Song of Songs contains eight chapters all praising and giving voice to love. Here and elsewhere in the Song (3:1; 5:8; 6:1), the woman expresses her desire to be in the company of her lover.

The most excellent of all songs.

Your name is a flowing perfume— therefore young women love you. Wait… There Were How Many Herods?! The companions of the bride inquire after the bridegroom.

Who Was Herod? It tells of the king who comes in disguise to the family vineyard of a Shulamite woman, wins her heart, and ultimately makes her his bride. Introduction to the Maiden, the Beloved, and the daughters of Jerusalem. She confesses her unworthiness, desires to be directed to the flock, and is directed to the shepherds’ tents. Ps 23:1; Is 40:11; Jn 10:1–16). The Woman Speaks of Her Lover. The sons of my mother were angry with me; they charged me with the care of the vineyards: where you shepherd,* where you give rest at midday. The mutual love of both: the beloved is mine, and I am his.

* [1:8] Pasture your lambs: both the woman and the man act as shepherds in the Song. But Solomon had very many wives. About the Song of Songs. * [1:1] Song of Songs: in Hebrew and Aramaic the idiom “the X of Xs” denotes the superlative (e.g., “king of kings” = “the highest king”; cf. It’s the tale of a young woman preparing to marry her love: a handsome gent who adores her. 1:2). Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth: for thy love is better than wine. Title, 1:1 II.

Like Psalms, it’s a  book of lyrics; but while every psalm’s beginning and end is clearly marked, Song of Solomon doesn’t give us this level of clarity. I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys.

In the book of Genesis, when God made Adam and Eve, He brought them together as husband and wife. For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.

* [1:7] Shepherd: a common metaphor for kings. It’s a ballad of love and longing. Your graceful legs are like jewels, the work of an artist’s hands. * [1:9–11] The man compares the woman’s beauty to the rich adornment of the royal chariot of Pharaoh. The author of the Song probably lived about the same time as King Solomon.

6Do not stare at me because I am so black,*. The characters experience attraction, lovesickness, and what seems like a pretty great wedding night (So 7). The king has brought me to his bed chambers. * [1:2–8:14] This translation augments the canonical text of the Song with the letters W, M, and D, placed in the margin, to indicate which of the characters in the Song is speaking: the woman, the man, or the “Daughters of Jerusalem.” This interpretive gloss follows an early Christian scribal practice, attested in some Septuagint manuscripts from the first half of the first millennium A.D. * [1:2–7] The woman and her female chorus address the man, here viewed as king and shepherd (both are familiar metaphors for God; cf. Like Psalms, it’s a book of lyrics; but while every psalm’s beginning and end is clearly marked, Song of Solomon doesn’t give us this level of clarity. It’s a story of adoration, satisfaction, delight, and sexual desire. * [1:16–17] Continuing the royal metaphor, the meeting place of the lovers, a shepherd’s hut of green branches, becomes a palace with beams of cedar and rafters of cypress when adorned with their love. The Song of Solomon (also known as the Song of Songs) celebrates this kind of union: a man and a woman becoming one. He earns much silver from its fruit, which he can keep – because she has her own vineyard, him? Bible summary by chapter Tuesday, 15 March 2011.

The heading may also mean “for Solomon” or “about Solomon.”.

I am black, but comely. Song of Songs is a lyric poem in dialogue form. Thanks Jeffery for putting this particular overview of the Song of Solomon together. A description of the bridegroom as the apple tree among the trees of the wood, and as a roe or young hart. Chapter 3 from the Song of Solomon begins with the dream of the woman speaker, the shepherdess. 2 W * a Let him kiss me with kisses of his mouth,.

That question is not touched upon.

for your love is better than wine, * 3 better than the fragrance of your perfumes.. CHAPTER 1.

* [1:4] Another change, but from second to third person (cf. Behold, thou art fair, my beloved. * [1:15] Doves: doves are pictured in the ancient world as messengers of love. Song of Songs By AD100, rabbis were interpreting the Song allegorically, as an exploration of God’s love for Israel. My friend: a special feminine form of the word “friend,” appearing only in the Song (1:15; 2:2, 10, 13; 4:1, 7; 5:2; 6:4) and used to express endearment and equality in love.

Song of Songs Summary. Many waters cannot quench love. The bride is referred to as ‘the Shulamite’.

The text doesn’t explicitly say whether or not. My own vineyard: perhaps the woman herself; see 8:8–10 for her relationship to her brothers. Instructions to daughters of Jerusalem not to awake the beloved. Three parties join the song: If this were indeed an arranged song, think of it as a duet with a choir. Your navel is a rounded goblet that never lacks blended wine. Song of Solomon study guide contains a biography of Toni Morrison, literature essays, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis.

The “king” metaphor recurs in 1:12; 3:5–11; 7:6. And this song has three general movements: It culminates in their marriage and mutual delight in one another: the bride is her beloved’s and his desire is for her (So 7:10). Solomon’s vineyard is described as full of precious fruit.