This is Tom -- husband, kitchen companion, and co-author of my two cookbooks. All that time indoors provides many opportunities for cooking – but also for making culinary mistakes. Click here to see the recipe: French Onion Chicken Casserole.

So I threw in another half a cup of raw lentils and kept the pot simmering for another half an hour. To make Tomato Fennel Soup: Heat 1 Tbs. In Michele Scicolone’s 1,000 Italian Recipes, I found Lentil and Fennel Soup, a combination I’d never tried before. Add ½ chopped bulb of fennel and cook for 5 minutes. And it was a very good soup, a perfect antidote to damp, chilly, winterish weather, and better than I deserved, for my carelessness. Really quick and easy soup to make. Heat the butter in a large, deep (preferably non-stick) sauté pan, over a medium heat, add the sliced fennel (NOT the strips of fennel), sliced leek and finely chopped garlic, and sauté, while stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until the fennel, leeks and garlic are beginning to soften. 20.8 g Fennel has long been a central ingredient in many Asian (it’s a main component in the Chinese five spice powder), Middle Eastern and European dishes. Our 22 Best Crock Pot and Slow-Cooker Recipes, Chilled Fennel-Grapefruit Velouté with Lemon Olive Oil, Chilled Sour Cherry Soup with Fennel & Sour Cream. ( Log Out /  What a soup! Cover with 2 pints (1 liter) of water and a cube of chicken stock. In Michele Scicolone’s 1,000 Italian Recipes, I found Lentil and Fennel Soup, a combination I’d never tried before. ( Log Out /  This soup is best made in a large, deep (preferably non-stick) sauté pan with a lid. Chef Eliodoro Xicum Cobá is the Fine Dining Lovers Food for Thought Award winner for the Latin America Region. Instant Pot Buttery Garlic Mashed Potatoes, 40 Easy-Peasy Thanksgiving Side Dishes Ideas, 33 Non-Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner Ideas, 12 Thanksgiving Cocktails We’re Grateful For, How To Make the Very Best Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipe, Instant Pot Turkey Breast with Garlic-Herb Butter, Creamy Garlic Tuscan Salmon With Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Garlic Butter Chicken Bites with Lemon Asparagus, Garlic Butter Chicken with Spinach and Bacon. If you've never cooked with fennel, try it! As soon as I started adding water, the carrots and onions floated to the top, where they congregated and obscured the water level. Food and Wine presents a new network of food pros delivering the most cookable recipes and delicious ideas online. Looking to amp up your beef stew but unsure where to start? I assembled chopped ingredients for half a recipe’s worth: fennel, carrot, onion, potato, and tomato; plus small ditalini pasta and, of course, the lentils. Add the … Contact - Nutrition & Medical disclaimer - Please calculate your OWN nutrition information in a database using the brand names you have at hand. Then, flip over the pieces of fennel. Each brand is different and nutrition information can vary. Fresh Fennel SoupServe this fast soup with a sprinkle of chopped fennel tops.

How to make a creamy fennel soup. Legal. Simmer over a low heat for about 15 minutes.

I still have a bag of those good lentils left. 1. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam.

All Rights Reserved. Add the new potatoes and fennel and sauté for 2-3 minutes.

If ever I ever get over my chagrin enough to make this soup again, I may double the quantity of fennel – that is, assuming I can manage to read the other recipe instructions properly!

* The presented values are approximate and shouldn't be considered as accurate. A trivial thing, of course: hardly a problem there. Once the vegetables are lightly colored (2 or 3 minutes), add a diced potato, garlic and some sprigs of parsley. Its flavour really is unique. 6 %, , thoroughly washed, 2 thinly sliced, and 1 cut in half lengthways, and then cut into 4cm strips (for garnish), cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock, salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste. This soup is suitable both for day-to-day meals and for dinner parties. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Click on the photo to visit his blog, "Tom's Wine Line.". Strawberry, Tomato and Fennel GazpachoThis healthy, vegetarian soup is perfect for a warm spring day.

Copyright © 2011 - 2020 Eatwell101, a Reach Media Inc. company - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Had I not used enough lentils? Fresh Pea Soup with HamFennel adds vibrant flavor to this excellent take on split pea soup. . We use the USDA Nutrition database to provide nutritional information for most recipes in our database. To keep it strictly vegetarian, make it with a vegetable stock. 4. 5. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account.

. Chef Marvin Palomo won the Acqua Panna Award for Connection in Gastronomy for the North America Region. Next time I make it, I’m going to substitute a cup of wine for one of the cups of stock, adding it during the 15 minutes while the soup is simmering. If you've never cooked with fennel, try it! This site uses Akismet to reduce spam.

Arrange these tiles correctly to reveal something delicious! We’ve assembled a list of 50 of the world’s most reliable, inexpensive wines – bottles that offer amazing quality for their price year in and year out. Learn how your comment data is processed. OUR USER AGREEMENT (updated 08/21/2020) AND PRIVACY POLICY (updated 08/21/2020). I’m still surprised that neither batch of lentils suffered at all from their respectively too long and too short cooking times. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. 3. Tom is also an award-winning wine writer. 7 Best Fennel Soups From creamy split pea soup to healthy gazpacho, here are seven ways to use fennel in soup. But neither Tom’s nor my palate could detect a difference. Terms of use - I had a supply of good brown lentils from Italy, so I thought it would be nice to use some in a soup that would be different from the version I usually make. That actually wasn’t as simple as it sounds. before, so it’s a first try… and it’s downright delicious! ( Log Out /  . This is a deliciously flavoursome soup blending herbs and spices with fennel and leeks. This time, I’d failed to note that the quantity of lentils I needed was not half a cup but half a pound. Faq - From creamy split pea soup to healthy gazpacho, here are seven ways to use fennel in soup. Cook the fennel for 30 minutes. Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.

Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Set the pan in which the fennel, leek and garlic were sautéed aside, for re-use later. .

Fresh fennel bulbs and the plant's herbaceous fronds are terrific in all kinds of spring dishes. Cooking instruction: Fennel Soup. The other day, careless recipe reading made me nearly ruin a hearty lentil soup.

I knew I hadn’t added that much extra water. The presented values are approximate and shouldn't be considered as accurate.

The flotilla did cause me to add more water than called for, but I was sure it could be boiled off during the cooking.

Really quick and easy soup to make. The vegetables simmered for 30 minutes, and then I was to add the tomatoes along with salt, pepper, and olive oil, and continue cooking for 20 minutes. 7. Learn how your comment data is processed. ; Add the potato, fennel seeds and white wine and simmer for about 10 minutes. 1. USE OF AND/OR REGISTRATION ON ANY PORTION OF THIS SITE CONSTITUTES ACCEPTANCE OF .

Bulb fennel is still available in my neighborhood, so that was an easy choice. If you don’t have a blender in your kitchen, here’s a selection of good products you can find on Amazon.com: Make sure to read: learn to bake beets in oven, Your email address will not be published. After 20 minutes, my lentils were still barely visible, hunkering down among the other vegetables, and the soup was looking pretty thin.