Ms. Carranza sobbed as she described what happened on Dec. 19, 2017. In 2018, a child died in the crossfire during a bus robbery when an armed passenger engaged the robbers with a firearm.

Since 2010, there have been at least 60 murders of U.S. citizens in Honduras.

Ms. Hernández was a 28-year-old agent for the Agencia Técnica de Investigación Criminal, or ATIC, Honduras’s F.B.I., the agency charged with investigating the killings of women. Understanding what is going on in Honduras is crucial to understanding, and solving, what is going on at the United States border, where 268,044 migrants were stopped in the first five months of fiscal 2019, nearly twice as many as in the same period last year.

However, theft, break-in, assault, rape, and murder do occur. Your session will expire soon and log you out. "I don't have someone who imposes his views and his ways on me. Thanks to the contra war, when the United States secretly funded right-wing militia groups in Central America, there are an estimated 1.8 million guns in Honduras. The women’s body parts were found strewn around — the feet in one place, the heads in another. Mr. Amilcar, who had swung his machete into his wife’s legs 10 times, was charged with inflicting “light lesions,” carrying a sentence of 15 years. While there are no areas in major urban cities free of violent crime, notably dangerous locations in Tegucigalpa include the areas surrounding Suyapa Cathedral and Comayagüela. Federica Valabrega We became very good friends; we slept in the same place the whole time," Contreras said.

Karen Paz hugs her daughter, Liliana Saray, 9.

Counterfeit medicines are mainly found in. (Left) Maria Luisa Vasquez, 36, holds her children Brittany, 6, and César, 2. I am not scared someone will come and attack me, like I used to be.

driver’s licenses, vehicle registration). Hospital Honduras Medical Center: (504) 2280-1500 / ER: 2280-1201, Hospital Viera: (504) 2237-7136 or (504) 2237-3160, (504) 2238-0736, (504) 2238-0697, Hospital Centro Medico: (504) 2225-0028, (504) 2225-4060 / (504) 2225-4117, DIME: (504) 2239-9628/30 or (504) 2239-2598, Health insurance is an important consideration. Some of them started to think about crossing into the U.S. illegally instead of attempting to go through an official port of entry. At 28, Ms. Hernandez awoke from surgery with her right leg amputated below the knee.

In the last fiscal year, 97,728 migrants had a credible-fear interview, the first step in the asylum process for people who fear being returned to their own country. And yet one in 10 female murder victims are strangled to death. Review OSAC’s Honduras-specific webpage for proprietary analytic reports, Consular Messages, and contact information.

Last year, 23 women were murdered in Choloma; some say the toll is a third more. Those planning travel to Gracias a Dios should consider postponing their travel. “I am afraid,” Ms. Mercado said, pressing forward into the night. Several incidents in San Pedro Sula and La Ceiba involve U.S. citizens murdered shortly after arriving in the country. The ACS Unit cannot recommend a particular individual or location and assumes no responsibility for the quality of service provided.

But almost no one is actually charged with femicide. She reported and photographed this story in Tijuana, Mexico. There are no legal cases involving instances of terrorism affecting U.S. citizens or facilities brought before the Honduran judicial system, and no reports of judicial developments that would have a negative impact on U.S. counterterrorism efforts. President Trump keeps threatening to shut off the southern border to prevent Central Americans from crossing. Only after their oldest daughter visited him in jail, and heard him vow, “When I get out I’m going to kill her,” did a judge add attempted femicide charges and tack on 20 more years. Violence against women is declining, but not quickly enough.

"I did this thinking if and when I would ask for asylum in the U.S., I will show them the photos." From 2018 through January 2019, there were eight murder cases involving U.S. citizen victims.

But when Ms. Hernández’s body arrived at the morgue, Ms. Beltrán and her colleague, América Gómez, saw the obvious. There were two marks under her chin, suggesting she had been strangled by someone expert in cutting off oxygen without leaving bruises. Women’s murders aren’t investigated or prosecuted.

“When we go out, we don’t know if we will come home,” said Ms. Regalado of the Honduran Women’s Collective. The rainy season usually runs May-November. Ms. Lagos had helped her get a restraining order, but the authorities wouldn’t deliver it until the next day. It’s wrong to turn our backs on vulnerable women under any circumstances, but especially when they are coming from countries like Honduras, where the government is doing virtually nothing to protect them and is sometimes itself the predator.

U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa, Avenida La Paz, U.S. citizens who live in or who are visiting Honduras should register with the, External links to other internet sites should not be construed as an endorsement of the views or privacy policies contained therein, Security in Transit: Airplanes, Public Transport, and Overnights, https://www.facebook.com/embajadahonduras/. Land titling can be a significant challenges and source of conflict.