Allow jars to cool completely. The flavor of homemade blueberry jam just can’t compare to what is commercially found in grocery stores. Stir occasionally to ensure it's not sticking. I used three cups of blueberries in my small batch which yielded five 8-oz jars. However, after sharing with the birds and going out of town at the height of the season, there was only about a quart of blueberries left for picking. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Discard if you see any visible signs of spoilage. Recommended products for making blueberry jam: My husband said this low sugar blueberry jam was “the blueberriest blueberry thing” he had ever tasted. Pulse blueberries in a blender to roughly chop. I’ve never made blueberry jam; but it seemed like a way to savor the wonderful flavor of the blueberries all year. Now I just leave them alone and keep the weed eater away. After you wash the fresh berries, let them dry completely before chopping. Jam will darken in color and take on a thick, syrupy consistency. Carefully remove from canner and set upright on towel on counter. I mulch some and water when it’s real dry but other than that he was right. In a large, non-reactive pot, combine blueberries, lemon juice, and the calcium water. Use a wide shallow pot. Filed Under: Recipes Tagged With: berry jam, blueberries, Canning, canning recipes, food preservation, jam. Set aside. After picking, the berries will keep for a week or more and will ripen slightly after picking. ★☆ If it does stick, reduce the heat. Test for seal. Sign up for the Sunday Spotlight August picked up a pack of organic blueberries at the store as a treat, and they didn't even taste like blueberries. Blueberry Jam - Easy, Small Batch, Low Sugar & Very Blueberry You don’t need to thaw them first, but be generous with the measure because frozen berries don’t pack in the cup.

★☆ Wipe rims clean and screw on the lids. Add remaining 2 cups sugar, and return to rolling boil, stirring constantly. The cardamom adds a subtle layer of extra flavor, but it is optional. ( Log Out /  Watch out for mold growth, especially at the stem end of blueberries in clamshell packs in the grocery store. Fill water to at least 1 to 2″ above tops of jars. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Store your leftover calcium water in the refrigerator, and it will keep for several months. For this small amount, you could opt to store the jam in the refrigerator and use the jars up a month or two. Cool for 24 hours. If you don’t want to thaw, start with 5 cups frozen berries. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring often. Here I go. Wash and sort blueberries, removing stems and any old, hard blueberries. Thanks Laurie! I scrape the jam from the bottom of the stock pot into this “extra” jar, too, since it tends to cook a little more and get thicker. Just skip water processing the jam in a canner for long term storage. | Birch on Trellis Framework by Mediavine. Note: you can make blueberry jam without added pectin by slow cooking the fruit, lemon juice, and sugar until thickened. Common Sense Recipes and Kitchen Tips page, Peach Jam Recipes – Peach Vanilla and Fuzzy Navel – Freezer Jam Option, Strawberry Jam – 5 Easy Recipes for America’s Most Popular Jam, 6 Ways to Get the Musty Smell Out of Clothes and Towels. You can also subscribe without commenting. Jelly is the juice of the fruit and jam contains pieces of the fruit. Remove from heat skim off any foam with metal spoon. Using sound judgment to be more self-reliant. Will be canning berries tomorrow, ty for all your time & your energy in sharing, Your email address will not be published. Check seal after jars are cool. Preserving the jam by canning the jars is the time consuming part (such as getting the water to boil in a large canner). Mash two cups of the berries in a large saucepan.

Refrigerate any jars that are not properly sealed. In a small bowl, mix together sugar and pectin powder. Bring to rolling boil (one that doesn’t stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. To make the jam, wash and sort the blueberries, removing stems and hard blueberries. The bushes don’t have many pests and don’t require alot of care. I'll be glad when our blueberry patch is a little older and we have plenty for fresh eating and jam. ★☆ Post was not sent - check your email addresses! I to have been given a plentiful supply from a friend. Which blueberries are best for blueberry jam? That’s great that you have the right soil for them and your plants are thriving.

Sterilize five 8-ounce jars, keep hot. It increases the surface area and allows water to evaporate more quickly.

Researchers are studying blueberries for improving heart, brain and gut health. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Sometimes this works well, other times, not so much, since the acidity and pectin content of the fruit varies. Cool the jam at room temperature for about 90 minutes before refrigerating. The seals may “pop” as the jam cools to room temperature over the next 24 hours. There are several varieties that grow in this climate and they can get to be 8 feet tall. See “Blueberry Nutrition” at the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council website for more information. You use a water bath for canning jam — so don’t get tempted to use an instant pot pressure cooker. They also contain phytonutrients called polyphenols, which may help reduce inflammation. These blueberries aren’t quite ripe yet.Making Jam. You can also try substituting with ground cinnamon or ground ginger if you prefer. I wash the jars in the dishwasher, then place them the canner, bringing the water to boiling and leaving them until ready to fill. Optionally, place in a water bath canner on a wire rack in the bottom of the canner — with water to cover the tops by an inch, bring to a boil and boil 10 minutes. I had a bumper crop of blueberries on my two bushes this year in my yard. Southern Fig Preserves Cake: Gifts from the Heart. The berries grow in clumps and ripen at various times, so you almost have to pick them daily. They like acidic soil, so I added pine leaves for mulch.

Low sugar jams have a shorter shelf life than high sugar jams. Find a sunny spot for the bushes in a raised or well-drained area. Place in canner with elevated rack.

You can view our full listing of over 30 jam and jelly recipes on the Common Sense Recipes and Kitchen Tips page. Because blueberries are rich in natural pectin, only a small amount of commercial pectin is used. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Hi! (Because of rack in bottom of canner, water will not have a “rolling” boil.) (Boil the tops and bands in a small pot of water for 5 minutes). Process for 10 minutes in water bath canner (add 1 minute for every 1,000 feet above sea level). The aromatic flavor and taste of blueberries is preserved for you to enjoy.

I always prep an extra clean jar for any left jam that doesn't fit in the main jars. Remove jam from canner and place on a towel on the kitchen counter. What could I make with the small batch of blueberries? I like the wide tops on these decorative jars. Once the foam begins to subside, begin to stir constantly. If you have a chance to taste the berries before buying, do it.