Get the Cooks Professional Espresso Maker for just £39.99, Choose the type of message you'd like to post, Magazine subscription – save 44% and get a cookbook of your choice, plus 4 days for the sourdough and 4-18 hrs resting. Drain some of the juice from the plummed tomatoes and tip the rest into a bowl with the olive oil, oregano and a generous pinch of salt. Get the pan very hot, then working quickly and carefully, drape it into the pan, spread over some of the sauce, a handful of mozzarella and some basil, if using.

Design by Purr | Support by Foodie Digital. More recently, in fact, I stop the bulk fermentation when the dough has increased in volume by 50%.). Then, “stretch and fold” the dough (see video for guidance) 4 times at 30 minute intervals. Towards the end of the rise time, preheat your oven to 450°F. /*-->
Please read my disclosure policy. I made calzones with this recipe and they were outta this world! Here’s a recipe for homemade sourdough starter. Find what you need in our sourdough baking guide. This is the beauty of the Baking Steel: oven spring! If it starts to shrink back, cover and let rest for 15 minutes before continuing. Combine 375 g water, 100 g sourdough starter, and 10 g salt in a bowl. Turn oven from Bake setting (hopefully at 550°F (287°C)) to maximum Broiler setting. Make homemade sourdough pizza with a wonderfully chewy crust.

If possible, repeat this cycle twice more for a total of 4 stretch and folds. In short: If you want pizza for the weekend, mix your dough on either Wednesday or Thursday.

Let it rest for 6 to 12 hours (see recipe notes for timing) or until the dough…, … has about doubled in volume.

Schedule: I like mixing this dough in the evening, performing 4 stretch and folds before I go to bed (if time permits), then letting the dough complete its bulk fermentation at room temperature (68ºF) overnight or in the refrigerator (especially in the summer, when my kitchen is much warmer). ⁣

Note: This is a good opportunity to feed the remainder of your starter, if necessary. Roll into balls and leave to rest on a floured tray, covered with a damp teatowel, in the fridge for at least 4 hrs, and up to 18 hrs – the longer you leave the dough, the more sour it will taste. Don’t have any starter? if you can get your hands on either. Shape and top your pizza on parchment paper or a baker's peel and when you're ready to bake, slide the pizza onto the hot stone (parchment and all, if you're using parchment).

If you like pizza with a deep golden brown, crispy crust, bake on a baking stone. The dough and toppings recipe can easily be halved to make 3 pizzas. You need water, flour, salt, and sourdough starter. New! Facebook Instagram Pinterest Twitter YouTube LinkedIn. Yes! Try our margherita recipe, then customise with your favourite toppings. Once complete, I portion the dough and stash it in the fridge. Sourdough crust is prepared from a sourdough starter that has several health benefits. It’s critical to have a well floured surface during shaping to avoid dough sticking to table. Store leftover pizza covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. [CDATA[/* >
I topped this pizza with passata, spicy salami, buffalo mozzarella, and basil, as well as a scattering of chilli flakes, but use whatever you fancy or have to hand. Here’s the simple sourdough pizza crust play-by-play: As always, a scale is essential for best results. Return to the oven and bake for 5 to 7 more minutes, until the cheese is melted. If you love this recipe, please consider giving it a star rating when you post a comment. For thick-crust pizza, bake for 10 minutes before removing from the oven and adding cheese. In the morning, it’s typically ready to be portioned (if it rose at room temperature), transferred to quart containers, and stashed in the fridge. If you have a Baking Steel, place it in the upper third of your oven, and heat the oven to 550ºF. The dough balls freeze well and can be defrosted and then used. Add the water, flour, salt, yeast, and Pizza Dough Flavor. Purchase our classic fresh sourdough starter – it’ll be ready for baking soon after it arrives at your door. Star ratings help people discover my recipes online. ... together!

Stir any liquid on top of your refrigerated starter back into it before measuring 1 cup (227g) into a large mixing bowl. This is my favorite pizza dough recipe! Drizzle two 12" round pizza pans with olive oil, and brush to coat the bottom. Let’s do this , One of the most frequently asked questions I’ve received these past few weeks is: “Have you ever replaced the yeast in “X” bread recipe with sourdough starter?”, And specifically: “Could I use sourdough starter in your pizza dough recipe?”. Sauce and top as you like, but don't add cheese yet. After the edges of the pizza begin to brown, remove from the oven, add cheese, and return to the oven to finish baking. Transfer to a straight-sided vessel (if possible) and let rest for 30 minutes. Vegetable lover.

Your email address will not be published. Depending on the vitality of your starter, this will take between 2 and 4 hours.

Make a batch of our white sourdough, following the recipe to the end of step 4.