It does make a good side dish or quick meal. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. It turned out to be a fine lentil and rice dish. Cover and cook on high 5-6 hours or low 8 hours depending on your specific slow cooker. After reading all of the reviews, clearly the amount of liquid is one issue, so I upped it to 3:1. Okay...call it morbid curiosity, but I came across this recipe and just had to try it because of all the bad reviews. I was very surprised to come home and find all the water had been absorbed! Place the rice and lentils in a large bowl, cover with water and soak overnight or at least 6 hours. Drain and place in the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients except the cheese if using.

Thankfully I was home to keep an eye on the crock pot otherwise I'm sure I would have ended up with lentil sludge as well. I believe this recipe has a misprint; the dry lentils and rice should only be 1 cup each or maybe even 1/2 cup each. Thank you! Drain and place in the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients except the cheese if using. No information found on this site is intended as medical or nutritional advice, and should not be misconstrued as such. If you wish to use a photo, please contact us first.

I used 1 cup of rice and 1 cup of lentils. They hold their shape better without becoming mushy. WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Brown Rice & Lentils (330 calories | 8 6 2 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving) As I was stirring together the ingredients for this savory slow cooker brown rice and lentils, it dawned on me just how much my … I soaked the lentils for 14 hours. I use 1 cup lentils and 1 cup brown rice and 4-6 cups water. Something must be wrong with the ingredient measurements in this recipe. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. I made this recipe without looking at the reviews first. Lentils, brown rice and the usual taco seasoning suspects make up these incredibly easy Slow Cooker Lentil and Brown Rice Tacos. Cover and cook on high 5-6 hours or low 8 hours depending on your specific slow cooker. It’s best to use a firmer variety of lentil like black, french green or brown. This recipe is perfect for that since it really cooks itself and I can be preparing other things while it simmers away filling the house with it’s delicious aroma. Simply add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker, stir and … Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. I used about 3/4 tsp garlic powder. It could have used more, but oh well. I basically ended up with a gigantic pot full of some sort of pilaf even though I added 2 extra cups of water. The soup thickens a lot as it stands too. I used 2c lentil and only 1c rice and there was no liquid left after 7 hours of cooking. To make an Indian inspired dish substitute the oregano and basil for curry powder, cumin and garam masala and add carrots and cauliflower. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. At least I didnt waste to much money on the ingredients. Also try part wild rice in this recipe--it adds lots of flavor!!

Others complained about it being to dry and more of a lump than a soup---they were right.

Whether or not I will make it again, I do not know. I salvaged the soup by transferring it to a stock pot added 6 cups of chicken stock that I had been thawing anyway plus more water til it was a soup consistency.

© Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition So I added chopped sweet peppers, cumin, red pepper flakes and italian seasoning and used all chicken broth instead of water. This is a thick soup but that is what makes it really good. I make something very similar to this but I do find that I have to periodically add water. I added extra water and vegetable broth to try and make it more of a soup and soaked my lentils before cooking. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Rice, lentils and mixed veggies seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper. You may want to add a little broth when warming up. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. It’s also budget friendly because what’s more economical than lentils and rice? It’s done when the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been cooked down. It calls for 7 hours of slow cooker time but by 3 hours it was a sodden dryed out mass of oatmeal like stuff. I can't say anything that hasn't already been said about this recipe. Well, no. The ratio of water to lentil/rice is 2:1. Place the rice and lentils in a large bowl, cover with water and soak overnight or at least 6 hours. Maybe too little liquid for the amount of lentil/rice called for? It's also good with cumin chili powder and garlic salt(to flavor) and used as a vegetarian burrito filling.

Cover and cook on low setting for 7 to 8 hours.

The same goes for any content or recipes. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. Congrats! Definitely reduce the salt if you use less rice and lentils though. Well...I also did not read the reviews before I made this "soup". Please note that 99% of the photos on this blog belong to the authors. Please consult a qualified doctor or trained nutritionist for specific nutrition advice. (We like them very soft.) I know a busy schedule is just the way of life nowadays, so here is a quick slow cooker soup that's super easy and yummy too!

Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients.

It should be taken off the site. I cooked on high for 3.5 hours added mushrooms and cooked for 30 minutes. I like to do most of my cooking on the weekend so I can put meals together during the week without too much effort. 261 calories; protein 12.2g 24% DV; carbohydrates 49.6g 16% DV; fat 1.5g 2% DV; cholesterol 0mg; sodium 698.7mg 28% DV. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 38g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 4.5g, Protein: 9.5g, Sodium: 343mg, Chol: 0mg. You saved Slow Cooker Lentil Rice Soup to your. Also, reviewers complained about blandness. Very hearty and makes a huge batch! Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. I followed suggestions of previous reviewers. from Fat: 6, Total Fat: 1g, Sat. I used 2 cups vegetable broth and 7 cups of water. Spinach Salad with Spring Surprise Dressing, Naked Eating – Starting Out – Positive Changes Start Now, 1 can (14.5 ounces) low sodium diced tomatoes, 5 ounces fresh spinach, chopped or frozen, but thaw and drain first, 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper or to taste, 1 package (8 ounces) non dairy cheese (optional). Is it really that bad?!?! Well, this is a site where everyone tweaks things according to their own preferences (aside from those who substitute raspberries for jalapenos and salmon for beef and peas for potatoes, decide to cook it on a Coleman instead of the oven and then say it was terrible). Another plus is that it’s one of the most versatile recipes I have. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. It’s about living in harmony with the environment, our communities, our families and ourselves. Place the lentils, rice, carrots, celery, onion, water, broth, garlic powder, ground black pepper and … Place the lentils, rice, carrots, celery, onion, water, broth, garlic powder, ground black pepper and salt in a slow cooker. Nutrients per serving (without cheese):  Calories: 180, Cal. By combining legumes and grains you get a complete protein so this can be a main dish or as a side dish with another protein if you prefer. It has great flavor. Info.

It is by no means soup, but it does taste good.

With a change in seasoning and vegetables it can become a whole different dish. I prefer to soak the lentils in water overnight and set the crockpot on high for aobut half of the cook time.

I simmered it on the stove for another half hour to soften the lentils that didn't cook through added a little Polish Sausage and it was pretty good soup but I've got a gallon of it now! Length of cooking time seems to also be an issue, so I only cooked it 4 hours on low which was enough. Naked Eating is about providing your body with the healthiest, most nutritious foods available, it’s peeling back the layers and revealing the true you, it’s about ditching the negative factors in your life and opening yourself up to positive changes. If using the cheese add it individually to each serving. To change the flavor of this dish substitute the oregano and basil for cumin and chili powder and add some frozen corn (thaw and drain first).

Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Make sure you Don't use instant wild rice for one thing. We took them ourselves. Please take your individual needs into account before incorporating any advice given here into your daily nutrition. None of this helped I ended up with a large gloppy lumps. Stir in the mushrooms 1 hour before serving.

I agree that the amount of lentils and rice should be cut in half and some spices need to be added. Amount is based on available nutrient data. I actually will try this soup again using a half cup each of lentils and brown rice.