It seems like a horrible test case. CRIMINAL DEFENSE: A Scenario in a DMV Administrative Per Se Hearing.

the copper ASSUMES the driver is guilty until he (the driver)can prove otherwise. Lee Arbetman, Staff Director of Street Law, Inc. (formerly the National Institute for Citizen Education in the Law [NICEL]) in Washington, D.C., is Adjunct Professor of Law at Georgetown University Law Center and co-author of Street Law: A Course in Practical Law (West Publishing Company, 5th edition, 1994). Ethics education and research to make a difference in people’s lives. The 4A clearly has requirements to prevent “fishing expeditions” before the Founders even knew of that term.

They would NOT have proximate cause if the car is parked in front of my house or in my driveway and would have no right to search. the citizens against unreasonable search and seizure. CRIMINAL DEFENSE: Wobbler Felonies – Reduction to Misdemeanor – Expungement of Misdemeanor & of Felony.

Yeah, it’s hardly unusual to have a car in one person’s name that is driven almost exclusively by another person. It’s not the same situation. thought is that the amendment was written before modern technology, so how do Assume the following: You are a licensed driver, age 17. The underlying premise behind this practice in Kansas is that the following copper makes the assumption that the owner of the vehicle is a lawbreaker.

It’s stressful and a waste of time and could lead to all kinds of unpleasantness if the cop decides to go that way.

During my internship with the Boone PD I had the opportunity to see and learn how a law enforcement agency operates. Should the evidence from that search have been allowed to be the basis for a search warrant that resulted in Greenwood's conviction?

If the computer is wrong, oh well. Just a bit over 0.8 I would think. You know, ignoring the fact that the cop knows who owns the car, which absolutely IS relevant information. This idjit is going to cause the Supremes to give the gov’t a big win, and carve out a huge exception to the 4th Amendment that could easily go the other way with a more deserving case. Clearly this method of creating Probable Cause is wrong…a lot. The case is Kansas v. Glover. Cop stops you for speeding on interstate.

This is the underlying problem that needs to be fixed. With your version of “probable cause”, the police can just walk into a mosque and arrest everyone, since, statistically, Muslims are terrorists. We lost the protection of a warrant a loooooooong time ago with vehicles.

Company Registration No: 4964706. answer on the fact that the body cameras influence policing in a good or bad For example, a recent U.S. Supreme Court case involved a police officer who was patting down a suspect during a stop and frisk situation.

The Pennsylvania State University | It shouldn’t, but it does.

Officers at Boone PD often use their cameras for

Apparently, no assumption by an agent of the state, including sniffing dogs, is unreasonable these days. Body Cameras: A tool to keep officers accountable and the 4th My state recently passed a “hands-free” law and the cops in my county have started dressing up as road workers and surveyors to catch people driving while using their cell phones. I don’t cooperate at DUI/Drivers license/Immigration checkpoints.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable Reviewing the video footage often gives a better overview of the Swipe your license and if it is valid then your car turns on and your free to drive.

Again, constitutional violations abound when a cop doesn’t know something.

As a general proposition I’ll agree with that.

Maybe like the Concurring Opinion in the case Illinois v. Perkins some jurisdiction (in this instance Florida) will be influenced by the dissent and it will become part of that State’s case law (the Florida Case is Voltaire v. State (1997)), but for now the rule stands that a vehicle within the curtilage is covered under the Curtilage Rule and not the Vehicle Exception. The 4th Amendment protects our general presumption regarding our expectations of both privacy and autonomy regarding our own bodies.

I don’t even cooperate at DUI/Drivers license checkpoints.

Actually, the story above does make it perfectly clear – and yes, Glover was driving on a suspended license. straightforward. justice system, especially the ones that deal with the law enforcement.

storage devices and servers where the footage collected is stored. I agree.

Constitutional rights are optional. In which case perhaps we need to re-evaluate the suspension of licenses. Would this not be viewed be an opportunity to arrest me for having a [out of state and therefore illegal] handgun on my person, and provide sufficient probably cause to pull me over and demand to search my vehicle? Statistics aren’t woke, is that your point? What other arguments do you find in the judicial opinions expressed on both sides of this question? The The basic reasoning is that the case would create a bad precedent for an intrusion into the law pertaining to privacy within curtilage area. a.What are the two strongest arguments in Opinion A? the departments across the country, there will be some positive outcomes for

What exactly do you think “probable” cause is about, if not probability and statistics? Doesn’t seem that unreasonable to assume the owner is the driver.

Probable Cause: n. sufficient reason based upon known facts to believe a crime has been committed or that certain property is connected with a crime.

Right? No necessarily. Although, officers have the I considered myself well educated, but it wasn’t until I started reading on my own that I really grasped the problem with General Warrants and the Writs of Assistance. True, I was being far too generous with the term “criminal”. body cameras?

Katz was subsequently convicted of eight counts of transmitting wagering information by telephone-in other words, gambling. but statistics are at the heart of ‘probable cause’.

Boone, North Carolina, and servers the Boone community that includes two major the argument that the theory of effectiveness of body cameras is relatively use of technology. The wrong part is pulling over the car in the first place.

What is done is a random search on a plate hoping to get a hit. The

The cops in my town do that routinely. The police officer lifts up the tarp and sees the same license plate from a picture the officer was able to capture even though the rider was going 140 mph. question is how do officers record on private property? will let the individuals view the event from the officer’s perspective