How to Store.

With young kids in our house, I know that a sauce deemed “too spicy” can ruin any dinner, no matter how delicious. Pour broth over, continuously whisking. You can also share on social with #julieblanner or the “I made it” feature on Pinterest! Sabrina Snyder. Once you've had homemade enchilada sauce, there's no going back to store bought! You’ve got to try these amazing cheese enchiladas, my chicken enchilada recipe, and beef enchiladas, too! Sign up for my free recipe club and have amazing recipes delivered directly to your inbox each week! JulieBlanner.com receives a small commission when certain items are purchased, but the price is the same for you. Don’t miss my yummy Mexican Chicken Spaghetti, our super easy Soft Chicken Tacos, and especially this incredible Homemade Margarita Mix! I was so determined to make up for lost time that I immediately set about trying to recreate my favorite restaurant enchilada recipes! Make a double batch and freeze some for later – it freezes beautifully! ©2020 Julie Blanner, All Rights Reserved. Can be made in 5 minutes using a blender. It’s rich and savory but mellow enough for all palates. For a second use of your enchilada sauce, throw it in with pork, chicken or beef for slow cooking to create a Tex-Mex pulled pork, chicken or beef dish. Customize to your family’s tastes. When a sprinkle of flour mixture sizzles on contact, add flour and spice mixture. Salsa is thicker and chunkier, generally includes tomatoes, and is generally meant as more of a dip or topping. I’m an equal opportunity enchilada lover, and I bet you will be, too, once you’ve made this sauce. Whisk in tomato sauce. Show me what you made on Instagram or Facebook and tag me at @DinnerthenDessert or hashtag it at #dinnerthendessert. Combine flour and seasonings in a small bowl. Enchilada sauce is rich, smoother, and doesn’t necessarily even have to include tomato sauce. Lots of dried spices create a deep color and a Mexican flavor profile that is zesty but not too spicy. Make sure the tomato sauce is unflavored, otherwise it’ll throw off the taste of this sauce. Hungry for more easy recipes? It only needs to simmer and toast briefly to let those flavors bloom. Home » Recipes » Dips, Dressings, + Sauces » Enchilada Sauce.

Definitely not! Once you’ve had homemade enchilada sauce, there’s no going back to store bought! This sauce comes together in just minutes and it’s so easy to customize for your family with the perfect amount of spice. A quick and easy enchilada sauce that requires no cooking! Beef enchiladas are another incredible way to enjoy this enchilada sauce! Freeze any leftovers in a glass jar, ziploc bag, or as a fully prepped enchilada dish. About the Author Sabrina Snyder.

In the end I discovered that not only is making enchilada sauce so ridiculously easy, you really don’t need much more than a jar of tomato sauce and some spices. Whisk 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Gluten Free (when you use gluten free flour). Reduce heat to low to simmer. Go for it! Get tips, tricks and recipes to host a memorable Thanksgiving! In fact, I likely won’t be going back to pre-bought stuff again. To thin the sauce, simply add a little more broth or even water if necessary.

What You Need.

This sauce comes together in just minutes and it's so easy to customize for your family with the perfect amount of spice. The pinch of ground cinnamon really makes this enchilada sauce recipe, so don’t omit it! Sabrina is a professionally trained Private Chef of over … Made This Recipe? Authentic enchilada sauce calls for different varieties of dried chili pods that are roasted, then reconstituted and pureed.

Refrigerate – When properly stored, homemade enchilada sauce will last 5-7 days in the fridge. Set aside. Your homemade sauce is prone to bacteria and should always be refrigerated or frozen. Vegetable Broth – substitute water or stock, Simple Sugar Cookies (Rolled Sugar Cookies with Cookie Frosting), Quick Caramel Cream Cheese Bread Recipe | Cheesecake Bread. pinterest link facebook link twitter link instagram link rss link. Whisk 1 minute until deep in color. Remove from heat. When I first discovered my love for enchiladas, I was sad to think of all the opportunities for amazing dinners I’d already missed. If you make this recipe, don’t forget to leave a 5 star review in the comments below! Perfect for tacos, salads and more! Cinnamon is optional, but it adds an incredibly fragrant depth to this sauce.

You are here: For an extra layer of spice, add extra chili powder and even a dash of hot sauce. Save. So with that let’s learn how to make enchilada sauce in under 10 minutes when all you’ve got is a jar of tomato sauce! https://www.itisakeeper.com/34828/red-enchilada-sauce-recipe That naturally thickens the sauce, so it doesn’t typically call for any flour, making it gluten-free. Ingredients. This homemade enchilada sauce recipe freezes beautifully! I’ve long been a fan of all the Mexican flavors. 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes (with juices) preferably fire-roasted tomatoes ( or tomato puree) ¼ cup water; 2 Tablespoons olive oil; 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar; 2 teaspoons chili powder; 1 teaspoon granulated garlic ( or 2 garlic cloves) 1 teaspoon cumin; 1/4 … Your email address will not be published. Switch the vegetable broth for beef or chicken for a more robust flavor profile. Keywords: Best Homemade Enchilada Sauce, easy enchilada sauce. That’s why I wanted to develop a richy, savory enchilada sauce that would thrill all of us!

The red enchilada sauce spices can burn easily, so keep an eye on them. (The onions, tomatoes, and garlic cloves are also dry-roasted on a comal until charred.) It’s rich, savory and full of depth – especially for a sauce that comes together so quickly! Want a little more spice? Sauce will continue to thicken. https://www.thespruceeats.com/easy-enchiladas-recipe-2342670 One of the best things about making your own enchilada sauce is that not only is it so much more delicious than the canned versions, it’s so easy to customize! Hi, I'm Julie, the voice behind the lifestyle blog filled with inspiration for effortless entertaining, home design and thoughtful gift-giving that celebrates everyday life. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. It’s so fast and easy to throw together… this enchilada sauce recipe comes together in under 10 minutes. In a saucepan or pot over medium heat, warm oil. JulieBlanner.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Many of the links on this blog are affiliate links.

At Room Temperature – Only store bought (or safely canned) enchilada sauce can be kept at room temperature because it’s properly preserved.