. Recipe by Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook. Hello Eha! Thank you for the recipe!

Yay! The flavors are very subtle, very complex, and very delicious. Add them to the pot and saute until they are clear. Please do not use my images without my permission. I tried to cook clam for the first time (by looking at your recipe as well as how to de grit and de salt the clams).. You’re awesome!!!!!! Food writer, recipe developer, and blogger who has published hundreds of Japanese home-cooking recipes. . I hope you enjoyed this Japanese Sake Steamed Clams! Please see my How to De-Grit and Clean Clams post. . Put water, kombu and clams in a saucepan and start cooking on medium heat. !! Hope you had a nice holiday season. I often taste sand/grit in them, and you don’t want to experience that while eating your delicious clams. If you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #justonecookbook — We love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter! Thank you for sharing, and hope your family will enjoy this dish! Thanks for sharing the recipe Nami! How to Make Japanese Clam Chowder. However this dish requires a bit of chili pepper. Thank you. Sake brings out amazing flavors from the clams; simplicity at its best! The classic Japanese Clear Clam Soup is made with kombu dashi broth and Manila clams. Maybe I’ll do some mussels with it, too. Use of this website is subject to mandatory arbitration and other terms and conditions, select. You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. The most commonly used Awase Dashi made with kombu and katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes) is a bit too strong and it might ruin the flavors coming from the clams, so I wouldn’t recommend using it. If you’re interested, other variations of asari sumashijiru incorporate the use of a bonito (katsuo) based dashi stock, or the use of a dashi konbu (dried kelp) stock, and a hint of soy sauce. I recommend doing this even though the package or fish mongers say “ready to use”. Serve four to five clams in small soup bowls and pour broth over them.

butter at the end, which adds extra flavor… really delicious! My mother always loved spicy food despite being Japanese. So did my father and as kids, we embraced it! . It’s a bit hard to describe, but the Japanese believe the magic in sake and the big difference it makes with a dish. * – belonged in a gourmet dinner group of four couples . “Clear broth” or Sumashi-jiru (すまし汁) doesn’t mean it’s plain water. Sad to be separated by distance. I'm Nami, a Japanese home cook based in San Francisco. The clams will get chewy and hard when you cook for a long time, so turn off the heat and serve. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website. If you are familiar with Japanese cuisine, you probably know that we rarely use chili peppers as an ingredient. Use of this website is subject to mandatory arbitration and other terms and conditions, select. Your email address will not be published. De-grit clams by soaking them into a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and add freshly ground black pepper and green onion. It’s interesting. She was the second oldest and her older brother died very young. Hi Claudia! The broth becomes a cloudy gray color with delicate flavors of the sea, and that's when we know it’s ready. There are many other ways to make sake-steamed clams, such as adding a little bit of butter at the end. Something I need to work on too. Required fields are marked *. Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! No-bake clam dip is a quick and easy …

Have fun exploring the 700+ classic & modern Japanese recipes I share with step-by-step photos and How-To YouTube videos. This post may contain affiliate links. Hi Lin! had not degritted but shook the pot to bits hoping to get eight serves of open beasties: well, you can imagine the disaster as far as the wine cooking sauce was concerned can’t you .

I love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, & Twitter! Add the clams and a red chili pepper. At least I stay in contact with two of my younger cousins on FB. If you have extra time, I recommend adding kombu in water first to let it seep for a longer time.

To bring out the flavors of this delicate broth, very small strips of lemon peel are used to garnish the soup. The soup is seasoned with salt to taste.

Creamy Clam Dip With Homemade Pita Chips. . Even though they are “ready to use”, I highly recommend doing this process. A perfect Japanese dish. Please do not use my images without my permission. If you’d like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link to this post as the original source.

She would brown flour and S&B curry powder in the skillet then add hot pepper, white pepper, etc. Buy our best-selling e-cookbook for 33 more easy and simple recipes! If you’d like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link to this post as the original source. We have to do our best to stay in touch with family and relatives in a regular basis. Your parents are very cool!!! Design by. Add fresh clams in their shells, directly into the boiling water. https://www.justonecookbook.com/japanese-clam-soup-clear-broth If you make this recipe, snap a picture and hashtag it #JustOneCookbook. You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. When all the clams open up, add sake. All images and content on this site are copyright protected. This clear soup of clams is called asari (clam) no (of) sumashijiru and pairs wonderfully with any Japanese meal. Japanese Clam Soup (Asari No Sumashijiru). Place the lid and steam on high heat for a few minutes until all the clams open. As Japan is surrounded by the ocean, we have abundant fresh seafood to enjoy with our soups. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. This light flavorful soup takes only a few ingredients and 15 minutes to prepare. Seven Easy Japanese Dishes to Try at Home, Pasta With Mixed Seafood (Pasta alla Posillipo), Clam Measures, Equivalents, Weights and Substitutions.