Presenting a new way to party together—virtually. Celebrating perfectly toasted toast time: Set toaster to desired setting. When I called him to talk about his bread and, consequently, the wildly popular toast at The Mill—the San Francisco establishment he co-runs with FourBarrel Coffee—he spoke with as much enthusiasm as a kid talking about his brand-new bicycle. Here's how to make the perfect slice of SF-style toast, according to the master. "We cut our bread pretty thick," says Baker. Real Simple may receive compensation when you click through and purchase from links contained on I tried everything before: hair straightener, campfire roasting, BOILING (great minds think alike ), and even the infamous and terrifying broiler. xD. and still cracking up at ourselves, too, for not yet being totally sure it was a joke yet when we got to the 45 min part. You need the following: Anyone who tries to tell you that you need anything else is just trying to sell you something. , I am so happy I came across your site. Thank you for all the great and delicious recipes, without them I don’t know where I’d be xoxoxo, The testing was rigorous and wasn’t easy work but someone had to do it! Made with products you probably have on hand. Sam, you helped be so much today. Arguably the greatest thing since sliced bread, today’s toast recipe is guaranteed to earn a spot in your recipe repertoire after your very first bite. All

I’ve included a step-by-step how-to video below the recipe! Because no matter how good the bread, how hot the toaster, and how tattooed the toast maker, nothing can stop toast from getting soggy, eventually. Thanks again! Do not eat if toast becomes moldy. I don’t know. Then they slather on things like pumpkin butter, berry preserves, or homemade Nutella.

I don’t know about peanut butter and jelly, I will have to get some ingredients and do some testing and research.

Toaster, Butter…What else do I need again?

Feasting may look a little different this year. Arguably the greatest thing since sliced bread, today’s toast recipe is guaranteed to earn a spot in your recipe repertoire after your very first bite. All rights reserved.Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20).Bon Appétit may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our affiliate partnerships with retailers.Your California Privacy RightsThe material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast.

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail.

Carefully remove your toast from the toaster. Until you can buy Baker's book on bread, on shelves April 15, you can't make his bread; but you can steal his toasting technique. "Josey Baker's pro toast tip: Eat it as fast as you can." Being the center of attention can make the … "Hipster Toast," as the phenomenon is being called by outraged and genuinely befuddled media outlets, has taken San Francisco by storm, with iterations at bakeries and cafés around the city. ¹For gluten-free toast, please use gluten-free bread. But the thickness allows you to fully appreciate the crispy surface and the soft, tender inside, which brings us to... Yeah, we're serious about our toast, too (here's writer Danielle Walsh actually measuring her toast at The Mill), "You want to put it into a super-hot toaster," Baker says. Check out my YouTube channel where I show you exactly how I make this recipe step-by-step in my own kitchen.

Push down the lever and allow your bread to become toast. For the best toast, start with a whole fresh loaf. we ACTUALLY thought maybe you were going to share some very special secrets for how to get toast that is nice and crisp on the outside without also being mouth-shredder bread. You don't want a cracker—you want a piece with a lot of crunch and flavor on the outside, and a moist, tender, soft inside.". That coveted slice can run you upwards of $4. Before any other toppings, the toast team spreads down a layer of butter. The answer is equally valid: Because it's really, really good. I realize there's a small amount of absurdity, here," Baker admitted.

"From start to finish, each loaf takes about 36 hours," he explained, describing how The Mill stone-grinds all its whole-grain flours in-house, and how all its bread is made with a sourdough starter—a more difficult and temperamental method of bread-making than using commercial yeast. Insert comic relief with a light ribbing. These all-in-one recipes are wholesome, simple and affordable. And while The Mill was not the first to create a thick-sliced, Nutella-topped piece of artisanal toast, Baker and his crew have certainly perfected the art. "It's a really critical, Stacks of freshly baked Josey Baker bread. This is sooo hard. Get Toast Delivered. Today I’m sharing my family’s favorite recipe for homemade toast! Steve Faber, the screenwriter of the movies “Wedding Crashers” and “We’re the Millers,” shares his top toasting points. "You want the bread to still have a lot of life in it. Your email address will not be published. Will be used in accordance with our user agreement and privacy policy. Too high and you will burn your toast and your friends will likely abandon you. Toast is best eaten fresh! Sometimes, the toppings will be as simple as cinnamon and sugar. Basically, to take your toast from snack to meal, just cut it thicker. Basically, to take your toast from snack … I’ll get back to you on that. I hope that these recipes are helpful!

Serge Bloch. So we asked him about it. Real Simple is part of the Meredith Home Group. Thanks so much for commenting. Thanks and keep up the great work! (Key word: light. Expert tips to improve your skin complexion and texture, All products and services featured are selected by our editors. We did a taste test with all the best salted butters we knew of, and they won."

These simple stretches reduce muscle tension and stiffness. Thanks for using my recipes, Anna , O M G… we knew that your site was THE PLACE to go for recipes for everything, so when we saw that you had a very special method for making toast we were intrigued. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. this website. To get a nice crust—as with a steak—you need to get your toaster screaming hot. If this is your first time making toast I strongly recommend that you first watch the how-to video (below the recipe). Adjust the dial or lever on the toaster or toaster oven to your desired darkness. You can also subscribe without commenting. The thing some people can't get over? (And, yes, Baker is his real last name.) But that's only because, first and foremost, he is a baker. Real Simple may receive compensation for some links to products and services in this email on this website. I don’t know what to do for that one. Mid-range is usually best. Slice It Thicker. Why no Hipster Toast?) "Our rye bread, our most dense bread, we slice the thinnest, a little over a centimeter. Today I’m sharing my family’s favorite recipe for homemade toast! we CRACKED UP when we started reading and then we knew, okay, she must have posted this on april 1st. Please read my.

"We cut our bread pretty thick," says Baker. I will need to share this recipe with some people who claim they don’t know how to cook nor prepare not even one single item. Nothing, I repeat NOTHING, has worked as well as this.

Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake Dessert Shooters {No Bake}. ", Josey Baker takes his toast seriously. All you need is bread and a toaster and you too can make show-stopping toast for your friends in under 45 minutes! Too funny! There are even reports of Hipster Toast reaching as far as L.A. (What's up, NYC? Are you more of a visual learner? Be careful, it’s warm. All you need is bread and a toaster and you too can make show-stopping toast for your friends in under 45 minutes!

"I have an infrared thermometer gun for testing our toasters, and our toasters get up to 750 degrees." Baker sprinkles a flurry of Maldon sea salt onto everything from cream cheese to almond butter for that extra hit of flavor. Like everything else, season your toast. If you are looking for something more exotic, please see my French Toast recipe. "That means actually using bread that isn't really old," says Baker, striking down the myth that you should make toast with older bread. I think you have it covered, but be sure to check out my step by step video. It's your job to raise a glass to the newlyweds, see tips for making a wedding toast. . To make toast with a toaster, place a slice of bread in the toaster and push down the handle, or select the "toast mode" if you are using a toaster oven. Once you have gathered your ingredients the fun can begin. Also, if I may suggest a good recipe for making more ice when one runs out in the freezer. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I figured since you’ve mastered ice and toast, could you post a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich sometime?

LOVE IT.

The one caveat? Assemble your toaster by plugging it carefully into the proper outlet. "We had no idea that this was going to happen—I just wanted to create a way for people to eat my bread that wasn't buying a whole loaf.

Especially at The Mill. Credit: Expert advice to identify and eliminate household odors. However, you may allow to cool completely to room temperature and then place in a ziploc bag to be eaten at your leisure at another time. Don't subscribe "If you don't get good bread, you're fucked. "We use a butter that happens to be made in a dairy an hour north of San Francisco, McClelland's.