Can’t wait to try your recipe tomorrow!!!

Tender udon noodle served in savory dashi soup, topped with chicken, carrots, shrimp tempura, kamaboko, and mushrooms. I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed this recipe with your family. Deep fry at 340-350 ºF (170-180 ºC) until golden brown.

Aww thank you so much for your kind words. The origins of this noodle was inspired from a type of noodle in China called “cu mian”, where the recipe was brought over to Japan … Hi Kimmi! Hi Tang! I would love see an extra page on your site that helps us to understand the cooking implements you use and the serving dish ware. Hi Nami, Another keeper for me. Udon should not be overcooked. Cook the frozen udon noodles in boiling water for 30 seconds (no need to defrost). I'm Nami, a Japanese home cook based in San Francisco. Slice up the mushrooms and add them to the pan Wish I can send you a pot of Nabeyaki Udon! Hi Jeanine! Something to think about. Thank you! But my knowledge was limited, so I always ended up cooking ‘fusion’ kind or the same thing over and over again. your site is perfect.

I read online that the weight is increased 3 times after being cooked. Some scholars date the first appearance of udon in Japan … Heat up the oil in a pan, add the garlic, onion and ginger and stir for 10-15 seconds. Besides udon noodles, the soup usually includes chicken, kamaboko (fish cake), mushrooms, and vegetables such as spinach, long green onion (Negi), and carrot. The most time-consuming part for me was making shrimp tempura from scratch. Each frozen udon package is 250 gram.

Hi Gio! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you, Thank you Kelly! Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Hope you enjoy making this dish this winter! Thanks for this and all your other recipes and this wonderful website. Hello Nami! Have tried out few recipes, and love the simple instructions for cooking. Basically it’s for dusting the shrimp before dipping in the batter (so the batter will stick to shrimp better).

this is awesome! thank you so much for sharing this! Thank you very much!

Presumably by this stage the Udon Noodles had already been cooked (say according to the instructions on the pack). Nabeyaki Udon (鍋焼きうどん) is a hot udon noodle soup traditionally served in individual donabe (earthenware pot) or iron pots.

Thanks so much for your kind feedback! Thank you so much! Thank you so much for following! Soak dried shiitake mushrooms in water to rehydrate for 15 minutes. Your email address will not be published. Have fun exploring the 700+ classic & modern Japanese recipes I share with step-by-step photos and How-To YouTube videos. Hi Nami , i found all the ingredients at a japanese store in SF but i dot have the hot pots with lids to cook it in , if i cook it in a normal pan I guess i transfer it carefully scooping in a bowl? Hi Jeanie!

Again, thank you! .

I really feel like congratulating myself Thank you, Nami! Hi Nikolai! Unless you put a lot of meat, it should be okay. Please do not use my images without my permission. Slice the carrot. Thanks to you I am Learning…. It’s perfect for the snowy and wet weather that we’ve been having in the Northeast… =) I also love how personalized the size of your nabe pot is. , Hi Cassandre! I was thinking something like an amount the size of a dime in cross-section per person, but this seems much more quantifiable, lol. I added that I used Awase Dashi. Hi Jayne!

When boiling again, turn off the heat and set aside. You can make your variations with toppings you enjoy if you make it at home. Nami, I’ve been sick all week and finally felt up to giving this a try.

I live in the U.S. but many of things can be purchased here, so I feel like nothing is so “special”… but if you have never seen a clay pot like this or serving ladle (which are pretty common in Japanese restaurants here), it can be an interesting topic! I hope you enjoy this recipe! Interesting!

Thanks again for your hard work and for sharing this! Oh my god, I love Nabeyaki Udon.

Now, thanks to your blog, I improve so much in my knowledge and cooking Japanese food.

So cute!

Hope you will like this recipe with tofu! Use of this website is subject to mandatory arbitration and other terms and conditions, select. Udon is a type of thick noodle popular in Japanese cuisine, usually made with wheat and is served hot as a mildly flavoured noodle soup.

Japanese Ingredient Substitution: If you want to look for substitutes for Japanese condiments and ingredients, click here.

My family is a big fan of Japanese food (to the point where we think we must be Japanese in our previous lives) and Japanese cooking ingredients are always in my grocery list. Add udon soup and cover with the lid. Hi Judy! You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. Thank you for the easy to follow directions and for making me look like I know what I’m doing . Your photography is amazing! I have an online site, and was looking for Nabeyaki udon and found your recipe site!

A major bonus is how quick and easy it is to make! The instruction on the package is for making udon as noodle soup, like Kitsune udon, etc. Thank You for making this possible!!!!

Yay! Thank you very much for your kind feedback! I also noticed something leaning against the crockery that looks like it is made of wood., but we don’t see the entire item. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us! I’m not always a big fan of frozen ready-made food BUT sometimes it’s so convenient to just put the premade tempura on top of Nabeyaki Udon and the whole meal gets much better. To make shrimp tempura, follow this instruction to clean the shrimp and make them straight.

Hi Martin! If you’d like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe and link to this post as the original source. Lightly dust the shrimp with potato starch/cornstarch before dredging the shrimp in the batter. I’m so happy to hear you like my recipes. Fantastic meal, really happy we made it. I apologize for the incomplete recipe instructions. Can I ask whether I can deep fry a bit more at one go and leave the extra pieces for next day’s rice ball filling by just heating them up in the toaster? I understand about the ⅓ cup shiitake dashi just not sure about which type of Dashi from your “How To make Dash” guide to use. Cut off the stems if there are any and score a cross on top like this and set aside (use it later for topping). You guys are having a really cold winter this year. Soak the spinach in iced water to prevent overcooking.

In lightly salted boiling water, blanch the spinach starting from the stem side for 1 minute. Nabeyaki Udon (鍋焼きうどん) is a hot udon noodle soup traditionally served in individual donabe (earthenware pot) or iron pots. , I love nabeyaki udon. Me too! Cook Time 10 minutes. What am I dusting with it? I was wondering, is there a brand you recommend/prefer? Yes this pot is used for cooking and serving at the same time. Absolute delight! Hi Zach! Simply make dashi (soup stock), add udon and ingredients you like in a pot, and cook! Yes, they have it in a jar.

Your email address will not be published.

First I would like to say I really love your recipes, I grew up on japanese food because I live in a highly asian area, and I love it, but your recipes are even better than some of the homemade Japanese food I’ve eaten at my friends’ houses!!

It’s encouraging me to shop for a smaller one for easier cooking and portioning when I eat by myself. Design by, (15 cm; use white part, or leeks + green onions/scallions), (6.3 oz/180 g dry udon noodles; 1.1 lb/500 g frozen/boiled udon noodles), (see below for instructions; you can buy frozen shrimp tempura and follow instructions to reheat as well), (reserved from rehydrating dried shiitake, see instructions), kosher/sea salt (I use Diamond Crystal; Use half for table salt). This is a delicious dish that can be made in less than 20 minutes! Add to the water and allow to soak for half an hour.

Udon soup is pure comfort in a bowl. It’s okay to make it fusion (and I do that with my own cooking with other cuisines), but if you can find authentic ingredients, do give them a try! Instead of Donabe that I used for this recipe, you can simply use a regular pot/saucepan with a lid.

Look forward to trying it! Thanks so much for sharing the Japanese cuisine, ettiquet and culture. It’s so delicious. Bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Just cooked it! You need just enough water to cover the mushrooms and place a smaller bowl on top to keep the mushrooms submerged in water. I’m happy to hear you tried some recipes already. All images and content on this site are copyright protected.

I wanted you to know that I made Nabeyaki udon for my 93 year old mother last night for dinner and she was amazed! . Thanks so much for your kind feedback, Lyn!

If you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #justonecookbook — We love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter! . Congratulations to you for cooking more Japanese food! It’s just a little fancier than cooking ladle. Add the katsuobushi, bring back to the boil and immediately turn off the heat. I’m so happy to hear you like Japanese food. Oh… sorry… Some udon noodles are flat some are thin… hard to tell… just like pasta, use the similar measurement. . We’ll add it to the list of our fav recipes. To make the tempura batter, combine the tempura batter mix and water. Allow to stand until all the flakes have sunk to the bottom of the saucepan.

. I updated a little bit and hope it helps.

Sometimes we share a big pot, and each person serve the food into your bowl/plate, sometimes individual small pot like today’s post. Put the saucepan over a high heat and remove the konbu just before the water comes to the boil. The udon soup was very tasty ; wonderful flavor.

My mother is traditional old school Japanese and I’m so Americanized even though I was born in Japan that I really don’t know how to cook Japanese food. I noticed a lot of my friends order this too. Add an egg, spinach, and mitsuba and cover to cook until the egg is done to your liking. Hello! To make udon soup, you need to boil udon noodles, prepare the broth by bringing dashi to a boil and then adding in the soy sauce, mirin, and sugar, and then assemble by dividing the noodles into … but no matter, I’m so happy with the results, I feel better already! . Yay! Yes, I used the dried shiitake mushrooms for the topping too (it’s used at 12 o’clock, but it’s hard to see from the way I photographed….sorry!). Your questions and observation made me realize things that are “normal” for me maybe not be so for some people. This nabeyaki udon recipe (especially with step-by-step pictures) might seem long, and to be honest, it took quite a while for us to shoot the video. Shichimi Togarashi (Japanese seven spice), dashi (Japanese soup stock; click to learn more), carrot into a flower shape with a vegetable cutter, Green Bean Shiraae (Mashed Tofu Salad) いんげんの白和え, https://www.justonecookbook.com/shrimp-tempura/, https://www.justonecookbook.com/kitsune-udon/. Its been many years since that time and while I have been able to find and consume this at local Japanese restaurants, Am and so very happy to be able finally to make this and eat it at home!!!!

Let us know how it goes!.

My favorite udon is the frozen Sanuki Udon.

Recipe by Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook. BUT!

When it comes to a boil, leave the lid slightly open to let some steam out, or it will overflow.

Hi Lyn! , Hi Maureen! Ingredients. So happy to hear you liked it. Sign up for the free Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! What you see is the wooden scooper/ladle, which is only used for serving (we don’t use for cooking).