different recipes, and I've decided that I like this one from Martha Stewart's Everyday Living best of all, because the cake is moist while still holding its shape. all-purpose flour, 2 ½ cups (about 10 5/8 oz.)