Make room for banana + pineapple + deliciously spiced hummingbird cake. Even for someone who claims they can’t bake.

No wonder they say cooking's not for them.

Why wait until you slice to get that explosion of colour? Where’s my brain right now? Now, I bake with my boys too! Left out the nutmeg and used allspice (and more of it) instead. (Yes, I asked her. I see people attempting to make a pavlova with a small, plastic jug and a handwisk !! Too much batter for a 9×13 pan, but a 12×17 sheet pan would be perfect. (Making the total amount of cinnamon 2 teaspoons.

I’ll definitely make this again. I have an Aga range oven and cakes can be a bit tricky to master. Now for my family I have to make two versions, as some of them HATE nuts in cakes. They area a great asset to baking! The cake bottoms ended up being just fine. Although I didn't get a look in with the last batch of chocolate fudge muffins I baked...Saturday afternoon there were 18....when I got in from work on Sunday...just TWO!!! ), 100g shelled pecan nuts chopped (plus extra for decoration), Preheat oven to 170c (325F) Gas 3 or Aga-mid shelf in baking oven. Your cake looks delicious and I can hardly wait to try it. For that reason, it’s a wonderful cake to make ahead of time– even the day before. I reduced the sugar because of the added banana sweetness and used brown sugar in addition to white.

Also what is the best substitute for allspice & it’s measurement. It went up in flames and I moved it to the sink and it splashed all over my right hand. If you would like to try I recommend using an all purpose gluten free flour instead of almond flour (they are very different). Should I do anything special to transport the cake in the car, like put ice packs on the sides of the cake carrier? I needed a moment of silence. My sister asked me to bake her a hummingbird cake for her birthday. Sure I’ve tasted it a few times in the past, but I don’t think I’ve ever had traditional, stick-to-your-fork-moist hummingbird cake before. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. This colourful Rainbow Party Cake lives the party both inside and out! Remove from the oven. I was given strict instructions: it had to be rainbow, sweets, silver balls, candles and sparklers.

I increased my favorite cream cheese frosting recipe to ensure I had enough for the 3 layer cake. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Well this is a cake and half, I would love this for my birthday, nom!

The first week of every November is all about Thanksgiving Pies. Remove cakes from the oven and allow to cool completely in the pans set on a wire rack. I usually wrap the cakes in 1 layer of plastic wrap. I based this recipe off of Southern Living, the recipe that the bride’s sister made for the shower.

I have Paula Deen's recipe for Hummingbird cake. I plan to make the cake a day ahead of time and refrigerate it.

This is a super moist cake. Now for my family I have to make two versions, as some of them HATE nuts in cakes.

Anyone know the real answer?! Not a task that I had set myself, but my daughter Verity, who was just a tiny bit excited about her forthcoming birthday! Your email address will not be published. I totally agree with you about the cooking.....I also have that book, but haven't tried that cake yet...I think you've inspired me to give it a go!!! Use a toothpick to test for doneness.

But hooray!

I decided to make the cake using my old faithful Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook. Nope. I'v just been given "CAKE DAYS" by the hummingbird bakery its really good if you have'nt got it already it's worth buying there's so many new recipes xx, I have a few questions for you my blog readers.

↑, Up close and personal with those toasted pecans.

Hi Kath, you can use walnuts instead of pecans. YUM!

I’m Sally, a cookbook author, photographer, and blogger. I’m concerned that I won’t get the measurements right when trying to make enough for a 3 layer but will gladly take any advice & will let you know how it turns out.