You can substitute your favorite flavorings for the vanilla extract. Learning how to make frosting on your own starts with learning the interesting balance in consistency needed for the kind of cake you’re making. At last I got it. It doesn’t need to be completely cool (do not put in the refrigerator), but it shouldn’t go directly from the stovetop to the egg mixture. How To Make Homemade Frosting. The biggest risk factor here is overbeating your cream cheese.

", "I needed to make a frosting to decorate with, and this was perfect. No. Yes, because granulated or superfine sugar are not fine or refined enough to form the paste-like consistency that the confectioner's sugar develops. Combine the water and mixture in the pan and mix until the sugar dissolves. You’ll find various recipes with many slight variations, but these should function as a good starting point for those wanting to start small. Every day at wikiHow, we work hard to give you access to instructions and information that will help you live a better life, whether it's keeping you safer, healthier, or improving your well-being. Chocolate Variation: Cut the powdered sugar down to 2 1/2 cups (312 g) of powdered sugar and add 3/4 cup (75 g) of unsweetened cocoa powder.

Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 3,593,029 times. Yes, but only if you're boiling the sugar with water to dissolve the granules leaving only the taste of sugar, therefore making a syrup. This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Do not feel obligated to use all of the confection sugar if you feel the consistency is at a place you want it. But it was still, "I didn't have cream cheese on hand; I was making a strawberry cake and needed some kind of frosting. Store leftover buttercream frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It could also make guests sick. To make a simple buttercream frosting, start by beating the butter with an electric mixer until it's smooth. What will happen if I overcook the icing? We earn commission for purchases made through our links. Add in the vanilla extract and a pinch of salt and mix well. My children will love these cookies. Tested. Try mixing in 1/4 cup (30 g) to see if it's thick enough. Take it a fourth cup at a time to avoid pockets of unmixed confection sugar, and to gauge how thick you want it to be. Finish by adding the vanilla extract and salt before mixing well. Take a look at our latest tutorials below. When you add the last third of the sugar, beat in 1/2 cup (50 grams) of cocoa powder too. For a classic, sweet frosting, beat together softened butter with powdered sugar. To learn how to make delicious chocolate or cream cheese frosting, keep reading! wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. Please note: This site is part of the Amazon affiliate program. Whip egg whites and vanilla until it forms soft peaks when the whisk is removed. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}. If the butter is cold, it will make the frosting lumpy. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/6\/6c\/Make-Frosting-Step-12-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Frosting-Step-12-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/6\/6c\/Make-Frosting-Step-12-Version-2.jpg\/aid21009-v4-728px-Make-Frosting-Step-12-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":259,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"410","licensing":"

\u00a9 2020 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. By using this service, some information may be shared with YouTube. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. Unless you have a dietary restriction that requires you use substitutes, do not use almond milk or fake butter. It will be very fluffy and not very supportive. You'll need around 1 1/2 cups of frosting for the top of a cake. Beat only until it’s malleable. Play around with other cream cheese frosting flavors. You’ll find various recipes with many slight variations, but these should function as a good starting point for those wanting to start small. This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness.

Do you have any tips on how to make frosting? To fix this, you can try to refrigerate it or add more powdered sugar, but it won’t be a perfect solution.

Now you may be asking, how many different kinds of frosting are there? You could stir 1/2 teaspoon (1 g) of pumpkin pie spice into it, for instance. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/5\/5a\/Make-Frosting-Step-11-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Frosting-Step-11-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/5\/5a\/Make-Frosting-Step-11-Version-2.jpg\/aid21009-v4-728px-Make-Frosting-Step-11-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":259,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"410","licensing":"

\u00a9 2020 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. If using salted butter, omit the pinch of salt. To make colorful frosting, beat in a few drops of liquid food coloring until it's as vibrant as you like. While flavors may vary, the types of frosting are limited, but you should still know the key differences. This frosting should generally be used on delicate cakes. Any kind? This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website.