I remember one of my favorites being the Leap Year Cocktail. It was invented by Lesley Gracie, a Yorkshire native, who was hired by William Grant & Sons to work in new liquid development for some of their products. The Beverage Testing Institute gave the gin well-above-average scores of 93, 94 and 95 between 2007 and 2011. It’s my second favorite Gin, with Blue Sapphire my number one. It has notes of whatever that liquid is that a cucumber leaves at the bottom of your fridge as it enters its death throes and final incontinence. It likely needs no introduction.

It’s thee two notes that I think make Hendrick’s standout. It’s no longer the only game in town, but it’s still a game worth checking out. The nose certainly has juniper, but I find the musky hint of rose lightens it and gives it a floral forward impression. I still think Hendrick’s Gin is a well made gin. Hendrick’s Gin launched in 1999.

Sweet orange, lime zest and a hint of elderflower as well. I had it for the first time in a good bar, and it seemed like it was lost after the first sip. Notes of soaked rose petal, lime, Persian cucumbers, Earl Grey Tea and a surprising bitterness. Please fill out the following form to send us a message. But that doesn’t mean I’m a novice at drinking gin and martinis—I started that about 20 years ago, and almost exclusively bombay sapphire (sad to say). The Hendrick's Gin Distillery Ltd, THE GIRVAN DISTILLERY, GIRVAN, KA26 9PT The still is then heated by an external steam jacket to boil the liquid. Yes, it’s cucumber, but I like cucumber…and like I said, it’s not over-the-top citrus and cucumber like Uncle Val’s (which I still like a lot, on occasion).

Couldn’t believe people raved about Hendricks.

Hendrick’s Gin launched in 1999. The Hendrick’s dirty Martini is something of an underground specialty. I respect the reviews of those who give me more substance and who acknowledge in their review that others may have a different opinion and that is fine with them. Highly Recommended. And I think the popularity of this gin is the reason why distillers have felt emboldened to try wilder and newer things. Not the value of it’s high price!! In contrast, the spirit derived from the Carter-Head still is much more subtle with light floral and sweet fragrances. Average folks are tired of the peculiar marketing, the cucumber shaped blimps and the reverse marriage proposals.

I thoroughly dislike this gin. Hendricks is one of them—when I want “something different”, something more flavorful without being over the top (like, say, Uncle Val’s Botanical). The two stills produce strikingly different styles of gin due to their different construction and methods of distillation. HENDRICK'S GIN, 41.4% ALC./VOL I can get a 1.75 liter of Beefeater for $5 less than 1 liter of Hendrick’s in NY. ..as some have said I too am no gin expert either and my gin drinks consist of gin & tonics.

They lost it. The original HENDRICK'S GIN, oddly infused with Rose and Cucumber. All botanicals used with the Carter-Head are added to a flavour basket at the very top of the still. One particular cocktail to me seems to have emerged as a gin drink of choice in places where you might not normally see people drinking gin nor cocktails. But if you’re going to mix olive brine and gin, it’s surprising how the juniper, citrus, and cucumber notes complement it so well. sounds like you’ve been drinking from a bottle that has been exposed to FAR too much heat or sun for FAR too long. [6], The Wall Street Journal described Hendrick's as the "Best Gin in the World" in 2003. Too modern. The Edwardian era advertising campaign has helped make the brand a stalwart both in bars and in homes. Gone. My wife insists on nothing less than Hendricks…so there it is…over and out. I think it’s average gin, there are much better options nowadays. I’m a new Gin drinker, so I guess take this with a gain of salt; I love this stuff! As these rise up through the still, they enter the base of the botanicals basket. I suppose if you don’t care for a strong gin and like the floral bouquet it would be OK–I like your “gateway” comment, but not for me. I won’t learn more in formation how can i do.thank you. Learn more about how we make our most delicious gin. The still is quite small, which allows most of the botanical flavour characteristics to pass into the spirit. Company No. Hendrick’s Gin was launched by William Grant & Sons at a time when gin wasn’t the diverse, thriving category it is today. The burden of generally being seen at the top of its game. Dirty Martinis are not my thing.

If you go to a dive bar and ask the bartender for a gin drink, it’s happened nearly half a dozen times where she’ll go to the olive tub and a bottle of Hendrick’s. Only the lighter, sweeter and floral flavours can be extracted by this method, which gives the spirit its distinctive character. When you want a martini that has that “extra something” to get your attention, but isn’t ridiculous, then Hendrick’s is it. I’d rather have Tanqueray 10, Portobello Road, Monkey 47, Bloom or any Warner Edwards gin. What I see as a newer gin drinker is that there are many, many choices out there and what could be better than that? Proudly touted as "a most unusual gin," Hendrick's Gin is a delightfully curious liquid with a unique character that stands out from the rest. Now it is bar booze.

When mixing it with tonic etc , it’s very light, have only few herbal tones, mostly juniper and coriander. Now that the dust is settling, there are a few that are now my “go to” gins. Other spirit ratings organisations generally have been very complimentary as well. [5], Hendrick's suggests that the gin be served with tonic water over ice garnished with cucumber instead of the traditional citrus. Tried a G&T with Fevertree… really meh, lack the bite in a proper G&T. Hendrick's Lunar. Company No. Hendrick’a Gin has with it the burden of history. Its method of production is quite different, with only the neutral spirit and water added to the pot. Hendrick's gin is bottled in a dark brown, apothecary-style bottle. But heard rumors that they where discontinuing. A dull warmth of the spirit emanates quietly from the back of the palate.

Some gin drinkers and cocktail aficionados may turn their nose up at the mere though of it; however, I find something oddly charming and delightful about it. You get the angelica, coriander, juniper and orris root accord.

I don’t follow anyone who pronounces any quality gin as some worthy only to pour down the drain. If you are near the Northamptonshire/ Leicestershire boarder Id recommend the Warner Edwards Gin tour. "[10], "Hendrick's Gin - It is not for everyone", Meet the Woman Who Invented Your Favorite Gin, "Lesley Gracie, Hendrick's Gin Master Distiller", "Proof66.com's Summary Page for Hendrick's Gin", "How gin became the choice of the adventurous drinker", Proof66.com Ratings and Reviews Aggregator for Identifying the Best Gin and Liquor, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Hendrick%27s_Gin&oldid=959318401, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 28 May 2020, at 05:37. sc236185 hendrick's gin, 44% alc./vol. A lot of what Hendrick’s does (and does well) set the stage for some of the contemporary gin fashions we see today. Not to long after this a friend gave me Bombay Sapphire, of which I was not a fan. Yes, still good. It likely needs no introduction. Inside, the botanicals are contained in copper baskets, which hold them together while allowing the vapours to be fully exposed. latest report on Consumer Taste Preferences in Gin. Even neat. … For me, this is how a classic G’n’T should taste. Midsummer Solstice. Ten. Here you will find a dazzling array of exquisite cocktail recipes. The World’s First (and Only) Somewhat Smart Speaker. Hendrick’s combines the two, marrying the best of the deeper flavors from the pot still, and the lighter flavor from the Carter-head. I gave it a shot, I don’t like it. A decade later she was tasked with creating a new super-premium gin. [2] It was invented by Lesley Gracie, a Yorkshire native, who was hired by William Grant & Sons to work in new liquid development for some of their products. This spirit is heavy, oily, and smells strongly of juniper. After blending the two distillates, they add rose and cucumber essence before dilution.

It’s a very specific kind of “gin basket” designed by the Carter Brothers. The first is a traditional copper pot still that can be found at many distilleries. Based on the advice of one of my favorite beverage providers. I’m working through the St. George line now and am really enjoying theirs.

I think it is vile.

In addition to the traditional juniper infusion, Hendrick's uses Bulgarian rose and cucumber to add flavour. It’s located on the south west coast of Scotland opposite the mysterious volcanic island of Ailsa Craig, the granite jewel of the firth of Clyde. A clear callback to gin’s forbears, the apothecary style bottle suggests comparison to Genevers and a time when gin was a medicine. This is probably the gin they’ll name. I just got into the whole gin obsession thing about 4-5 months ago. When I read the reviews on this site about the various gins, it reminds me of the opinions of those who drink Chardonnay wine – they will fight to the death about whether “oaky” or “buttery” are desirable traits for a Chardonnay. Botanicals are placed in a copper basket, and the vapor passes through them. This small-batch gin is produced by William Grant & Sons and infused with cucumber, rose and traditional juniper at the brand's Scottish distillery. [email protected]. The reimagining of HENDRICK'S GIN, certainly not for everyone. The still is filled with neutral spirit, and the botanical recipe added with some water. The bar near my apt ranks Hendricks below Bombay sapphire in terms of pricing and for that I thank them . The Hendrick's Gin Distillery Ltd, THE GIRVAN DISTILLERY, GIRVAN, KA26 9PT But the history of what it meant when it launched, and just how much impact Hendrick’s has had on the modern gin market should not be forgotten. And it is now much overpriced. This was my first neat gin and I’m so glad. Rather than boiling the botanicals, which produces the strong pungent spirit of the Bennett still, the Carter-Head bathes the botanicals in the alcohol vapours only. I was struggling to drink 4cl of it neat, which I usually drink as aperative. Highly Recommended. The Aldi £10 bottle is very good value and I’d say better than Sapphire. I really don’t get Bombay Sapphire at all, it’s nothing special, but I haven’t tried Bombay Star. Much stronger than Beefeater, Gordon’s etc. It’s very obvious by the tour the amount of passion that goes into their product.

It’s very hot, strong peppery when drinking neat, very unpleasant. to name a top shelf gin. I’m no expert but I know what I like. HENDRICK'S GIN, 44% ALC./VOL. A decade later she was tasked with creating a new super-premium gin. I do not found any cucumber or rose pedals there. As the pot begins to boil, vapours move up the short column of the still to the condenser, where they condense and are collected. I will share my OPINION at that point. Hendrick's Gin Born in 1999, Hendrick’s Gin is distilled in the decidedly un-ginnish tiny seaside town of Girvan. [3][4] In addition to the traditional juniper infusion, Hendrick's uses Bulgarian rose and cucumber to add flavour. Hendrick's uses a blend of spirits produced from a Carter-Head Still (constructed in 1948), of which there are only a few in the world, and a small pot still, built in 1860 by Bennett, Sons & Shears. The bitterness of the Campari amplifies the bitterness that the gin seems to bring on its own, while juniper rises to the fore. It’s been so typed I decided to buy a bottle, and no difference.

Like to know if its true . I had it years ago and I did not care for it, especially as a fan of Tanqueray No. The Edwardian era advertising campaign has helped make the brand a stalwart both in bars and in homes. Worthy for fans of classic gins to dip their toes into the world of contemporary gins, and a good gin to start someone on if they’re unsure of gin. Hendrick’s Gin was launched by William Grant & Sons at a time when gin wasn’t the diverse, thriving category it is today.