Con Poulos for The New York Times. Enter to Win $10,000 to Makeover Your Home! Get your eggs out of the frig. But what about the in-between times, where you want a taste of the season without the fuss? It was time to bake some to warm up the house and the soul. Everything you Want (and Need) to know about Save the Dates. this website. The beauty of this cake is not only its deliciousness, but the fact that you assemble it so quickly! A simple snacking cake recipe won’t ask much of you. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stir together until well mixed.

The Oat Cake with Blueberries and Blackberries that's shown here is the perfect example: unfussy, unlayered, and entirely delicious. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar; beat in egg until light and fluffy. Laced with poppyseeds, lemon zest, and a glug of buttermilk for extra tang, it's an elegant treat that you can enjoy any time of year (and day, for that matter!). What can I say, peeps, the cake is a winner and I think you’ll be pleased with it and all of its brown sugar-forward, super moist, fruity, crackly-topped goodness. There’s icing, but not too much. I love one-bowl baking, almost as much as I love snack cakes. Facebook Tweet. Make the icing, by combining all the ingredients and mixing well. dinners, and sometimes we just talk about what is good on TV. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture; mix well. It’s perfect for last-minute baking (aka you forgot about the school bake sale) or for make-ahead baking (aka it freezes beautifully). Courtesy of Clarkson Potter. So, what makes a snacking cake different than all the rest? Pour mixture into the 9x13pan, and even out the batter and smooth the top. Make the Cake: In a large bowl, whisk the brown sugar and eggs until pale and foamy, about 1 minute. A slice of cake is snack time as you know deep in your heart it should be.

There are so many delicious ways to use this hard-shell squash, from soups and salads to lasagna and pizza. I can’t pinpoint exactly when my obsession began, but I believe boxed mix-cakes, iced with frosting from a can or tube, were the “gateway” treat to my obsession. This is the ultimate holiday table center piece. Additionally, using oil in the cake batter instead of butter keeps it moist for days on end (should it last that long). Don't let the classic birthday cake flavors fool you: With its simple and pure vanilla base and velvety chocolate buttercream frosting, this cake was destined for snack time. Without nuts or spices, it tastes deeply of bananas, vanilla and caramel from the sticky, almost candylike frosting sprinkled with flakes of sea salt. Fold in marshmallows and chips. More. © Our fall-focused indoor and outdoor decorating ideas are guaranteed ways to make the perfect first impression when family and friends come calling on Thanksgiving—or any day during the season.

Betty’s Best Nutella® Thanksgiving Recipes. It’s a throwback to a simpler era, when a piece of plain cake was enjoyed at face value — without judgment or fear, just cake for cake’s sake. Even if your cake preferences skew traditional, there's still a snack cake that will meet your expectations.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. Get regular updates from NYT Cooking, with recipe suggestions, cooking tips and shopping advice. A snacking cake is, as you might expect, a cake for snacking.

https://barefeetinthekitchen.com/cold-chocolate-cake-recipe You'll find a variety of cakes in this gallery. Watch Chef Jayce Baudry channel all that inspiration into his latest creation, the Christmas Present Cake. Chocolate Chip Snacking Cake.

This snacking cake encapsulates what a sunny, late-spring afternoon feels like.

Chocolate Snacking Cake With Tangerine Glaze, Banana Snacking Cake With Salted Caramel Glaze. If you’d rather try a different fruit, substitute chunks of peaches, plums or even blueberries in their place, and omit the cinnamon if you like. This is snacking cake, the perfect confection to turn vicious midafternoon stomach growls into contented purrs. For another easy, fruity favorite, see this One-Bowl Apple Snacking Cake recipe. "This cake packs and travels well since the topping bakes down into it," says Liz Raether of Algoma, Wisconsin. Below is my version, if you want to see the original version, click here Spiced Snacking Cake.

This one-bowl lemon snacking cake is designed to taste like a boxed cake (it’s super moist, complete with a soft crumb), and it’s just as easy to make. As an added bonus, the fruit keeps the cake so moist that all you'll need for toppings is a light dusting of confectioners' sugar. Add the buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and kosher salt. I adore them beyond measure and develop them on the regular and here are a few of my faves for your baking-up pleasure – hope you end up digging them as much as I do . Start Slideshow 1 of 7. Being that it was cold and windy, I was not going to head out to the store to pick up some cardamom or safflower oil. But a snacking cake can be nourishment for the spirit, and that has to count for something! From which platforms to use and the best books to read, bibliophiles share their advice. vegetable. Recipes: Lemon Snacking Cake With Coconut Glaze | Chocolate Snacking Cake With Tangerine Glaze | Banana Snacking Cake With Salted Caramel Glaze. Make sure to use ripe bananas here, the kind you can smell from across your kitchen, the spottier, the better. Follow NYT Food on Twitter and NYT Cooking on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.

It's not chocolate, but I have used vanilla instead of lemon, omitted the peel and added about 1/2 cup chocolate chips because that was the only chocolate in the house. This one-bowl snack cake has the most tender and moist of almond-flavored crumbs and is studded throughout with bright red cherries — making it as pretty as it is tasty. Subscribe to Jessie Sheehan Bakes to receive my recipes in your inbox! Pour over the cake, and spread out evenly. Anna Williams, Credit: All the essential dishes are here, just on a smaller scale. The humble, versatile snacking cake is finally getting its due. Mix all the dry ingredients, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg into a large bowl. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. The entire thing comes together in one bowl, baked in the oven for a half hour, and finished off with a sugary glaze on top. And if the idea of snacking cake seems just too whimsical — or if you’re not the snacking type — you can serve any of these cakes for dessert, too. and there are more snacking cake recipes of mine on the writing page of this site if you become kind of snacking cake obsessed (like the best of us have . . I love to tell people what I'm thinking, I would love to know what you are thinking, please let me know! Waffle Ice Cream Sundaes. In another bowl, combine buttermilk and vanilla. A delightful category in their own right, snacking cakes are nothing fancy in the best sense of the phrase. From angel food to zuccoto, she has shown us how to bake, layer, and decorate some of the dreamiest cakes around. . Spiced Pumpkin Praline Roll. Butternut squash might be fall's most versatile (and beloved!) Look no further than this sweetly spiced gingerbread cake. This is a fairly dense, hearty cake Hosting fewer guests this holiday season due to the coronavirus pandemic? This strictly-pantry cake (that's right, there are no eggs involved!) I needed SOMEthing sweet for an afternoon snack and modified a shortbread recipe to come up with this. I yearned for these boxed-mix cakes as I child the same way I yearn for snacking cakes, now. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. by Kristin Donnelly | The best way to cook a stress-free dinner is to think ahead, which is why we've created this comprehensive... by Amanda Balagur | Thanksgiving for one (or two) can be just as festive as any big to-do. Blueberry Buttermilk Snack Cake. I have only wildly enthusiastic things to say about the taste of this chocolate chip snack cake, with its crisp, caramelized, chip-studded top, amazingly moist, vanilla-infused light crumb, speckling of chocolate morsels throughout, and sweet, but not too sweet, overall vibe.

Thanks for subscribing! Then there’s a buttery banana cake. You may unsubscribe at any time. They are always single-layer, are often cut into squares, and are generally finished with a light glaze or frosting on top. We are so glad that you stopped by.

You might be able to whip up a snacking cake right now, with ingredients you have in the cupboard. In another bowl, combine buttermilk and vanilla. Snacking Cake Recipes. Skinny Chicken and Black Bean Burritos. Here, get our best grilling recipes for everything from fish and meat to pizza and oysters. Loaded with soft pillowy rice cakes, delicious garnishes, and a rich beef broth, this is comfort in a bowl. For those who love the taste of the boxed cake but want to make a cake from scratch, this recipe is for you. . 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 large egg, plus one large egg yolk, at room temperature, **I did not have whole milk, so I used 1 1/2 tablespoons of 1% milk, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of half and half), * if you are using table salt, use one 1 full teaspoon, **if you do not have whole vanilla beans, use 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.

Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture; mix well.

The cake bakes up in about half an hour and can be brought to room temp after a quick stint in the freezer and then frosted within about 10 to 15 minutes of leaving the oven (you’re welcome). And nuts are a great addition to any recipe, they add crunch and delicious flavour, plus Walnuts are the only tree nut to contain a significant amount of the plant-based omega-3, alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), 2.7g/ 30g (approx. |, 9 Baking Mistakes That Ruin Your Cakes, Cookies, Brownies & Bread, The Top Trending Fall Foods & Recipes, According to Google, The Best Places to Buy Baking Ingredients Online, Easy Baking Recipes You Can Make with Pantry Staples, The 20 Best ALDI Finds for November Are All About Cookies & Thanksgiving, 8 Easy Ways to Make Boxed Mac & Cheese Taste Like You Made It from Scratch, The Cookbooks We're Most Excited for This Fall, Ready or Not, Pumpkin Spice Products Are Back Again, 7 Helpful Produce Subscriptions You Should Know About, Meal Prep Containers That Will Get You Excited to Make Lunch, How to Store & Defrost Frozen Bananas for Baking, This Cranberry Pumpkin Sourdough Bread Is Peak Fall Baking, This Easy Pumpkin Snacking Cake Recipe Is a Great Alternative to Pie, This One-Bowl Apple Cake Is Everything You Want in a Fall Dessert, Why You Should Spatchcock Your Turkey & How to Do It, The Ultimate Guide to Perfect Mashed Potatoes. Satisfying and comforting, a slice of cake — whether chocolate, banana or lemon — is snack time as you know in your heart it should be. Martha Stewart is part of the Meredith Home Group. Ryan Liebe, 12 Snacking Cakes Ideal for Any and Every Occasion. Thanksgiving and Christmas are good examples of occasions when stunning, elaborate desserts are encouraged. Whisk until smooth andemulsified. Unfamiliar with this category of treats?

Inspired by my mother-in-law’s blueberry buckle, this uber-moist cake is studded with blueberries and topped with a crispy, buttery crumb. Food Stylist: Christine Albano. Snacking Cake It's cold and windy here today. Our Favorite Snacking Cake Recipes | Martha Stewart These unfussy snacking cakes are all easy recipes just right for when you need a piece of cake.