A 13-year-old boy and his teacher have helped find a Viking treasure. Since the early 1900s, many glaciers around the world have been rapidly melting. Melting of the Antarctic ice sheet will cause sea level rises of about two and a half metres around the world, even if the goals of the Paris agreement are met, research has shown.. The absence of sea ice doesn't just threaten the top of the food chain, or the beluga whales we watch gently dipping along the ice edge, their deep breaths echoing across the silence of this remote region. World Wildlife Fund Inc. is a nonprofit, tax-exempt charitable organization (tax ID number 52-1693387) under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Earth's ice cover is shrinking. But something is happening under the ice that scientists don't fully understand. Melting ice in the mountains of Norway has revealed items that have been frozen there since traders passed through over 1,000 years ago. In turn krill and smaller fish feed on the zooplankton, big fish feed on the smaller fish and so it goes on up a food chain that includes whales, seals, sea birds, and even polar bears. Almost 90% is in Antarctica, while the remaining 10% is in the Greenland ice cap. The big difference between now and then? Icebergs are chunks of glacial ice that break off glaciers and fall into the ocean. How much and how quickly these Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets melt in the future will largely determine how much ocean levels rise in the future. First, reach out to your local elected officials to find out if your city has a disaster response plan for right now. As the climate warms, the inevitable response of the cryosphere is enhanced melting. Randal Jackson They even found a small shelter, which was probably used by travelers who got caught in bad weather at the top. The cryosphere is the part of the Earth system comprised of frozen water: ice sheets and glaciers, snow, permafrost and sea ice. World Climate Research Programme, The Working Group on Subseasonal to Interdecadal Prediction, Working Group on Numerical Experimentation, Subseasonal to Seasonal Prediction Project, Expert Team on Climate Change Detection and Indices, WCRP Coordination Office for Regional Activities (CORA), Clouds, Circulation & Climate Sensitivity, Regional Sea-level Change & Coastal Impacts. The items were in nearly perfect condition, giving historians a fresh look at life during Viking times. 2020 "It isolates the ice from the hot devil water sitting at the bottom waiting to come up" Wagner explains. "Inside this piece of ice is this microscopic forest; all these little bubbles, these little channels are home for these microscopic organisms.". By comparing the age of the items they’ve found, the scientists can tell a lot about how people used the pass in different ways at different times. If emissions continue to rise, the current rate of melting on the Greenland ice sheet is expected to double by the end of the century. Sea ice, on the other hand, is often compared to ice cubes in a glass of water: when it melts, it does not directly change the level of water in the glass. Specifically, the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets are the largest contributors of global sea level rise. They keep on melting, forming rivers and lakes, and are essential for human survival in many places across the world.

The tunic was made of wool and turned out to be around 1,700 years old. "We can put a deal in place that the status quo goes on or we can put a deal in place that has teeth, that will allow us to designate areas in the high seas for fully protected marine reserves," says Sune Scheller, Greenpeace's expedition leader. "These results say that human decisions about our energy systems are truly important in deciding how much sea level rise we face from melting of Greenland's ice. The scientists aren’t just excited about the items they’ve found.