Let cool and spread on rolled out dough. Cover the dough and allow to rise until doubled in size (about 2 hours.). I was told by a cousin it was Russian Caraway (which is hard to find) or maybe Anise. You could try pinching the ends together after rolling and also I think sometimes it’s from letting it rise too much. Seems like a lot of flavor would be lost.

thank you soo much. Stir together 2 tbsp of sugar and 1/4 cup of boiling water until granules dissolve. I’m excited to try them all. Recipe 100 years old from Germany. Have a can of Solo poppy seed filling dated use by Jul 2014, never opened, do you think it is still good.

Do you know of this cake and have the recipe? Beat egg white in a bowl until frothy; brush the rolls with beaten egg white. Followed the recipe and u tube, but when I put the roll into the oven, at 350 degrees, as it was baking, the roll and filling started oozing out the side. Add salt. Poppy seeds are everywhere (Toronto, GTA), in almost any grocery store, like Whole Foods. Microwave milk for 1 minute. I don’t own one and there very pricey (Kitchen Aid $300-400). Let dough rise in a warmed oven for speedy results. I too understood the phonetic name to be Kowatz. (I use evaporated milk to brush tops) I like to slash tops lightly about 1/4 inch deep and 2 inches apart all the way up the roll. I used canned poppy seed filling and used a butter knife to spread it all over the inside to just about 1" from the edge and it came out so good baked just as the recipe said. Merry Christmas!

Punch down dough, turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. This mother’s day I decided to surprise my mom with one of her favorite baked goods, and she was so happy with what I made using your recipe. Until now! Comments like yours really make my day. I cheated on the poppy seed filling and used canned.. Plus you made me laugh. Dear Jenny I found you web site by accident when searching for Polish recipes. What do you think I did wrong? Polishinheart, Patti. Everyone loved it. Hello Ida ! Drape a white dish towel over collander place poppy seed on towel and drain a few minutes. Historically, maybe it is because some forms of poppy are used to create narcotics. I used poppy seeds from GFS, and the filling was delicious. I soak the poppy seed about 6 hours in warm water. You have brought back so many wonderful memories of my childhood. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Thank you again for sharing your recipes in such an easy and relaxed manner and adding a good dash of humour. I am not great with dough. If dough is too sticky, knead in more flour, about 2 tablespoons at a time. Milk and butter enrich the dough creating a fluffy bread. Try out these yeast cookies with canned poppy seed filling or Russian crescent cookies called Rogaliki for a crunchier dessert! I had no problems rolling it and found that extra flour was not needed (get it kneaded). Do you have a walnut mixture to use in lieu of the poppy seeds? Poppyseed cake and pastry filling in a staple in Russian and Ukrainian kitchens. My mom is jealous (I sent her a pic of my success). You can also dampen the outer edges of the dough with water and then press the dough to create a seal. The butcher shop actually sold containers of their own poppy seed filling made with honey so I was able to skip making the filling from scratch. Would you share the answer with us about weather canned Solo brand poppyseed filling works well on this recipe? Great recipe! I’m excited to try more of your delicious recipes. Hello Jenny. Happy to say that I have made the bread, the paczki, golabki the brownie cake following your effortless recipes. So I’m a little concerned that your recipe may not meet my objectives. I made this recipe at the request of a friend except I used a traditional walnut filling instead of poppyseed because I did not have poppyseeds on hand. That’s a common occurence with poppy seed rolls and it happens to me as well. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. I’m excited to try your recipe. The zest was what I was missing in my previous recipes. and I’m talking the can from allbulkfoods. https://www.olgasflavorfactory.com/.../desserts/poppy-seed-rouletteroll Here is the nut filling recipe I’ve used for both kolachki and buchtki. It is the round, sweet cheese Kolacz. I found a jar of 29 oz of the Poppy Seed filling. Thank you thank your mother and your aunt! I grew up looking forward to having these during the holidays when my aunt would come visit from Ohio. THANK YOU for sharing it with the world!!!!! 7. Stir in flour gradually. Set aside. Thanks so much for sharing these traditional foods. Thanks again for an incredibly tasty recipe, your instructions made it really simple. Spread filling almost to edges, roll starting at 10-inch end and place on parchment-lined baking sheet, seam side down. Pour yeast mixture and egg yolk into flour mixture and stir to make a soft dough. You can’t tell this detail from the video. Bake rolls in the preheated oven until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. (She was of Romanian-Ukrainian background.)

Mix poppy seeds with 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon melted butter, lemon juice, and hot milk in a bowl; stir to combine.

xoxo, Jenny, I love your jokes! I made this for Christmas and wow did it ever bring back fond memories. - Jenny Jones. Since she has passed no one has been able to replicate her recipe, I can’t believe you have. This traditional Polish holiday bread has a beautiful filling of poppy seeds, citrus peel and almonds.

I am looking forward so much to trying your recipe for poppy seed filling. Wotjek’s story: While in Iran in 1943, Polish soldiers had rescued a bear cub and ‘adopted’ him. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. That’s great to hear. Knead dough until glossy and elastic, about 10 minutes. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/262208/russian-poppy-seed-roll I’m a 2nd gen daughter to a Polish son…so my dad, having never lifted a finger, would try to tell my 2nd Gen German mom how to cook it. I had no idea then that you were Polish or that you knew how to cook. I bought instant active yeast packets. You can use an electric hand mixer or you can mix the dough by hand. I live a small Scottish Borders town that is twinned with Zagan in Poland. I am helping in preparing the food for the event and we wanted to include some Polish recipes. Do you know why they would want to boil the seeds first. I am so disappointed.,..I want to print the recipes ,only couple I remember from family and each time I try to print from your site that says print, it comes up blank or it prints all the comments people made to you. I tried your recipe and it turned out really good. I am eating a slice right now. Thanks , The Slovak and Polish churches sell Poppy Seed Rolls around the holidays. Brush tops with the sugar glaze. I am a 16 year old, and have never made a poppy seed roll before.

Cut dough into 2 equal pieces. This is indeed the old world recipe. As long as it tastes good, that’s all that matters. The link to the poppyseed filling no longer works, any idea where I can get it today, August 2020? Thanks. You saved Russian Poppy Seed Roll to your. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Although many European cultures make poppy seed rolls, all are made similar, as milk, eggs, sugar, and butter are commonly found ingredients in most recipes. So easy to work with and turned out great. Cover with a towel and rise in a warm spot for 1 1/2 hours or until double in size.

Thank you for the fun videos and healthy polish recipes! Test your yeast by activating it with the warm milk and seeing if it forms a foamy skin (5 min.). I followed your video and this morning my husband said…..this is delicious…perfect.

Merry Christmas, Jenny ! Hence the search. She would never use canned poppyseed.

And can I make this the night before I need to serve it? The first ingredient in Solo poppy seed filling is corn syrup. Once you realize that a low level of opium alkaloids is safe enough to eat you can make many desserts and pastries to enjoy! Some of the other recipes I saw called for boiling and draining the poppy seeds.

Ukrainian Recipes are my heritage. Even though much of the filling seeped out, enough remained so it tasted good. I found it to be soft and sweet and easy to work with. Hallo Jenny! Awesome recipe! I’ve used walnut, poppy, lakvar, and cream cheese fillings for my holiday baking of both of these confections. If you search the internet, you’ll find that it happens a lot and you may see some other solutions. I think hers was somewhat different, but it’s helpful to compare your recipe to hers as I am struggling with reading portions of hers. Jenny, thank you for your recipes do you know what temperature that I need to bake this in a fan forced oven. My mother always used the grinder, then added vanilla, sugar, some water, and steamed this over a very slow heat (back of the wood stove). My husband’s favorite dessert is a poppy seed roll! Many thanks for this wonderful recipe! Place the rolls onto a lined baking sheet and allow to rise for 30 minutes. Made it for this 2018 Christmas, the best holiday sweet bread ever had!….. instead poppy seeds I made it with grounded walnuts+almonds+cocoaPowder+sugar+milk+vanilaPasteExtract+3tears of pure almondExtract. Divide dough in half and roll one portion into a 10-inch sheet. https://www.thespruceeats.com/eastern-european-poppy-seed-recipes-1136699 Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; place rolls seam sides down on the baking sheet and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. I thought it odd that the recipe did not call for the dough to have a "first rise" before forming the loaves. I may just try my Magic Bullet blender. If you follow exactly you can see in the video that the filling will not be loose. Hi Jenny! For Jenny’s recipes, I “Bookmarked” since there were so many to try. Use a Kitchen Aid Mixer to do the kneading! It hit a home run for me with dad he really loved it. Also, if you’re located near a Mennonite or Amish market you may spot the bulk cans of poppyseed filling too. I must admit I forgot all about the burst belly after it was sliced and eaten! These used to be sold in most grocery stores. Form into a ball and place in a large, lightly-oiled bowl and turn to coat. It doesn’t freeze into a block so you don’t have to worry about scooping it out. Jenny, Would one can (12oz) of poppy seeds be enough for this recipe, should I add the 1/4 cup of ground nuts too? Carl xox. Add to taste. I will adjust the recipe to indicate that. This is the best!

I’m making this for the first time for Easter. My Mother used to make poppy seed bread, nut bread, and plain. Thank you, Jenny. thank you thank you!! Much larger than the rolls I was used to, but that did not matter one bit. Baba’s Nut Filling 1 lb. Many sweet-yeast-doughs call for butter and sour cream, and lengthy proofs to build flavor. A huge thanks to a friend who shared this recipe with me years back, it has become my go-to roulette recipe because you can’t beat how easy it is to make at home with minimum ingredients! 216 calories; protein 5g 10% DV; carbohydrates 26.8g 9% DV; fat 10.6g 16% DV; cholesterol 21.8mg 7% DV; sodium 109.5mg 4% DV. Thanks. I look forward to trying these recipes today and would like to try the alternate fillings you mention. Place flour, yeast, sugar, & salt in large mixing bowl. Do you think it’ll freeze ok?

My Polish grandmother was a professional baker at a famous Polish bakery in Ohio in the 1940’s. (Another option): Before baking, you can brush with eggwash and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site! Info. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.