As mentioned, El is the root of Elohim and is commonly used for the God of Israel; however, the word is also used of false gods like Molech or Baal. 20:7. Therefore, we need a shepherd that leads, provides, and protects us; a shepherd that gives us rest and makes sure that we lack nothing. God has left that in the hands of the temporal powers of whatever nation the person happens to live in. A large variety of names and titles are used in the New Testament to describe Jesus. ‘And the name of the city from that time on will be: THE LORD IS THERE (emphasis mine)’” (Ezekiel 48:35). Think on that for a minute! If there’s any one thing that is hard to do, that is to rip anything that has been crocheted or embroidered together. Listen to what Deuteronomy 6:4 says: “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one” (emphasis one). This plea contains an Old Testament Aramaic name for God, Mārē (Dan 2:47). In Rom. Look at Genesis 4:1: “Adam lay with his wife Eve, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Cain. Because of this, many have seen implications of Trinitarian doctrine in the use of Elohim. With the coming of the gospel, something new is revealed about God’s identity: Jesus Christ is included in his name, along with the Holy Spirit. The naming of God in the Bible is a matter of God’s saving self-revelation. Think of that!

He is the God who sees and knows our problems.

phrase of the same meaning, ‘the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob,’ Even man’s faith is a gift from God in salvation (Eph 2:8–9). Our God always goes before us. Likewise, despite the deference for God’s name, the Bible never tells us not to pronounce or say his name.1. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Like Moses, we must wait on the Lord and rely on him. God is El Elyon, the Most High God. word for God in the NT (1,318 times) is the Greek word theos (‘god’),

Old Covenant: the sons of Aaron were high priests of the earthly tabernacle and the sons of Levi were the priests, New Covenant: Christ is the High Priest in heaven, forever, of the heavenly tabernacle, 10.

5:10). It can be translated “Father” or “Dearest Father.” We see that it was the name that Jesus taught his disciples to use in the Lord’s Prayer. This essay is part of the Concise Theology series. Look at what Christ said about himself: “I am the good shepherd. Verse 20: “‘Teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you. There he stood! In the same way, David proclaimed that God was both Yahweh and also Lord of his life.

Let’s look it for what it’s really doing.

Similarly, when Israel fought, God went before them. Let’s understand some more about Jesus Christ, the only begotten, the only one. Box 1442 Hollister, California 95024-1442 Phone: 1-831-637-1875 Fax: 1-831-637-9616truthofgod.org, Then suddenly the veil of the temple was ripped in two from top to bottom, ‘Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you shall neither in this mountain nor in Jerusalem worship the Father.

Yahweh Shamma is the name given to the New Jerusalem, a future city that was prophesied by Ezekiel through a vision. Paul, in fact, often called himself a slave or servant of Christ (Phil 1:1).

Think on that! In what ways can you use the names of God in order to enhance your worship and prayer life? He healed the terminal sickness of our souls and drew us back to God. (a) The theophanies intimate the appearance of God in human form, and His ministry thus to man (Genesis 16:7-13; 18:2-23. especially v. 17; 32. If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him! As talked about in studying his sovereignty, we see his sovereignty over random events. 5:14). 13:15; 6:10). Lots of times we haven’t let the Spirit of God and the Word of God work in us to think on those things; that God loves us so much that He looks on us as He looks on Jesus Christ. In Scripture, a person’s name identified them and stood for something specific. “For great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised, he is to be feared above all gods.” (Psalm 96:4, ESV). (5) The book of Acts makes frequent mention of worship, service, and suffering in the name of Jesus Christ (Acts 4:18; 5:28, 41; 10:43; 19:17).

Jews were in the habit of pronouncing Adonai when they came to the name YHWH. New Covenant: we have good works, prayer, good deeds, fruits of the Holy Spirit, New Covenant: repentance and circumcision of the heart through baptism, 6. As in the OT , it emphasizes the continuity of Israel and the That’s why the New Testament is so much greater. One day, the judge, the master, the despot will come and judge us according to our faithfulness. Verse 20: “By a new and living way, which He consecrated for us through the veil (that is, His flesh).” When He died the veil was ripped in two. When we do this we reflect on our intimacy with God and his desire to provide for us as his children. The name Emmanuel tells us that God cares, understands, and that he wants to give grace. 1:17). How do you deal with a sinning professed believer who is not a church member? 16:5). First, we will look at Old Testament names and then New Testament names. The names of God were often used as a way to give praise and honor to God throughout the Scripture. We’re not going to get it because: The promise is here, that He will teach us, “...and shall bring to your remembrance everything that I have told you” (v 26). Every time we’ve had a Passover! “The Lord is my shepherd I shall not be in want” (Psalm 23:1).

The angels of the Lord of hosts are always watching the master, listening to his words. That’s what grace means, that God looks upon us as He is looking upon Jesus Christ! O LORD, our “Master” how majestic is your name.

He said that God will guard you with his angels in all your ways.

Emmanuel was one of the names used for Jesus, the messiah. There will come a time in your life—I’ve experienced it and I’m sure you have experienced it—when you will wonder, because of your own particular situation: Why has God left me alone and in such terrible circumstances?

And to this day it is said, “On the mountain of the LORD it will be provided” (emphasis mine). In the whole history of eternity—however long that is, the beginning and the ending—as far as what we are as being significant, we’re nothing. “Jesus is Lord (kyrios)” was the basic Christian confession, a confession that Jesus was indeed YHWH (Rom. Sin is in our bodies, and therefore, they decay and get old. (c) His virgin birth was foretold as the means through which God could be "Immanuel," God with us (Isaiah 7:13, 14 with Matthew 1:22, 23). Old Covenant: the people didn’t have the Holy Spirit, they obeyed in the letter of the law, New Covenant: we have the Holy Spirit and obey in the spirit of the law, 3.

7:21, ‘Not everyone that says to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the Kingdom of Heaven, but He that is doing the will of My Father Who is in heaven.’}. There’s something that God is performing. (1) Elohim: The plural form of EL, meaning “strong one.” It is used of false gods, but when used of the true God, it is a plural of majesty and intimates the trinity. Who has tens of thousands and millions of angels waiting on Him, Who controls the vastness of the universe through Jesus Christ, Who upholds every thing by the Word of His power. was appropriated sparingly by Israel, which understood it in an adoptive, not A much less common word for ‘Lord’ in the LXX, despoteµs (Gk., “How Does God’s Love in Christ Relate to Islam?”. and themselves as the agents who represent God and through whom God works (Matt.

4:22–23). These are the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet and thus represent We’re talking about the fact that God has given us everything that every human being out there walking around—that God hasn’t called—really wants. You have access to God the Father through Jesus Christ, His Son. This ought to help us tremendously to increase in faith, because when we know what it is God has done for us, this ought to inspire us and give us a great deal more confidence, faith and assurance. One of the reasons that we have not understood this in the way that God wants us to understand it, is because we, in the past, as a Church and people, have been guilty of what God says that Israel was guilty of in the Old Testament. Wayne Grudem said this about God’s names: “The many names of God in the Scripture provide additional revelation of His character. Christ said this in reference to the possibility of a rich man being saved. God is our El Roi. He widened this impossible illustration to include all mankind. Who did Jesus live by?

If you are interested in translating our content or are interested in joining our community of translators, please reach out to us. 5:3,7). However, this is not the only time we see God Almighty accomplish things that are impossible. There are titles such as King, Creator, Father, Holy One, Redeemer, and Rock. What a privilege it is to know God, the Father.

Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid” (John 14:27).

Jesus said this, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.

This covenant was cut and sealed with the blood of Christ, and therefore, God will remain faithful to us. The Names of God in the Old Testament include El Shaddai (Lord God Almighty); El Elyon (The Most High God); Adonai (Lord, Master); Yahweh (Lord, Jehovah)... KJV NKJV NLT NIV ESV CSB NASB NET RSV ASV YLT DBY WEB HNV We must know how committed God is to listen to our prayers and also to provide for all of our needs. 19:11–16) and then to his followers (Rev. God discriminates! He is with us and that’s what makes the gathering of the saints special. Judges 6:22–24 says: When Gideon was afraid, God comforted him. Jukes talks about the power of Jesus and what He can do: Healing, raising up, raising the dead, casting out the demons, etc. 28:19–20; Acts 9:15).7 Then will the Lord return, even the Lord of Hosts (Jms.

word ‘God’) for Jesus as the exalted Lord of the church’s faith. Hannah and Jehoshaphat both stood at the temple to pray (1 Sam. Copyright © 2020 The Gospel Coalition, INC. All Rights Reserved. He does as he pleases with the powers of heaven and the peoples of the earth. biological, sense (Exod. We could say Jesus Christ, because of all that He has done. Yet, while they have no pity for the lost—who are full of sores, even at their gates—and to whom the very dogs show more kindness.

32:27; Gen. 1:1; Isa.

Verse 13: “And whatever you shall ask in My name, this will I do that the Father may be glorified in the Son. New Testament Names of GodScriptures, (Greek): Create your own unique website with customizable templates. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press. I want to state it clearly. He has called us and has placed us in the same condition, in His presence, as His Holy Son Jesus Christ. Certainly, we can be sure that God is always protecting us with angels.

He is our Abba. (The Doubleday Religious Publishing Group, 2009), 15. This is the Bread, which came down from heaven; not as your fathers ate manna, and died. The glorious thing is what He’s going to do. ...who judge that they are god-ward—not by their love, but is their likeness to their lord, but by their privileges—they are now clothed with purple and fine raiment of the kingdom. How Can an Omnipresent God Be in Hell if that is Eternal Separation from God. “I tell you the truth,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” (emphasis mine).

In addition, God is sometimes referred to by using Christ has already paved the way. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. Amen. Scripture says even the roll of the dice is of the Lord (Prov 16:33).

Jesus was the One Who was Yahweh and He was the One Who instituted the temple worship. He that has seen Him has seen the Father! (6) Despotes: Greek word translated “Master.” Carries the idea of ownership while kurios stressed supreme authority (Luke 2:29; Acts 4:24; Rev.