Hiring a qualified SSI attorney is the best way to ensure you don’t have to choose between a settlement for damages from a car accident and your SSI benefits. We will do all in our power to obtain the greatest compensation possible for you and your family. How does this money affect my SSI? People who earn countable income above a certain monthly threshold, which is known as the Federal Benefit Rate (FBR), are ineligible to receive SSI benefits because they are not considered to be low-income by the SSA. That is because in order to be eligible for SSI, a disabled individual must pass an asset test. According to the SSI program, the more you earn, the less SSI benefits you receive. It may not seem much, but you have to remember that under the SSI, you must report every income and every expense. If you accept a lump sum settlement, you must report it to your Social Security caseworker within 10 days. The Clark Law Office main location is located on Okemos Rd, Okemos.

We're open 8AM-6PM. Copyright © Hasbrook & Hasbrook 2020. Learning how a settlement will impact your benefits and your options for protecting those benefits, will ensure you get the best possible outcome for your situation. It also pays for medical treatments, prescription drugs, check-ups, home care, and even medical equipment. The Clark Law Office. I got my medical bills covered, got my lost wages back, and they even started a third party case against the other driver.

An individual’s financial situation and the amount of a settlement will determine the best way to protect SSI and Medicaid eligibility. Supplemental Security Income, commonly called SSI, provides critical financial support for thousands of Oklahomans and millions of Americans throughout the U.S.  A car accident settlement can impact your monthly SSI payments, but with help from an experienced attorney, it may be possible to avoid losing your benefits.

A severe car accident carries financial burdens as well as physical pain and mental anguish for injured persons. When I talked to The Clark Law Office, they let me know exactly how my case was going to play out and didn’t sugarcoat anything which I appreciated. The Michigan Attorney General’s Office has officially been asked to review the details surrounding a Ferndale man who died during a 2014 altercation with Northland... 1000 Town Center, Suite 500 About 8.4% of these beneficiaries – roughly 5.5 million people – exclusively receive SSI. For additional questions you can call us at (517) 347-6900 or you can find us on Yelp and BBB. He also charged less than what the other firm wanted….25 vs 40%. How Does an Insurance Adjuster Evaluate My Car’s Value? For every extra dollar you earn, your SSI benefit decreases by 50 cents. A personal injury lawyer of Hasbrook & Hasbrook brings years of experience to every claim. Upon reviewing your information, the SSA should send you a notice informing you that you are over the SSI income limit and that your benefits will be reduced or terminated, which will generally lead to a loss of your Medicaid coverage. For any person, the situation is easy to resolve. So, essentially, in addition to the SSI monthly payments that recipients get, they can also receive every three months an additional Medicaid payment of up to $42. My experience with The Clark Law Office was excellent. Medicaid is a healthcare program that pays for the medical expenses of persons who are disabled, elderly, young, or poor. I just needed some legal advice regarding my medical malpractice issue and I talked to the attorney for over 15 minutes.

What is great about Medicaid is that it doesn’t only pay for hospitalization. When you get into a car accident and end up getting into a personal injury settlement, this can affect your SSI and Medicaid eligibility.

SSI has income and resource limits and a settlement can be an income. One vehicle used by you or someone in your household; Life insurance that you own with a per person face value of $1,500; Burial plots for you or your immediate family members; Burial fund of $1,500 or less for you, or burial expenses for your spouse; Things that you or your spouse uses for trade or business, or things you use for your job if you are employed; or, If you set your money aside for a Plan to Achieve Self-Support (PASS). After a severe car accident, you shouldn’t have to choose between accepting a settlement for damages or keeping your SSI and Medicaid benefits. It may not seem much, but you have to remember … Your SSI attorney can evaluate your situation and determine exactly how your benefits might be affected based on the amount of your settlement. However, it’s not the same for everyone. However, this is not always a good choice for clients, …

Put simply, your “countable” income is whatever money is left over after you exclude: The applicant’s “resources” are also considered toward the income limit, including: An SSI recipient’s combined resources must not exceed a value of: The compensation from a car accident settlement can cause your monthly income to surpass the FBR threshold enforced by the SSA. I talked to a few attorneys before calling them and I just felt like they were hiding something from me. If the settlement amount pushes you over the income limit, your SSI and Medicaid benefits could be affected. As personal injury attorneys, we choose to represent people instead of corporations and insurance companies. Yet, accepting a settlement after a car accident can also affect your supplemental security income (SSI) and Medicaid benefits. They go out of their way to get you the most. I recommend them highly! I received a spinal injury from a rear-end-collision and after getting frustrated with my insurance company, I finally decided I needed a lawyer on my side. Clayton Hasbrook practices in the area of general litigation, with an emphasis on personal injury law. He was easy to talk to and gave his time to talk to me for free.

Spending settlement money to keep SSI and Medicaid benefits is typically associated with small settlement amounts. How Does a Car Accident Settlement Affect My Medicaid and SSI Eligibility?

You could miss days of work, and you might need special medical treatments or medications.

According to the SSA, the following are excluded in calculating your resource limit: Create a Special Needs Trust or a Pooled Trust. Michigan typically determines Medicaid eligibility based on an individual’s income, specifically their modified adjusted gross income (MAGI). When you get into a car accident and end up getting into a personal injury settlement, this can affect your SSI and Medicaid eligibility. For those who are entering into a settlement negotiation or have been injured and want to know their rights it is important to consider the following avenues. I had no idea that my own insurance company would pay for the surgery and I could recover most of my lost wages.

You can seek out a settlement between you and the other car owner, or you can claim from your insurance.

If your settlement causes you to earn more than the monthly limit, you could lose your eligibility for SSI benefits, or see a substantial reduction in your monthly SSI payments. There is no doubt that both David and Matthew are exceptional attorneys. All Rights Reserved. The first law firm had my case for a year and then said ‘here’s your settlement, we recommend it, and it’s all we can get you, but take it or leave it, this is a good settlement for your type of small case.’ It was barely anything. Timing is of the essence. One of these criteria is earning less countable monthly income than $733. The attorney I spoke to was very nice and understanding. After my auto accident, I didn’t think I would be able to go back to work.

Common Back and Neck Injuries Following a Rear-End Collision, The Dangers Of Reckless Driving To You and Others On The Road, SSI is different from social security disability insurance (SSDI). Both David and Matt worked on my case and I couldn’t be happier with my results. The Social Security Administration (SSI) provides benefits to people in three different ways, and a personal car accident settlement impacts each one differently. All Rights Reserved. You must report any changes in your income to the SSA. He listened to everything I had to say and gave me a great course of action and really helped ease my mind. Those over age 65 and disabled persons under age 65 receive Medicare regardless of income; however, Medicare recipients must pay a small premium, some hospital bills, and copays. Getting into an accident is terrifying. Section 8 housing), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)/food stamps, Life insurance policies with a maximum face value of $1,500 per person. Clayton is a member of the Oklahoma Bar Association, Oklahoma County Bar Association, American Association of Justice, Oklahoma Association of Justice, and the National Trial Lawyers “Top 40 under 40.”. We will keep your information confidential. Two popular options include spending down settlement proceeds and creating a special needs trust. Buying a car or paying off a car, if the SSI recipient is on the title. Opting Out of PIP Medical Coverage If You Have Medicare. Yet, many rules are associated with spending down settlement money. We are located about 10 minutes from the Capital Region International Airport (LAN). However, the 2016 FBR remains unchanged from the 2015 FBR of $733 per month for single individuals and $1,100 for married couples. Depending on the assessment of the Social Security Administration, the monthly payments can go as high as $771.

SSI monthly payments are sought after to allow eligible persons to pay for their basic needs. In addition, you can only spend money on things which the SSA will not count as resources to push you above the threshold. The federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program pays monthly benefits to disabled adults and those over age 65 with limited income, as well as children.

If out-of-court negotiations don’t result in an acceptable settlement offer, our auto accident attorneys are more than ready to take your case to court. All items which aren’t income from employment. Receiving a car accident settlement can alleviate some or all financial burden and reduce stress, allowing injured victims to focus on recovery and rehabilitation. Home » Blog » Will a Personal Car Accident Settlement Affect My SSI and Medicaid Eligibility?

Very Satisfied. Answer: Yes. If you were receiving SSI benefits and had just gotten into a personal car accident settlement, know that there are legal ways to protect your eligibility. First the money received can be spent down, which means spent within a short period of time upon receipt. Creating a Special Needs Trust is a complex process, so you should consult with an experienced attorney for help getting started. It just means that you will have to be smarter in managing the amount of settlement you received. The FBR represents not only the monthly earnings limit on countable income, but also the maximum monthly payment an SSI recipient can receive. A very small number of people qualify for both, which is called “concurrent benefits.” According to the SSA, the average monthly SSI payment in 2016 is about $540, while the average monthly SSDI payment is closer to $1,160. Learning how a settlement will impact your benefits and your options for protecting those benefits, will ensure … You can see a full list here. Medicaid is government-subsidized healthcare coverage for low-income adults, children, pregnant women, and those with disabilities. That does not mean that you should not accept settlement when it happens, however. Our team of lawyers has years of experience in handling personal injury cases, including settlements and benefits. He worked on my case more in one month than the previous law firm and was able to settle my case for close to 2x what the earlier law firm could do.